I find these Videos Good but useless

I don’t use Live 8 as I went from FL studio to Cubase 5 !!! Now that you have all these new videos about How to Make Progressive House they are only Good for Live 8 and this is depressing

EDIT

we will be doing the prog tutorial in Cubase and Logic in the next few weeks!:smiley:

How is it? There has been tutorials here on Cubase and Logic and i’ve had no issues replicating that over to my prefered DAW??

I actually think its good to watch a tutorial in another DAW as it makes me think how I can replicate it in my own favourite one hence learn two thngs at once - then my head explodes

[quote]roben (22/06/2010)[hr]How is it? There has been tutorials here on Cubase and Logic and i’ve had no issues replicating that over to my prefered DAW??[/quote]

but Im not like you I need to get hands on in my DAW as this is what I need to understand things .

No I understand, but you must also understand that there are tutorials here that help you get to grips with your chosen DAW.

I didn’t know anything about digital production till before this site, so i was in the same boat as you, if not worse? I don’t know your level sorry.

I used one of the ‘make music with (insert chosen daw here)’ (here is your one: [url=http://www.sonicacademy.com/Producer/Course/?contentId=2090]http://www.sonicacademy.com/Producer/Course/?contentId=2090[/url] ) tutorials which gets you to grips with how your DAW works and how to use it, then after that you can use pretty much use any tutorial and simply apply the same techniques.

Sylenth which is used a lot in the prog house tut can be applied to any DAW, so you can still follow exactly what is happening with the Sylenth vst.

As for reverb, Phil mentiones a reverb plug called ‘revoverb’ which again can be applied to any DAW. However you could easily just use Cubase’s own Reverb plug in if you chose.

As for laying out the track, it all works pretty much the same dude.

Anyways, Phil has said they will be doing the tutorial again in Cubase and Logic in the coming weeks so you could just wait for that, but you will find that the same techniques can be applied regardless what DAW you use.

People put to much emphisis on DAWs but they’re really not that different from each other once you’ve got to grips with how to use it. (see ‘make music with (insert chosen daw here)’ tutorials)

It’s kinda like driving a car, each model / make will feel different, but they all basically do the same thing with the same controls.

What doesnt kill ya will make you stronger.

Nothing like a bit of reverse engineering to make you realise wtf is actually happening. Seriously.

That said - I would love to see a Tut done in Logic. But what can you do?

We’re long enough dead - so its a case of join in, or leave.

Thats just my own personal thought when I pay the Subscription fees, as I know that its 99.9% Ableton around here. 

There are many things that you just cannot control… so one has to, somewhat ironically - on occasion… also learn how to adapt.

[quote]icn (23/06/2010)[hr]What doesnt kill ya will make you stronger.

Nothing like a bit of reverse engineering to make you realise wtf is actually happening. Seriously.

That said - I would love to see a Tut done in Logic. But what can you do?

We’re long enough dead - soits a case of join in, or leave.

Thats just my own personalthought when I pay the Subscription fees, as I know that its 99.9% Ableton around here.

There are many things that you just cannot control… so one has to, somewhat ironically -on occasion… also learn how to adapt.[/quote]

thanks for clearing that up for me

check out How to make electro house in cubase tutorial and then apply those techniques to this tutorial

:slight_smile:

I am glad that they are doing another Tutorial in cubase . working in dubstep thought me some shortcuts how to work faster in Cubase . sometimes really small stuff like shortcuts can make a big difference . so thanks SA :slight_smile:

Interesting post to me as I am currently in the process of replicating the prog. house tutorial into Logic.

I agree with Roben that it is good practice to try and replicate the techniques used in one DAW into the other. I’m glad Phil mentioned they will also be putting out the same in Logic so I can see how close I got.

Most DAWS have similar functions but each one also has their unique way of doing things. The trick is to find a work around.

As an example so far I have run into a few small things when trying to do the prog house tutorial in Logic

1. Layering the Kicks - In Ableton they use Impulse and specifically for the low end kick they use the soft function to get rid of the attack on it. I don’t like to use Ultrabeat in Logic as it feels overly complicated to me and although I like the EXS24 I ended up using Battery 3 for the drums. To replicate the soft function in Ableton’s Impulse I simply brought up the attack on the volume envelope for the low end kick and I think I ended up with the same effect.

2. For the reverbs - well that was a simple one as Logic comes with Space Designer. I dropped the IR’s in there (small hall and sweet hall) and that pretty much did the trick the only small tweak I had to make was in Space Designer instead of running the wet signal and full I ran it at about -4 db and that to me sounds like it matches the LA Convolver with the same IR’s.

3. The groove - I simply bounced a 1 bar loop with midi notes on every 16th from Ableton with Ableton’s Swing 16.99 I then imported the midi file into Logic and made a groove template from it. Later I discovered that the swing is pretty close to Logic’s own 16C swing setting with about a 32% Quantize strength.

Next I’m going to try and replicate the delays and synths.

[quote]rcorbo (23/06/2010)[hr]Interesting post to me as I am currently in the process of replicating the prog. house tutorial into Logic.

I agree with Roben that it is good practice to try and replicate the techniques used in one DAW into the other. I’m glad Phil mentioned they will also be putting out the same in Logic so I can see how close I got.

Most DAWS have similar functions but each one also has their unique way of doing things. The trick is to find a work around.

As an example so far I have run into a few small things when trying to do the prog house tutorial in Logic

1) Layering the Kicks - In Ableton they use Impulse and specifically for the low end kick they use the soft function to get rid of the attack on it. I don’t like to use Ultrabeat in Logic as it feels overly complicated to me and although I like the EXS24 I ended up using Battery 3 for the drums. To replicate the soft function in Ableton’s Impulse I simply brought up the attack on the volume envelope for the low end kick and I think I ended up with the same effect.

2) For the reverbs - well that was a simple one as Logic comes with Space Designer. I dropped the IR’s in there (small hall and sweet hall) and that pretty much did the trick the only small tweak I had to make was in Space Designer instead of running the wet signal and full I ran it at about -4 db and that to me sounds like it matches the LA Convolver with the same IR’s.

3) The groove - I simply bounced a 1 bar loop with midi notes on every 16th from Ableton with Ableton’s Swing 16.99 I then imported the midi file into Logic and made a groove template from it. Later I discovered that the swing is pretty close to Logic’s own 16C swing setting with about a 32% Quantize strength.

Next I’m going to try and replicate the delays and synths.[/quote]

Fair play Rick!

I think its too much Ableton here ! 80 % Ableton Tuts ?

Is this usefull ? Isnt it .<br> <br> I understand the guys who are working with Reason-Record, Logic,Cubase and other DAWs !!!

Only for Ableton Tut`s, there is too much Money !

I have to say that I am amazed at this thread.  Calling the videos useless just because you can’t be bothered to figure out how to do the same thing with your choosen software?

Just be thankful that people who know what they are doing are willing to share that information so that folks can get ahead of the learning curve without having to do a fulltime music-tech college course.

I just watched a tutorial on youtube for making a bass in Reason using Thor - I found it useful even though I’ve never used Reason (and don’t intend to) as the technique could be applied to any 3 osc synth.

[quote]Kieran Mach (23/06/2010)[hr]I have to say that I am amazed at this thread. Calling the videos useless just because you can’t be bothered to figure out how to do the same thingwith yourchoosen software?

Just be thankful that people who know what they are doingare willing to share that information so that folks can get ahead of the learning curve without having to do a fulltime music-tech college course.

I just watched a tutorial on youtube for making a bass in Reason using Thor - I found it useful even though I’ve never used Reason (and don’t intend to) as the technique could be applied to any 3 osc synth.[/quote]

Well said - totally agree :slight_smile:

i 100% agree with the ableton tutorials because its an easier laid out DAW!!!

i also agree that replicating a tutorial into your prefferred DAW can ONLY BENEFIT YOURSELF in terms of workflow and speed

so whats with the moaning!!!

(ableton rocks)

[quote]slender (22/06/2010)[hr]I actually think its good to watch a tutorial in another DAW as it makes me think how I can replicate it in my own favourite one hence learn two thngs at once - then my head explodes[/quote]

could not agree more

[quote]Redemption (22/06/2010)[hr][quote]roben (22/06/2010)[hr]How is it? There has been tutorials here on Cubase and Logic and i’ve had no issues replicating that over to my prefered DAW??[/quote]

but Im not like you I need to get hands on in my DAW as this is what I need to understand things .[/quote]

if you learn your daw (the only way to do so is to read the manual) you will benefit from everything you watch.

not a dig just good advice

I have been learning cubase & ableton since joining SA.

I started on cubase, but I had the same problem and wondered why there were so many ableton tutorials and only a handful of cubase tutorials. So I took the plunge.

I got ableton live suite 8 and I now know why there is a big focus on it.

It is easier to understand & work with. Since using ableton I have been able to go through tutorials much quicker and easier. The best part is I am actually learning how to build songs. I am at the point now where I could do the same in cubase. Doing the tutorials on cubase helped me learn it. Knowing the controls and how to insert things helped tremendously. But I still didnt know how to build the type of tracks that I wanted to produce.

Learning your daw in my opinion is only about 50% of producing. The other half is knowing how songs are written & built. For me this is the most important piece.

Not trying to argue with you, just giving a note of my experience with the vids.

[quote]Kieran Mach (23/06/2010)[hr]I have to say that I am amazed at this thread. Calling the videos useless just because you can’t be bothered to figure out how to do the same thingwith yourchoosen software?

Just be thankful that people who know what they are doingare willing to share that information so that folks can get ahead of the learning curve without having to do a fulltime music-tech college course.

I just watched a tutorial on youtube for making a bass in Reason using Thor - I found it useful even though I’ve never used Reason (and don’t intend to) as the technique could be applied to any 3 osc synth.[/quote]

Hey guess what I don’t have the money for live or other programs . Sorry if IM not rich - Second i said “Now that you have all these new videos about How to Make Progressive House they are only Good for Live 8 and this is depressing” Not talking about all videos so before coming down on me reads the post