How to sound like anything else than dance oriented music

Hello all,

I have been a member of Sonic Academy for a while and I must say that the choice of material for tutorials is getting a little old. To me they all sound as variations over a dance music template with the same old “4 to the floor” beat.

I would suggest tutorials that go beyond the very basic dance oriented theme. How about a series of tutorials based on berlin school electronica, e.g. Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schultze etc?

I guess you can make very inspiring tutorials on how to use various sequencer patterns and analogue synthesizer sounds to get that “Berlin School” sound.

Just a suggestion.

I agree - I love SA and think a far more varied style of music is now needed. I hasten to add, however, that I post this not as a ‘gripe’ or ‘moan’ because I still think this is easily the best site on the web. More radically diverse styles of music, however, would make a good site great.

+1

I agree and disagree. Pick up a guitar and start to play and hit the record button. You might come up with something really cool! I believe that SA is dedicated to the more organized forms of dance music (ie. Drum n Bass, House, Trance, Breaks, etc…). Perhaps you might be leaning more toward IDM? I dunno, try something different. But know that anything you learned on this site can be transferred to anything you do. The best producers (regardless of what they make) do things different then us. They tinker, develop their sound, and think outside the box.

[quote]howiegroove (1/29/2010)[hr]I agree and disagree. Pick up a guitar and start to play and hit the record button. You might come up with something really cool! I believe that SA is dedicated to the more organized forms of dance music (ie. Drum n Bass, House, Trance, Breaks, etc…). Perhaps you might be leaning more toward IDM? I dunno, try something different. But know that anything you learned on this site can be transferred to anything you do. The best producers (regardless of what they make) do things different then us. They tinker, develop their sound, and think outside the box.[/quote]

Well, I don’t think you get the point! Basically you’re just saying that Sonic Academy should be a dedicated dance music site because it fits your style! And the rest of us should hit the road! However, that’s not how SA brands themselves in their logo tag line: “Learn Music Technology”.

I agree that various bits and pieces you pick up along the way following the dance music tutorials can be transferred to different electronic music styles. But the specific techniques from these genres - and there are many - can NOT be LEARNED from a dance music tutorial.

And in my point of view SA is a LEARNING site. I have no intent of making or producing music that should be released professionally/commercially!

Finally, your referral to how professional producers do things is not of much use in this debate. If you’re saying that I should pick up the needed knowledge from outside SA because that is what pro producers do then the same statement apply to those who want’s more dance music tutorials. And then what’s the point of being a member of SA in the first place if that’s how things work!

More non dance music oriented tutorials now, please! If SA only want’s to produce dance music oriented stuff then they should make it clear!

guys

we have lots of non dance music related tutorials in the pipeline including tutorials on recording live music (drums, guitars, vocals), musical theory etc etc

watch this space

kev

Nice one - keep up the good work SA! I’m starting to feel the love again… :smiley:

[quote]zenstories (1/30/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (1/29/2010)[hr]I agree and disagree. Pick up a guitar and start to play and hit the record button. You might come up with something really cool! I believe that SA is dedicated to the more organized forms of dance music (ie. Drum n Bass, House, Trance, Breaks, etc…). Perhaps you might be leaning more toward IDM? I dunno, try something different. But know that anything you learned on this site can be transferred to anything you do. The best producers (regardless of what they make) do things different then us. They tinker, develop their sound, and think outside the box.[/quote]

Well, I don’t think you get the point! Basically you’re just saying that Sonic Academy should be a dedicated dance music site because it fits your style! And the rest of us should hit the road! However, that’s not how SA brands themselves in their logo tag line: “Learn Music Technology”.

I agree that various bits and pieces you pick up along the way following the dance music tutorials can be transferred to different electronic music styles. But the specific techniques from these genres - and there are many - can NOT be LEARNED from a dance music tutorial.

And in my point of view SA is a LEARNING site. I have no intent of making or producing music that should be released professionally/commercially!

Finally, your referral to how professional producers do things is not of much use in this debate. If you’re saying that I should pick up the needed knowledge from outside SA because that is what pro producers do then the same statement apply to those who want’s more dance music tutorials. And then what’s the point of being a member of SA in the first place if that’s how things work!

More non dance music oriented tutorials now, please! If SA only want’s to produce dance music oriented stuff then they should make it clear!

[/quote]

can you mention the style of Music that you want to learn ?

i dont understand what are you trying to request.

SA does a great job in their tutorials, and if you want to learn how how to make for example . jazz Music . you need to study more like Music Theory .

at least i would like to know what kind of Genere you are trying to learn.

@ali, right…i would like to know as well. I think the theory tutorial will help and give you more knowledge that you can use to apply to anything you would like. Honestly though, people go to school for years to learn that stuff. Its not something that you can learn in one 30 minute video tutorial. I learn that kind of stuff from reading. I also took piano lessons for 8 years, and saxophone (alto and baritone) for 6 years. It took a long time learning theory, and lemme tell ya…its not easy (or fun for that matter).

@alinenunez & howiegroove:

Please, read my first post in this thread! I did in fact suggest a tutorial on how to sound like »Berlin School Electronica«… If you are not familiar with that genre I have compiled a playlist on youtube:

Klaus Schulze Live WDR Köln 1977 - YouTube

Also, this is my favorite music on SoundCloud. As you can hear I’m not a big fan of dance music myself. But I would love to watch tutorials on the genres that I do find interesting:

http://soundcloud.com/metrognome/favorites

Anyway, I don’t think I have said anything about learning music theory and jazz music! Your conclusions are therefore based on a false premise. I merely suggested that the tutorials on SA - which I find are great and of a very high quality, by the way - would also focus on non-dance music related genres in the future!

Then Howie said that SA was a dance music site only, hence SA users not interested in dance music should seek advice somewhere else. And I responded to that statement!

I apologize for any misunderstandings and need to clarify my point of view. English is not my first language and I’m sorry for any misunderstandings related to my poor language skills…

Peace! :slight_smile:

i was under the impression that sa so far has been for dance music only. i joined to learn how to make house music. dont see how you would think differently

SA don’t claim to be a dance music only site:

http://www.sonicacademy.com/content/About-SonicAcademy.com_185.aspx

However, the tutorials have more or less been dance music oriented so far. That’s why I suggested that SA covered a greater range of electronic music genres in the future!

Naturally, I understand from the debate so far that people who are interested in dance music only don’t want anything to change!

Chill Zen, we are having a discussion. If you read my response, I never said anything that you have come to the wrong place and go somewhere else. Here is exactly what I wrote…

“I believe that SA is dedicated to the more organized forms of dance music (ie. Drum n Bass, House, Trance, Breaks, etc…). Perhaps you might be leaning more toward IDM? I dunno, try something different. But know that anything you learned on this site can be transferred to anything you do.”

Please do not get upset at us, we are just trying to help you out.

I’m completely chilled…

I was just suggesting a new »how to sound like« tutorial and suddenly it’s all about wether SA is a pure dance music site or not.

Maybe it’s time for SA to clarify the matter!

Anyway, I think I have given some very constructive suggestions so far if you take the time to read my posts.

Peace… :slight_smile:

guys

let me explain what…

we have historically focussed on electronic music as that is the background that most of us came from - we’re djs and producers but we’re also musicians

we do a lot of non-dance music focussed training at our office in belfast

music (of every type) + technology are inextricably linked - you don’t have to be interested in dance music to be interested in learning how to make music and record your sounds…

there are potentially lots of people out there who aren’t interested in dance music who would benefit from our current tutorials AND I would suggest there are plenty of dance music heads who will benefit from some of the live music recording tutorials we have got coming up.

for the record - we have NEVER said that we are just about dance music. we’re about making music technology training accessible to people.

keep an open mind and you never know what you might learn…

kev

[quote]zenstories (2/2/2010)[hr]@alinenunez & howiegroove:

Please, read my first post in this thread! I did in fact suggest a tutorial on how to sound like »Berlin School Electronica«… If you are not familiar with that genre I have compiled a playlist on youtube:

Klaus Schulze Live WDR Köln 1977 - YouTube

Also, this is my favorite music on SoundCloud. As you can hear I’m not a big fan of dance music myself. But I would love to watch tutorials on the genres that I do find interesting:

http://soundcloud.com/metrognome/favorites

Anyway, I don’t think I have said anything about learning music theory and jazz music! Your conclusions are therefore based on a false premise. I merely suggested that the tutorials on SA - which I find are great and of a very high quality, by the way - would also focus on non-dance music related genres in the future!

Then Howie said that SA was a dance music site only, hence SA users not interested in dance music should seek advice somewhere else. And I responded to that statement!

I apologize for any misunderstandings and need to clarify my point of view. English is not my first language and I’m sorry for any misunderstandings related to my poor language skills…

Peace! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

SA is not only for EDM .

Electronica influence came from every other style of EDM .

if you are trying to learn  you should already know that every tutorial points different studio techniques.

that doesnt meant because i want to learn how to work a  Gltchhop track . I have to only watch Glitchhop tutorials right?.

all SA tutorials are  a good source of studio techniquest that you can aply for electronica .

[quote]that doesnt meant because i want to learn how to worka Gltchhop track . I have to only watch Glitchhop tutorials right?.[/quote]

No, but it would certainly help… :smiley:

But, if it’s of no importance to you why don’t you agree to a bigger variety within the music genres? As you said: If you want to learn how to work a dance music track that doesn’t mean you should only watch dance music tutorials, right?..

Anyway, I guess the folks at SA made it clear that this site is for all musical genres! I guess we will soon see tutorials on how to use sample libraries to make replicas of classical music pieces. Personally, I’m looking forward to that one… :wink:

@Zen

I never disagreed with bigger variety of Music . you missed the whole point what i wanted to say . what i mean was that every tutorial have good studio techniques that can fit in any type of Music you want to Produce. even in sampling !!!

maybe try to read the whole post next time   lol :hehe:

Hey guys,

On this thread, I just want to give you all a heads up that Sonic Academy will soon be releasing tutorials on live recording. So any of you with a guitar or vocals that want to learn how to lay down a track - you’ll soon have the resources to do so here.

At the moment, this is a watch this space section of the new site. Click on the Live Recording tab on the homepage to see what new courses are set to be released soon. I’d also recommend signing up for our email newsletter - to get weekly updates on new video content being released.

Keep and eye out - and enjoy!

Louise

Sonic Academy

Create. Record. Perform.

bump