How much time a day / week do you spend making music?

Not as much as I would F$@%ing like is the answer!

Usually 3 - 4 hours a day.

Kinda hard to hide away these days with having to occasionally talk to people in the house, wash, surf the net etc… LOL 

Still not enough though. I’d love to have a Sky+ sometimes & pause everything so I can just get the head down. Theres always something else that needs doing, or assisting with around here! :w00t:

None, really. It’s rare I bother.

I go in spurts. Sometimes, nothing. Sometimes, I do alot of reading and learning, especially with going to Berklee. But then there are other times that I go nuts and do a 6 hour session. I really all depends.

Usually 3 - 4 hours a day too in the evenings - but life does seem to kick that out too touch so does hangovers

bloody hell 4h is amazing!!!

Can’t do 4 hours. I try and spend 2 hours a day, but life does get in the way even for that. Have dinner plans, what can you do? :wink:

maybe 4/5h day…not allways makin music, but learning and try stuff.

Well - Its quality not quantity…

I’ve just spent the guts of 2hours d!cking around with a vocal sample rewired from Live & in the process changed everything except the Kick & the Snare in the track.

Now I’ve decided its all Sh!t. That’ll teach me for not doing what I know I should be finishing.

Ah well… :hehe:

random bursts, but if i have a track that i want to finish i try and monster it out as i find if i leave them too long i just wont finish them

yeah, life in general gets in the way!

i could do it all day if i had the chance but i get 2-3 hrs at the most.

always on a night time as well

i do 3-4 hours a day. work 9-5 so I have to do that during the day.

i wonder how much more I would get done if all I did was produce.

[quote]ICN (19/07/2010)[hr]Well - Its quality not quantity…

I’ve just spent the guts of 2hours d!cking around with a vocal sample rewired from Live & in the process changed everything except the Kick & the Snare in the track.

Now I’ve decided its all Sh!t. That’ll teach me for not doing what Iknow I should be finishing.

Ah well…:hehe:[/quote]

Disagree… Its all in how you work. Sometimes, I just want to get my melodies and notes down. i could care less about sound design at the time. The ideas are poppping in my head and Im getting them down as fast as possible. thats why i love ableton live.

To help solve your problem though, you should COMMIT to your sounds. if you are having this problem, you need to do this. For instance…one of the reasons (one of many) that I like about hardware synths is that they make you commit to your sound. You make your sound, play around with it and then record it in and bounce it. No more fudging around and you can MOVE ON!!! I love it! Now when it comes to flexibility, dont get me wrong, VST’s are great an all, but sometimes you can get alot more done with external gear.

I know what you mean Howie… But tbh… it was just a bit of a Jam really anyway… a little bit of an experiment.

I had no expectation to really get anything out of it in the end! LOL

Thats why it pays to have a musical idea @ the start.

On the Plus side - I’ve got a kinda cool vocal that I can use in another project sometime… Maybe :rolleyes:

AND a bit more experience @ making Bass in Sylenth.

Thats good enough sometimes :slight_smile:

a couple of hours a week on average, sometimes i get a full Saturday in here or there, and my mrs is very understanding but have a baby due in 5 weeks so imagine it will be much less for at least a few months.

At the moment I seem to be spending about 6 hours a day on it, I don’t seem to be getting much done as in finishing tracks but I am trying to learn new things hands on, also my virus TI2 come last week so been trying to get my head around that aswell!

Does help that I am on summer holiday from college so have aload of free time on my hands.

:cool:

Not as much as I would like to these days.  Maybe 2 hours a day during the week after work and maybe 4 to 5 hours at night on the weekends once the wife and kids are off to bed.

Not as much time as I would like. On average 1-3 hours a day If I’m lucky, having a full time job and a little girl means time is tight but I’ll spend all day on one day of the weekend to make up for it. Things move slowly but I’m at a stage where I’m actually finishing tracks, something I wasn’t doing a year ago.

Agree with you howie as I use as hardware as much as possible. Once you’ve recorded it that’s it you’re stuck with it and can move on. Things develope from there. Now If I use a soft synth once I’m happy with the sound I’ll record it and stick with that from there on

[quote]Aapie (19/07/2010)[hr]a couple of hours a week on average, sometimes i get a full Saturday in here or there, and my mrs is very understanding but have a baby due in 5 weeks so imagine it will be much less for at least a few months.[/quote]d

Treat yourself to some nice closed ear headphones Mate - You’ll be needing them for a while! LOL

Best of luck - My little fella is nearly 2 now. Thank God he still goes for a nap in the afternoon! :slight_smile:

[quote]rcorbo (19/07/2010)[hr]Not as much as I would like to these days.  Maybe 2 hours a day during the week after work and maybe 4 to 5 hours at night on the weekends once the wife and kids are off to bed.[/quote]

Very similar to me…

Me - Creeping into bed @ 3 in the morning hoping I dont get “What time is it?” :smiley:

Although better that than - “Help Help! Intruder!!!”

Eh, sorry, wrong bedroom… :Whistling: :hehe:

[quote]Mussi81 (19/07/2010)[hr]Agree with you howie as I use as hardware as much as possible. Once you’ve recorded it that’s it you’re stuck with it and can move on. Things develope from there. Now If I use a soft synth once I’m happy with the sound I’ll record it and stick with that from there on[/quote]

Yeah, resampling is great an all for soft synths, but if you have a beginner, they might forget to keep the filter open so you can automate it! :wink: