How To Make - Timelapse with Jerome Isma-Ae / 640

Timelapse with Jerome Isma-Ae

View Course

Back by popular demand Sonic Academy proudly welcomes Jerome Isma-Ae and Alastor for a brand new course, and this time they’re showing us how to make their new atmospheric, synth-laden track - Timelapse.

Once again, Jerome and Alastor show us that keeping things simple can still have the ability to create awesome emotive soundscapes, and Timelapse, with it’s ever-shifting and phasing percussive elements along with a driving bassline and arpeggiated synth line is no exception.

Over these twelve videos and a relatively short two and half hours, we start on a completely blank canvas, firstly building the kick and bass before adding the all-important arp and building up the groove with percussive elements. As we move into the arrangement of the track we continue adding more atmospheric synth effects, pads, and basslines before structuring the breakdown and main section, tweaking, automating and fine-tuning as we go, to get that distinctive sci-fi soundtrack-like end result.

And it doesn’t stop there!

As with Jerome’s last two awesome courses, we’ve teamed up with Jee Productions again to run another fantastic remix competition!

The How To Make Timelapse Remix Contest is exclusive, here on Sonic Academy and you could be in with a chance of winning some cool prizes and ultimately getting a release on Jerome’s very own label Jee Productions which focuses on releasing cutting edge music and considered one of top Progressive House labels by Beatport.

With the recent success of our other remix competitions, we’re proud to have one of the best music-making communities anywhere, and the level of production skillz coming through the forums is truly amazing to see.
So, ourselves, Jerome and Alastor are super excited to see what you guys can come up with - we know you can smash it. You can now download the stems from this awesome tune and start working your magic!

We have shown you how to make the tune, now it’s over to you to get creative, make a dope remix of this track and show the world your production talent.

Just click the ‘Enter Remix Comp’ button above to find out more! This competition is open to all Sonic Academy registered users.

Contest ends - 2018-10-05 06:00:00 UTC

Amazing Tutorials !
Use the correct plugins to choose the correct sounds for ingenuity. Creating a Clean Techno Beat without millions kicks, claps,hihats layering and compression :))
Many courses confuse people’s heads and are completely commercial. but the Sonic Academy and Jerome and also Dualistic are quite honest. Thanks again…
E.D. Music live forever.

1 Like

Missing out mixdown & mastering best practice of this track as this makes the last 20% of this track & a significant difference in hearing experience.

Really happy to have them back!

Top! Jerome is the best

Nice!

awesome, let’s do this :slight_smile:

1 Like

nice! learned some cool stuff from this!

Just completed watching this one, excellent course from the tandem J. & A. again. Amazing how simple techniques carefully applied and well fine tuned can make the magic happen. Good one, thanks.
@danyholm You’re probably not missing anything secret on the mix-down & mastering part in this tutorial. Jerome likes to keep it simple and the Glue + OTT + PSP Vintage warmer & Voxengo Elephant really makes the Mastering Channel. In his previous tutorial How To Make “FICTION” you’ll be surprised that the Mastering Channel was even more simple than this one ( just OTT actually ) and it works !!

1 Like

Really enjoyed this tutorial. This tune, even though quite simple in it’s structure, easily keeps you interested throughout its length. There is definitely a skill in keeping things simple and interesting, one which I don’t possess unfortunately! Subtle changes and adding/removing of elements seems so easy, yet always eludes me! Can’t wait for more from J&A.

2 Likes

This was exactly what I needed to see to spark my creativity. Awesome tutorial!

WOW, this track is so chill and fresh, I love it!

Hi again @LogicProHacks

Yes, there’s definitely an appealing musicality in this one :wink: and this was done using Logic Pro X so it might be a good one to watch. The quite simple but very well engineered process during the all track creation is just amazing.

And if you love it, then it’s your chance to have even more fun and to get involve in the running Remix-Competition until 5th of October. :wink:

Remix Competition! It’s Logic, it’s very Chill-Step like, I am so In! :smile:

1 Like

Rather than just be given that Hi Hat groove in Tutorial 4, i’d like to know how to make it… it is panning, some hits are louder than others and the hit length is modulated through the track if you listen to the stem file.

For this particular track this would need to be answered by @jeromeismaae but on a general basis, setting up your Midi Velocity to 99% in Logic ( or enabling midi velocity in other DAW ) and playing with Midi notes length & velocity will create this variation in volume & length. Panning is rather a result of using tremolo & delay or/and panning automation.

A copy of the midi file (included in the project/stems file) for the Main Synth in tutorial 9 would have been nice too… its a pain in the a$$ to copy off the video (i’m recreating this in ableton)

@djmarcatkins
it would have been nice yes, I kind of agree, but it’s also a way to learn things better than having the all work done for you. But anyway, here is my personal best effort on this… :wink:
!MIDI.zip (4.6 KB)

Awesome

love the track ^^