How To Make - Uplifting Trance with Bjorn Akesson / 213

After his interview with Chris, Swedish native and uplifting trance star Bjorn Akesson is back on Sonic Academy, this time with a monster course - How To Make Uplifting Trance, Bjorn shows from the first kick to the last effect, how to produce an uplifting 138 monster in this 7 hour course in Cubase 8. He starts by looking at how to write a main theme, builds the drums and basslines, then moves to some truly great lead layering tricks and tips and finishes off adding in some serious effects and finally mixing

Learn from one of the hottest trance producers in the world today, right here on Sonic Academy!

1 Like

not a fan of trance , but this guy know whats he doing . great tutorial . specially for the Cubase Heads like me :smiley:

2 Likes

Glad you liked. Its hard sometimes to get cubase based producers, but will try and get more on!

Excellent tutorial from one the masters of Trance music ,enjoyed watching it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please looks like a great course but why do you insist on using cubase nobody uses this software anymore would be much more useful in Logic and/or Ableton for cross platform

I was really stoked when I noticed this uplifting trance course - and then happy as Larry when I saw it was done in Cubase. Thank you, Sonic Academy!

Looks great. I will watch this (when I get some time) because it's in Cubase 8. Thanks.

Cubase is awesome! I know load of producers who use it.

except the automation in it, ofc. triggered MidiShaper LFO curves can help

but yepp awesome, can use Nora if u need session clips as idea generator ( http://www.kick101.com/nora-ex... ), Reaktor 6 Blocks if need modularity BC PatchWork if u need layering (simulate AL device racks) etc. so needs some additionally VST(i) plugins if u want to work with it comfortably but with them (so after u find your creative workflow) is definitely unbeatable

Maybe so but more that don't than do..

Hey Craig, we use whatever is the producers DAW, and Cubans is still widely used, I know of several producers using it. However we have included all midi files and wave renders of synths used so you can follow in any DAW. All daws do pretty much the same his thing.

Oh okay Chris i am not being awkward or anything it's just frustrating when i see things in Cubase :-) And btw am i talking to Agnelli of Agnelli and Nelson?!?!

Totally disagree having dropped,Ableton,FL Studio and Bitwig to move to Cubase myself,so there is plenty of users,also Cubase is cross platform available on PC & Mac 32 & 64 bit,besides all production techniques are universal and can be applied to any DAW,after all a DAW is nothing more than an audio engine.

Awesome job again guy's,Bjorn did an excellent job and the content just keeps increasing in quality,only thing that is missing is that monster Mark Sherry Tech-Trance course,come on Chris I know you can make it happen haha,keep up the great work guy's =)

Looking forward to getting stuck into this, the track sounds great. I don't mind at all when the tutorials are not in the DAW i use (Logic Pro X), i find i learn more at times looking around Logic trying to recreate things that are different. The question i had been asking about mass automation in the forum was due to something i had seen James Dymond do on FL Studio, today i finally nailed it in Logic. Plus in your fast track build in Ableton i picked up some great tips for effects and percussion that i managed to recreate....Even more of a bonus when the midi files are included. Keep the trance coming, in Logic would be great, but anything else is not a problem for me. Bjorn is a quality producer so no doubt this tutorial is going to be fantastic. Thanks guys.

The track is fantastic!!! Is there any way we could get the A.N.A presets used in the course in case we are using another DAW?

This has been one of the best tutorials I've seen on here. Clear and concise use of eq and compression. I love that it is in Cubase and also like the style of genre.
Thank you to all involved!

although still an intermediate one, so an expert would be nice, check Max Braiman (MaXXXXX2) videos on youtube, he would be a nice guest tutor :) (with a translator maybe)

a trance related musical mode changes in the song structure series would be nice (if we say expert) for example, I know that there are some on http://trancemusicmastery.com/ but would be nice here too

or how to create depth in your mix, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?... just in trance etc.

Hi Xbitz, I have watched Max's stuff and while he sure knows what he is doing, there is no commentary with his videos. We are very much about the 'WHY' here at SA. 'Why' you are using this particular plugin, 'why' you are turning the filter to that position, 'why' are you Eqing this way etc etc. With Max you do not get any of that, very valuable, and necessary insight to the mind of the producer. Bjorn is at the top of his game and he has shown you exactly how HE produces - so to our mind this is expert level, this is exactly how beatport no 1s are made, nothing more complex than shown really.

about Max, maybe money talks(or create commentary), dog barks. :))

this video, it was not an offense ofc. Bjorn has used well known techniques(nothing magic like how to use subconscious beats in trance music like things :) ) so it's an intermediate,

in expert level I'm really curious thinks(the background) like mode changes for ex. Arty in Rush uses Eb major scale with F tonal center(2nd scale degree) which is F Dorian mode except in the break/chorus where it has been changed to Eb(1st scale degree) Ionian(major) mode (and he uses mode changes in all of his songs), so a tutorial about the mode changes would be nice :)

or how to create secondary etc.melodies using counterpoint techniques so series about not just the "basic" well known things like how to set eq/compressor/reverb/DAW routing ones

or an expert series about tension building http://edmprod.com/tension/ there are so many exciting topic in trance :))

Hey xbitz, we have a new theory course in development, but it will be starting from a very basic level. This will develop over the year to more complex principles in theory however. Whilst I understand you wanting to step up your learning - I really feel you are very much over complicating things. Arty - Rush is simply in F min scale with the chords being Fm Cm b flat with a lovely resolved A flat. Its that simple! I hope this helps.