Illegal downloads

Your best way to overcome this is spend hours and hours searching the net every day for your tunes that are up illegally and telling the sites to take them down.

All you have to do is mention Copyright breach and law action and they will take them down. I know a few people who run small labels and have to do this.

A loyal fan base as said above is def a good way. Some people will buy tunes and others won’t. You can’t change that sadly but you can try and minimize it.

Look on the bright side. If its shared illegally someone thinks its a a great tune and more people hear your name so in a way it helps you get noticed for djing.

[quote]onetwoseven (31/03/2011)[hr]hahahaha, 20,000 - 40,000 to get into the beatport top ten? You kidding right?

You only need to sell like 20,000 to get a uk number 1! Probably less.

A few weeks ago Loko posted on FB (but wisely deleted it now) about how much he got paid for his track lakausa. It was number one in the beat port chart for about 5 weeks I think he said, but only got paid 350 euros. He was pretty pied off to say the least (label had fked him over). But it just goes to show the amount of money were talking about even when you hit the top of beatport. Not a lot.

[/quote]

yeah your right! I did a little more research and sent a few emails. it’s more like 5,000 copies on beatport downloaded for a top 10 track. sorry for my wrong statistic earlier! i have no problem admitting I made a statistical error :wink:

also to your point. obviously a label could screw you over for the $$$…

but in my research I found another fault in my previous post. Beatport takes 40% of the sales from the record labels. so even if you have a 50-50 split with the label you are still only getting 30% of the actual sales. 30% of 5k*$2.49 is $3735.

also if anybody wants to read an article on the topic. this was on beatportal a while back.

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/becoming-one-anatomy-of-a-1-hit/

[quote]Japwow (31/03/2011)[hr]

Look on the bright side. If its shared illegally someone thinks its a a great tune and more people hear your name so in a way it helps you get noticed for djing.[/quote]

Thats what I always say - but no one has uploaded any off my tunes :crying:

[quote]slender (31/03/2011)[hr][quote]Japwow (31/03/2011)[hr]

Look on the bright side. If its shared illegally someone thinks its a a great tune and more people hear your name so in a way it helps you get noticed for djing.[/quote]

Thats what I always say - but no one has uploaded any off my tunes :crying:[/quote]

Well this make me feel a whole lot better mate! lol :wink:

@Slender - Nah, I upload them on a regular basis - Its just that the links keep getting deactivated due to inactivity! :wink: :hehe: :slight_smile: :cool:

[quote]UnitedVision (31/03/2011)[hr][quote]onetwoseven (31/03/2011)[hr]hahahaha, 20,000 - 40,000 to get into the beatport top ten? You kidding right?

You only need to sell like 20,000 to get a uk number 1! Probably less.

A few weeks ago Loko posted on FB (but wisely deleted it now) about how much he got paid for his track lakausa. It was number one in the beat port chart for about 5 weeks I think he said, but only got paid 350 euros. He was pretty pied off to say the least (label had fked him over). But it just goes to show the amount of money were talking about even when you hit the top of beatport. Not a lot.

[/quote]

yeah your right! I did a little more research and sent a few emails. it’s more like 5,000 copies on beatport downloaded for a top 10 track. sorry for my wrong statistic earlier! i have no problem admitting I made a statistical error :wink:

also to your point. obviously a label could screw you over for the $$$…

but in my research I found another fault in my previous post. Beatport takes 40% of the sales from the record labels. so even if you have a 50-50 split with the label you are still only getting 30% of the actual sales. 30% of 5k*$2.49 is $3735.

also if anybody wants to read an article on the topic. this was on beatportal a while back.

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/becoming-one-anatomy-of-a-1-hit/

[/quote]

Wow, 5000 still is a hell of a lot. I thought it would be like a 1000 or something. Well no wonder Loko was so pied he only got 350 haha.

I used that loko story coz its not uncommon for labels (even big one’s) to f
k over artists.

Check out this track, released on Great Stuff.

Stream Andres Gil & Rainer Weichhold & Heartik - CousCous (Original) (Great Stuff) by Rainer Weichhold | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Well it all seems ok on the surface, a colab between Andres Gil and Rainer Weichhold. That is until you look at the comments and see Andres Gil is claiming that Great Stuff stole the track off him and have paid him nothing! Not cool.

I know this hasn’t got anything to do with illegal d/l but it’s all sorta related to the money side of things.

That links a cool read btw pal, thanks for posting :wink:

It’s all about the size of your social network and how big of a following you have.

Does anybody think skrillex would have made beatport #1 if it wasnt on mautrap?

Don’t get me wrong. I think skrillex makes great music. But the promotion mautrap gave is priceless.

I’ve been reading a lot about what is considered a successful release for electro and most of the consensus I am seeing is like 2000 copies sold = success. Obviously this is different for every producer/label… But if you sell about 2000 copies you will most likely make the beatport electro house top 10. It all depends on the timing of your release.

So if you release a track on some small label, at the same time say… Tool Room releases an EP from a big time producer. You are basically screwed because their followers, social network, industry connections and marketing is bigger than anything you are gunna have.

In the Future Music interview with SHM a few months ago, Steve Angello said he sold like 200,000 copies of “Show Me Love”. Obviously this was probably combined with iTunes, beatport and whatever else… But 200k copies is a lot and some serious coin. Even if you only make 50cents off each 1 that is still a 100 grand. Just food for thought.

Non of my tunes are on torrent sites, kinda sucks really :frowning:

maybe I should put my own tracks up as a marketing stratergy :slight_smile:

[quote]slender (31/03/2011)[hr]maybe I should put my own tracks up as a marketing stratergy :)[/quote]

how about putting yours up as a way of shutting torrent sites :smiley:

i read about the andres gil / reiner weichold thing on facebook

according to andres he had sent it in as a demo and was told “no thanks”

andres posted up a copy paste of the email from weicholds label

then a while later this track appeared

the credit for gil seems to have been added later - it was originally touted as a reiner weichold track with no mention of gil

[quote]chekka (31/03/2011)[hr][quote]slender (31/03/2011)[hr]maybe I should put my own tracks up as a marketing stratergy :)[/quote]

how about putting yours up as a way of shutting torrent sites :D[/quote]

-

:frowning:

[quote]chekka (31/03/2011)[hr]i read about the andres gil / reiner weichold thing on facebook

the credit for gil seems to have been added later - it was originally touted as a reiner weichold track with no mention of gil[/quote]

omg! You expect some kind of decency from labels.

[quote]Roben (31/03/2011)[hr][quote]chekka (31/03/2011)[hr]i read about the andres gil / reiner weichold thing on facebook

the credit for gil seems to have been added later - it was originally touted as a reiner weichold track with no mention of gil[/quote]

omg! You expect some kind of decency from labels.[/quote]

Yeah and I expect to become pope next year

[quote]chekka (31/03/2011)[hr]i read about the andres gil / reiner weichold thing on facebook

Pretty shocking that really. Great Stuff are of the best out there music wise, shame that they did something like that.

At least now they’re put Gil’s name on it so he’s getting some credit

all according to what i read on facebook - i hasten to add - although it was posted by andres gil himself

[quote]slender (31/03/2011)[hr][quote]chekka (31/03/2011)[hr][quote]slender (31/03/2011)[hr]maybe I should put my own tracks up as a marketing stratergy :)[/quote]

how about putting yours up as a way of shutting torrent sites :D[/quote]

-

:([/quote]

awwwww diddums!

[quote]onetwoseven (31/03/2011)[hr][quote]chekka (31/03/2011)[hr]i read about the andres gil / reiner weichold thing on facebook

Pretty shocking that really. Great Stuff are of the best out there music wise, shame that they did something like that.

At least now they’re put Gil’s name on it so he’s getting some credit[/quote]

Yeah agreed, their promos are some of the few promos that i get sent regularly that I actually find awesome on a consistant basis.

obviously i don’t expect anyone to disclose exactly how much they have made but has anyone made any financial gain from there releases since they started learning production with S.A

[quote]jonev (31/03/2011)[hr]obviously i don’t expect anyone to disclose exactly how much they have made but has anyone made any financial gain from there releases since they started learning production with S.A[/quote]

slender bought me a beer once