iPad and TouchOSC

So, I know another thread started a conversation like this but it wasn’t geared toward it as it was talking about the Lemur. I want to start a discussion and see who’s using iPad with TouchOSC, what they think, and if they’re working on anything new with the interfaces. I’m really impressed so far with how quickly the iPad is taking over the music world as it has the medical world. I anticipate that within a year or so, all the major vendors like NI, Ableton, and so on will have native apps on the iPad or phone to actually control their software? Thoughts?

iPad freaking rocks, I honestly think it was my best purchase in years,

TouchOSC is amazing, but you need to figure what you actually want to do with it!

there are so many possibilities…like running monome clones, etc

touchAble is fantastic and it works ‘out of the box’ too.

I’m experimenting with MIDI and audio thru camera connection kit, so far I’ve got my Oxygen49 keyboard working on the iPad, lol!

Sick! This is what I’m talking about! Keep the info coming peeps!

Hey Sean, have you gotten MIDI to work through the camera connection kit? I want to use TouchAble thru the connection kit rather then through OSC. I dont like the fact that I have to jump on the network and such. I would rather be hard wired in.

does anyone know of how to use TouchOSC with the camera connection kit at all? Is there any good reading on the net filling me in more on this kinda stuff?

I have mixed feelings about the iPad for music.

On the one hand, the gadgeteer in me loves the idea of making something multi functional and gentle hackery.

On the other hand for the price (its quite an expensive toy) I could just get a launchpad or something that is built for purpose, more mashable and like a hundred bucks.

This is the exact mental though process on rotation in my head every time it comes up, and it’s buggin’ :cool:

[quote]bangthedj (16/12/2010)[hr]I have mixed feelings about the iPad for music.

On the one hand, the gadgeteer in me loves the idea of making something multi functional and gentle hackery.

On the other hand for the price (its quite an expensive toy) I could just get a launchpad or something that is built for purpose, more mashable and like a hundred bucks.

This is the exact mental though process on rotation in my head every time it comes up, and it’s buggin’ :cool:[/quote]

I was thinking exactly that, and don’t get me wrong It will never replace a physical controller for tactile feel, but its so much more than just controller, there are synths,drum machines…I’m such a fan boy lol

[quote]howiegroove (16/12/2010)[hr]does anyone know of how to use TouchOSC with the camera connection kit at all? Is there any good reading on the net filling me in more on this kinda stuff?[/quote]

touchAble works much like Launchpad or APC40, it’s a script that communicates with Ableton both ways, presumably using OSC messages. So it needs something to interpret it, much like TouchOSC needs Osculatory to work with midi.

So in short there isn’t midi over the wire because touchOSC uses OSC not midi messages

WiFi connection is really rock solid, once you have it set up, but there is this app S1MidiTriger that supports native midi, it’s not as flexible but it works, surely there’ll be more coming

i just got my apc40 for the launchpad. and I have a control surface on my keyboard…

I really just want the ipad and touch OSC for an extra control surface for EQ/FX/volume.

this way I could have my brother on the keyboard and me on the apc40 & ipad.

record away!

but I think I am going to wait until the new ipads come out in April with the camera.

Sean, link up that video you had on the blog about the ipad being used as a ‘guitar’, SIIICK.

Knew that the music world would well jump on the ipad, even Richie Hawtin is now using it in his Plastikman tour.

Really want one, but unfortunately the student life isn’t kind financially.

eventually the goal is that everybody has a screen like this!

Roben, I know the feeling mate!

Here:

This is awesome too

iPad/launchpad Gameboy. from Abel Flaubert on Vimeo.

This video is gay, but it my own so check it out ;)

The iPad looks cool but is it really that ergonomic? You can’t beat knobs and faders

There must be other cheaper alternative to the iPad?

There’s a cheaper alternative to everything. We used to do this kinda stuff with Wacom tablets and similar softwares. The only difference is that it wasn’t multitouch, and it didn’t have feedback on the tablet as there is no screen. All the feedback was on the computer. I think that the iPad is amazing because it does have all the capabilities of many different things, not just a computer or a midi keyboard. I really do think that in a few months the software and templates that are out there for this kind of stuff will be tenfold. There’s already people selling templates for anything you want so all you have to do is plug and play. Which will leave the programming and the experimenting up to us, the adventurous. Which is what this is all about anyhow. Tapping into the new. Yes, there’s plenty of other more responsible controllers to do the job, but what fun is normal?

Indeed, it’s a fine line between adventurous and usefulness sometimes though.

I’ve seen people using Wii remotes to control Ableton etc, and while interesting, its not really adding any benefit.

With the iPad I suspect you have a mix of both, useful apps that work very well (touchAble etc) and more novelty ones, or attempts just to cash in on the app market.

The only thing that put me off it as an option, apart from having no real other use for it (as a writer I’d always need a netbook before a tablet sadly) was that after they launched the iPad there was almost a scramble to find a way to make it work for music making, by any means, rather than use a tool specifically fit for purpose.

More recently though it seems to have come of age finally with some decent apps etc.

finally some intelligent talk here…

I don’t think the computer was intended originally to do music either, but it grew into it. It took a long time, but eventually it became the norm. The issue here is that the iPad has a TON of potential and the entire music community sees it. However, it will take time both on the part of Apple to open it up, and the devs to make something amazing. I personally am waiting for Ableton to stick their hands in the game somehow. Its bound to happen, I think.

[quote]howiegroove (17/12/2010)[hr]finally some intelligent talk here…

I don’t think the computer was intended originally to do music either, but it grew into it. It took a long time, but eventually it became the norm. The issue here is that the iPad has a TON of potential and the entire music community sees it. However, it will take time both on the part of Apple to open it up, and the devs to make something amazing. I personally am waiting for Ableton to stick their hands in the game somehow. Its bound to happen, I think.[/quote]

It can’t be that far off before all the major vendors have something going on the iPad. It just makes sense. Also, with the larger vendors like NI and Ableton that have tried and true software development teams, Apple seems to open up the box a little more. It’s not a coincidence that the larger companies manage to find a way to utilize every single aspect of the device, ie Skype. Remember when Apple said no way! Look where its at now… Apple will surely see a draw from the music industry on this and jump on it. Think about how many more people would buy an iPad if it had a native Ableton or Traktor app on it, written by the vendors themselves. With full support, updates, and upgrades like their current offerings. Hell, I bought one just for TouchOSC and its possibilities. It excites me to no end to be able to custom design controllers to exactly the buttons and faders I need. To boot, what if they make a bigger iPad eventually. Then you could get more toward having the “emulator” touchscreen feel. Its only the beginning of this thing and its already moving fast. Give it a year and we’ll be laughing about TouchOSC.

Actually, come to think of it. It’s not that far fetched to think in a year or so that you could run Ableton or Traktor exclusively on the iPad. Only needing some sort of soundcard adapter like the camera one, and a pair of RCA’s to go to the main mixer. Now THATS possibilities!

[quote]raymondsar (17/12/2010)[hr]Actually, come to think of it. It’s not that far fetched to think in a year or so that you could run Ableton or Traktor exclusively on the iPad. Only needing some sort of soundcard adapter like the camera one, and a pair of RCA’s to go to the main mixer. Now THATS possibilities![/quote]

Unfortunately bro, I dont think it’ll happen. I dont think its capable of handling the power needed to run them.

[quote]howiegroove (18/12/2010)[hr][quote]raymondsar (17/12/2010)[hr]Actually, come to think of it. It’s not that far fetched to think in a year or so that you could run Ableton or Traktor exclusively on the iPad. Only needing some sort of soundcard adapter like the camera one, and a pair of RCA’s to go to the main mixer. Now THATS possibilities![/quote]

Unfortunately bro, I dont think it’ll happen. I dont think its capable of handling the power needed to run them.[/quote]

So the iPad is only capable of running apps not independent/full programs like a laptop?!?

Not having a dig at mac’s here but I thought the iPad would be rivalling laptops!