Illegal downloads

[quote]davidmclean (06/07/2012)[hr]Phil - but surely the people that actually upload the copyrighted material illegally, don’t get any revenue from the advertising on these sites?

Are you saying that the founders of sites such as Rapidshare and torrent sites, actually upload copyrighted material themselves in order to drive taffic to their sites, so that they can make money from advertising revenue on their sites?

Because otherwise, surely it’s not going to be the same people, setting up the site, and then uploading the copyrighted material?[/quote]

The people that own the blogs etc. upload the material. and they have google adsense or some other 3rd party advertising links. you can get £0.40 - £2.00 per click on a link and some do PPV so you could get 1p-5p per view.

Google are also fighting against this… they dont want to lose the revenue from these adds which is why the are fighting against blocking copyright infringing sites from search. as they would lose a ton of cash. Also it could open the door for rival search engines that do allow illegal sites.

Rapidshare, megaupload etc. used to turn a blind eye to it. now they are getting a lot more pressure to stop it. although for every filesharer that gets shut down a new one pops up. They generate their revenue on the premium subscribers. so its in their interest to host as much copyright stuff as they can get away with.

Bottom line is that everyone but the artist benefit. ISPs, Google, Blogs, Users.

The real irony is that you have these groups fighting for internet freedom when in fact the criminals and big corporations are the ones that benefit the most from the “open” web.

Its will be regarded as a truly unique part of history that we had such an “open” system but eventually it will for the most part be policed like everything else.

There will always be an underground of course but it just wont be so blatant and easy to steal music, software etc.

It’ll be interesting to see how they will attempt to stop internet piracy over the next few years. It’ll take a major shift in the way the net works to do this. It’ll always be possible to download stuff illegally it just won’t be as straight forward.

It’ll be impossible to stop in entirely.

It is interesting that i’ve been asking my friends, and many of them are saying, that there have been examples of when they have been to gigs in the past couple of years or so, that they don’t think they would have ended up going to, if they hadn’t have downloaded that artists material illegally for free, and had a good listen and liked alot of the artists stuff they were able to listen to for free!

So i do think there is some merit in this arguement, that artists can benefit in some ways from their music being distributed illegally for free download!

Like alanluvsfunk just said - i don’t think we can stop most people downloading lots of music for free - so guess we might have to just put all our time, effort and resources into trying to benefit as much as we can, from our stuff being available for free download!

This is just nonsense. Your “friends” testimony does not constitute evidence, it is simply self-justification.

If it was true that illegal downloads improved sales of live tickets we would have seen a massive rise in concert ticket sales compared with the 1990s and earlier.

[quote]davidmclean (31/07/2012)[hr]It is interesting that i’ve been asking my friends, and many of them are saying, that there have been examples of when they have been to gigs in the past couple of years or so, that they don’t think they would have ended up going to, if they hadn’t have downloaded that artists material illegally for free, and had a good listen and liked alot of the artists stuff they were able to listen to for free!

So i do think there is some merit in this arguement, that artists can benefit in some ways from their music being distributed illegally for free download!

[/quote]

I think it’s the more underground artists that would benefit from this. People who you wouldn’t have taken a chance on, you would when it’s free.

I remember a situation where a band gave there album away for free on the cover of Mixmag and their gig bookings/ticket sales went through the roof as more people knew who they were by giving away the music for free and therefore they were in demand more as live performers. (I realise that’s not the same as illegal downloading however).

Not all producers DJ or perform. Even if they do then I bet that many or most of them would prefer their legitimate royalties first and THEN take a chance on losing gaining ticket sales.

In any event that’s THEIR choice. It’s their music, it’s theirs to give away or sell or do whatever with. It’s not the choice of some random person in some random location to steal their material just because they can.

You might want to read this it’s a good straight talking summary of the situation and debunks the usual ‘justifications’ thieves use when stealing artist’s work

[url]http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/letter-to-emily-white-at-npr-all-songs-considered/[/url]

I’ve read it before. I’m not saying I agree with illegal downloading but was replying to the post above mine about hearing things you wouldn’t normally hear.

I would love to know how many DJ/producers could HONESTLY say they have never downloaded any tunes or VST’s for free.

I recently saw Rahaan bitching about people sampling him when his whole career has been built on sampling!

[quote]alanluvsfunk (31/07/2012)[hr]I’ve read it before. I’m not saying I agree with illegal downloading but was replying to the post above mine about hearing things you wouldn’t normally hear.

I would love to know how many DJ/producers could HONESTLY say they have never downloaded any tunes or VST’s for free.[/quote]

But Alan saying that implies an attitude of “someone else broke the law so it’s ok for me to do it” and, no, I’m not saying that you believe that but too many do and use it as justification for their actions.

We’re only responsible for ourselves. It doesn’t matter what other people are doing or not doing we have to take care of our own actions.

[quote]jonsloan (01/08/2012)[hr][quote]alanluvsfunk (31/07/2012)[hr]I’ve read it before. I’m not saying I agree with illegal downloading but was replying to the post above mine about hearing things you wouldn’t normally hear.

I would love to know how many DJ/producers could HONESTLY say they have never downloaded any tunes or VST’s for free.[/quote]

But Alan saying that implies an attitude of “someone else broke the law so it’s ok for me to do it” and, no, I’m not saying that you believe that but too many do and use it as justification for their actions.

We’re only responsible for ourselves. It doesn’t matter what other people are doing or not doing we have to take care of our own actions.[/quote]

I’m not saying two wrongs make a right, what I’m saying is, the same people who complain about it are often, but not always, doing it themselves and it’s a double standard. How many producers have been caught with cracked software on videos but will then moan when someone downloads a track for free.

Things like Beatport and Juno are great as they release tracks at a fair price rather than cd’s at £14.99 for 40 mins of music like it was 10 years ago.