Illegal downloads

I was shocked to see my new release was freely available for download from warez sites 2 days after the beatport exclusive release from a simple google search.

Beggs me to ask, how the hell are we in with a chance of making a living if a brand new artists tracks are so freely being pirated so fast… looks like the hill we need to climb to even so much as make a menial living in this industry gets bigger by the day…

[quote]gofunk (30/03/2011)[hr]

Beggs me to ask, how the hell are we in with a chance of making a living [/quote]

Build a loyal fan base by playing live as often as possible … sorry to hear your getting jacked dude !!:slight_smile:

Welcome to the world of electronic music dood. The only way to make money, is to play out live, and be able to sell albums. And the album route isnt gonna make you much money either, but a little more then singles here and there. I hope you arent planning on making a living off of producing any time soon?

[quote]howiegroove (30/03/2011)[hr]Welcome to the world of electronic music dood. The only way to make money, is to play out live, and be able to sell albums. And the album route isnt gonna make you much money either, but a little more then singles here and there. I hope you arent planning on making a living off of producing any time soon?[/quote]

Not sure its only electronic music many traditional upcoming bands have their music ripped be it a record or a live performance - the later happened all the time back in my punk days

But just think of all the struggling painters, authors or any person involved in the arts only a very small percentage make it big - look at your craft as a very expensive hobby - like crack :slight_smile: - only ours is more creative, don’t look at it as some form of income at the moment - not saying you sould not strive for that but as my thearpist said - take one step at a time and then the fall won’t hurt so much (I then pushed her out of the window to see if she was right - she was :stuck_out_tongue: )

It’s the way it is mate, accept the fact you’re very unlikely to make any money from your music, the music releases pave way to increase your DJ fees and profile. Bigger profile = more gigs and better rates.

the only way you will make ANY real money from your music is if it reaches beatport charts.

or being paid to play out live. but that only happens for “real” when your music is good.

If you had a trance track on beatport you probably only need a few dozen copies to make it to the top 100.

Vice-versa, if you had a top 10 beatport track for ALL genres you would need thousands upon thousands of copies to be purchased. I read somewhere beatport top 10 is like 20-40,000 copies sold and downloaded in order to make it to the top 10. It depends on the quality of tracks that are also released around the time of your release.

If you had a 50-50 deal with a label and sold 20k copies and got a buck a piece. That would be coin.

websites like trancetraffic ruin trance music $ potential for producers though Wayne.

[quote]gofunk (30/03/2011)[hr]I was shocked to see my new release was freely available for download from warez sites 2 days after the beatport exclusive release from a simple google search.

Beggs me to ask, how the hell are we in with a chance of making a living if a brand new artists tracks are so freely being pirated so fast… looks like the hill we need to climb to even so much as make a menial living in this industry gets bigger by the day…[/quote]

maybe some day russia’s laws will fall in line with the rest of the world

[quote]gofunk (30/03/2011)[hr]I was shocked to see my new release was freely available for download from warez sites 2 days after the beatport exclusive release

[/quote]

that’s still quite long i suppose i can get new releases the same or next day…

playing live is the factor to earn money, having a/multiple release(s) is as a catalysis for getting good paid gigs

fairly shocked, just found out from googling my name too after reading this post that a bootlegi made years ago is up on a load of sites for free download… im quiete happy people took an interest in it to say the least hahaha

Yeah a lot of it are these groups that basically buy 1 copy of everything that comes out on Beatport that week/day or whatever and then share it around.

Normally to groups that then charge you to access the library of tunes grumble.

Few labels are using http://www.link-busters.com

they do a good job on the file share sites. doesn’t work for torrents tho… grim. :frowning:

nowadays giving away track for free is becoming a best way of putting your name out there. for gigs. so yeah dont just think that making music will make you money unless you do top 40s :smiley:

i googled the remixes i did that got released end last year and they arent listed on any free download sites!

@jan - at least yours were popular enough to get shared mate - look on the bright side!

nobody wants mine even for free :w00t:

hahahaha, 20,000 - 40,000 to get into the beatport top ten? You kidding right?

You only need to sell like 20,000 to get a uk number 1! Probably less.

A few weeks ago Loko posted on FB (but wisely deleted it now) about how much he got paid for his track lakausa. It was number one in the beat port chart for about 5 weeks I think he said, but only got paid 350 euros. He was pretty pied off to say the least (label had fked him over). But it just goes to show the amount of money were talking about even when you hit the top of beatport. Not a lot.

If your doing this for money, your in the wrong game mate.

Some grim reading eh!

I dont expect to make money of my releases but maybe one day when I get better I’d hope to. And yeah getting gigs and makeing money that would be ideal. Cant see that happening any time soon however!

What other ways do you think there are to make a career out of music production guys? (other then running a site like SA ;))

i had a friend who makes music for TV. he told me that u can make good money with it.

[quote]alinenunez (31/03/2011)[hr]i had a friend who makes music for TV. he told me that u can make good money with it.

[/quote]

This and adverts - I have no chance with adverts unless they can market suicide :stuck_out_tongue:

The most cash ive made from a single piece of music was a 1 minute funky house mess… ended up on the B.A. in flight entertainment system as the background music to the interface.

got about 15k over 2 years cash in the bank! result!

come to think of it i don’t ever think ive made any real money from direct sales of a track. most compilations or syncs.

That’s good money Phil. I think it’s always a good idea to look into these track libraries. It’s generally where ad people go to find tracks for various productions and the like.

Most of them, I think, just take a small percentage of the monies paid for hosting the track and handling the payments.

yeah I was wondering about theses, I read about them but you wouldnt be able to do this if your track is signed to a label right?