How To Make - Melodic Techno with Chymera / 260

Sonic Academy welcomes the Berlin based Irish music maker Chymera to the helm for this truly deep and wonderful ‘How To Make Melodic Techno’ course.

Chymera’s productions often fit comfortably between house and techno, and range from deeper cuts to more dancefloor focussed tracks, but always with a keen sense of melody. He has released various diverse and respected labels as Ovum, NRK, Delsin, Cocoon, and Connoisseur who released his 2012 album ‘Death By Misadventure.

As an added bonus he has uploaded 100 samples from his Oberhiem Matrix 1000 in the resources for you to use in your own productions. So enjoy this journey into the deep.

We need more Chymera ! Great tutorial! Detailed in a simple way!

1 Like

You’ll be pleased to know we have more Chymera on the way - end of this month/early next!

Fantastic Chris! Bring us techno!

and its a little darker this time round - the darker the better right?

Hi, Sonic Academy. Could you make more tutorials something like "How to make Calvin Harris type of music"? I don't mind what kind of DAW you use. This one, "Melodic Techno", I couldn't understand the esthetic unfortunately, and to my ears I heard lots of dissonance in Tutorial no.7 to 9. I don't know what to say, but Calvin Harris style of music is the basic music production everybody need to learn. Also, Chymera using "Sampler" with samples already recorded from hardware synth to make synth sound in the video but I would like to learn how to program those sound in synth. Why do I write this? Because I am a paid subscriber. Not free youtube videos.

I loved this tutorial. It's great to see such a creative/talented artist such as Chymera do his thing and share it with us. I remember getting an email about this at work today and was excited to come home and watch it. This and the Vince Watson - Chill House are by far my favs. Keep artist like this coming!

PS I think this track is amazing!!!!

No Sonic, Please don't, Calvin Harris is awful.... This was a brilliant tutorial... creative and inspiring and making more than the boring, corporate, money orientated, pop drivel kids are being brainwashed with today... Plus there are already 31 Electro House, 22 Main Room House and 10 Swedish House tutorials on this site. Taking Elements of each of these tutorials you can make any POP nonsense you like!

Oh, really.. Im not stick to Calvin Harris actually. so how about Showtek or totally other kind of music like Pop/R&B? I'm not a big fan of Calvin Harris or Showtek neither (I prefer Hip Hop ) But I just would like to learn more musical stuff and universal production knowledge and skills.

I'm also a paid subscriber and I'll cacel my subscription if it goes into that direction :P
There's plenty of that cheap stuff on youtube..

I just noticed "Fast Track Build Techno by Phil" is very useful for me, though it's Techno. So, maybe I just don't prefer this tutorial in quality wise personally. It's like youtube free tutorial. Sorry if you feel uncomfortable.

I'm sitting quite comfortably, enjoying this tutorial for the second time thank you..... Have a good day

maybe if you are looking for sound design you should search the videos this way - http://goo.gl/LUfYmL

Oh Chymera - why pan the shaker right on the channel in video 6 then left with a utility in video 14?? oops

Sonic Academy - I'm finding these videos stuttering too much. Any bandwidth issues? Is it not possible to upload to Youtube as private so it's more reliable?

Hi! Great tutorial.. normally i dont get much from tutorials but this and vince watson's of late have been truly excellent. Its fantastic to see how others work. 1 question i do have though.. i've actually tried recording midi using your technique of using a separate channel to record with. I'm not seeing any benefits from using this technique over the traditional way of just recording directly into the channel. Is there a reason you work this way? Thanks

Hi Balz. thanks for your comment and glad you enjoyed it. There are 2 reasons I recorded the midi in this way. yes you can just record direct into the channel but because I was using the pitch plugin the midi notes in the piano roll would not actually be showing the correct notes being played. For instance if I wanted to drag the midi clip onto another channel I would also have to either put a pitch plugin on it, or transpose the notes manually in the piano roll to the correct pitch. Also, because I was playing in notes on multiple tracks, I would have had to drag in a new pitch plugin and the m4l device each time so it was just more practical to have it one channel at all times and to record the correct midi into each other channel.

didn't even notice! :)

thank you will, glad you enjoyed it

Hi guys. I'm running ableton 9.0.6 on a mac and i don't have the analog "bass-simple bass.adg" preset. I have other basses but not that one. Where can I find that or could you upload it? thank you

excellent tutorial thank you:)