How To Make - Techno with Mac Vaughn / 1503

Techno with Mac Vaughn

View Course

It’s Takeover Time again here at Sonic Academy, and this time we’re taking on Techno!

We’re proudly welcoming back Mac Vaughn for this epic ‘How To Make’ as he breaks down and recreates his powerful and dark track Leviathan from scratch in Ableton. Starting with an in-depth look at the features that define a fast bass line Techno track, we begin by building the layered drums, bass rumble and bass lines before moving on to the lead and breakdown. After arranging and automating the basic structure, we dive into some sound design to fill out the track and build on the story before carrying out a mix and master.
This monster of a track is built using solely stock and free plugins - and of course Kick 2 and ANA 2, and packed with tips, tricks and techniques to help you create your own dark, pounding techno floor-filler.

But that’s not all…!

To celebrate this event we’re hosting another Remix Competition where you can use your newfound skills and make your very own version of this track with some incredible and exclusive prizes up for grabs!

Find out more by clicking on the ‘REMIX COMPETITION’ tab above!

Contest Ends 20/03/2023 - 23:59 PT

Throughout this event, we’ll be chatting with you guys and answering any questions both in the comments section here and over on our dedicated forums page here!

learning a lot of cool new things, i dig it

2 Likes

Hi Mac!

Excellent song and I like your style of teaching. If I do enter the remix competition it will be difficult to decide what to make different because everything works so well together the way you produced it.

2 Likes

Are we limited to only using the samples in the resources? Or we can use one-shot samples from other packs and/or synths other than ANA?

Absolutely- use whatever you want

@Brycewalker

So glad you asked this question. I have never even done a remake and I don’t have Ana and Kick 2 yet and was worried I couldn’t even play a riff on my guitar or put in my own hi-hat. In the description it said no samples and I thought the same thing you did.

great to see Mac back… that floating mouse though… aarrrgh! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Idk what I doing wrong but the slapback echo effect isnt working when I added it to the chain. I followed every step before that.

nvm i figured it out. How embarrassing lol

1 Like

Hey everyone! Mac Vaughn here. Glad to see people enjoying the course! I’m here if anyone has any specific questions! Cant’ wait to hear the remixes!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate that. I think if I were to remix it, I’d change up the bassline but keep the sound design elements and strip those back more… but that’s just me! :slight_smile:

I’m glad to be back! … whats a floating mouse?! :sweat_smile:

The mouse cursor appears to drift across the screen at times - maybe its just my eyes! :slight_smile:

Great insight into your workflow and very much appreciated Mac

1 Like

I noticed that too with the mouse… I just thought you had the track speed at an extremely low setting or something. But only appears during the first few vids.

BTW excellent course. Loads of good tips here!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback! I’m just making sure you guys are awake! haha jk. Glad you’re getting something out of it. :metal:

cool

2 Likes

I’m glad someone said something about the mouse cursor that was driving my ADHD mad. :rofl:

1 Like

Mac gives good references and explains what he is doing and why clearly. Lots of good workflow tips, -10 create that headroom yo.

Demystified the key elements of sound selection/design/mixing in this genre which I have found hard to functionally replicate

Mac is quite relatable throughout … though in particular when we forget the name of a plug-in and stare at the search bar like camaaan!! I been trying LES to combat this

Minor issue watching the mouse cursor from the capture software.
An ableton v10 project would be nice. Still happy with the insight the other assets has provided

10/10 will watch again , and provably again

2 Likes

@biddiss Thank you so much for the feedback and I’m super happy to hear you’re enjoying the course! :metal:

1 Like

Hey Everyone - A reminder for those thinking of entering the remix competition Chris and Phil will be doing a LIVE SHOW next Tuesday 14th March at 7 PM GMT

Already some really great mixes in, so if you want your track to be included, then use the upload link below.

Submit mixes in any state, it doesn’t really matter, it’s about tips, tricks, and getting help to finish your tracks to be in with a chance of winning that £500!

Upload HERE

3 Likes