KRK's and Monitor Setup

The Parcelforce man has just kindly dropped off my new KRK’s that i ordered! Yay!

Im going to be putting them into my new studio which im in the process of putting together at the moment BUT, i was wondering if you guys could help.

Im going to be directly linking them into my laptop, which has Ableton on there so they will primarily be used to produce music. I have a 3.5 jack to rca cable but the rca end, the split in the cables isnt that big… how can i get around this? Can i buy a bigger jack to rca cable that has a bigger split in it was i want the speakers further apart than they currently are.

Hope the above makes sense, if not let me know and i will try and explain a little better :slight_smile:

Yep, just get yourself down to Maplins, tell them what you need and they’ll sort you out :slight_smile:

Sweeeeeeeeeet! Cheers Roben, will do! :slight_smile:

When you do it that way, I think you run your speakers in serial. I had to do this originally as well.

howiegroove, you have lost me now… lol can you explain please?

yeah, sure.

I’m pretty sure (because I did it with my 5’s), but obviously, since there are two speakers and only one plug on your laptop, the sound from one speaker will run into the other speaker. then that one speaker will be the one that runs into your laptop. I think you need one XLR to XLR, then one XLR to 1/8" audio.

woop! :w00t:

Hmm… still confused.com really.

I have a cable running from my laptop into both speakers… but, my problem is that the rca cable, where the two ends are isn’t split enough in length so you have to have the speakers close together, which is something i dont want at all.

The other way i have thought of doing it is using a splitter.

So, cable running from the laptop and then one speaker plugged in with the red section of the rca. the white section, is plugged into a splitter which then goes into the next speaker. would that work ok?

lol does it even make sense?! :w00t:

Thing is, that my soundcard has two phonos inputs, so i can distinguish between left and right.

However with your single jack, i’m not sure how that’s going to work out for you monitoring wise.

Usually on the back of audio interfaces you have phono outs that would go into your speakers too for left and right.

I’m actually wondering here whether your best bet is running through an audio interface? I’m not to up to par with macs, i just advise from my own personal experiences and/or set ups, so i’ll leave this in the hands of Howie / Jon as they’re both mac guys.

See, i have an audio 8 soundcard that i use with my Traktor… can i run it thru that via my mac on ableton? :hehe:

[quote]HOUSEJAK (05/07/2010)[hr]See, i have an audio 8 soundcard that i use with my Traktor… can i run it thru that via my mac on ableton? :hehe:[/quote]

If it’s got ports in the back to plug your speakers into then i don’t see why not? Hard to say without looking at your gear bro.

Ahh i give up! hah!

Cheers for trying roben. I think that i juse basically need a bigger cable than i have got at the moment thats all :slight_smile:

mate if you have an Audio 8, then use that as your main soundcard rather then your laptop built in - better sound quality and you’ll be able to separate out your monitors with individual cables from the left and right outs on the souncard.

To explain I have an Emu 0404 souncard.

It has 4 ins, and 4 outs.

I run my turntables into a DJ mixer then the DJ mixers main outs into my soundcards ins, i then run my soundcards main outs straight into my monitors. This means everything, including my PC with ableton & other software is running through the soundcard and into the monitors.

So just go and buy two RCA to Jack cables and run one from your Audio 8’s left out to the left monitor in, and one form your audio 8’s right out ot the right monitors in.

Basically buy one of these: [url=]Audiowarehouse - Professional Sound and Lighting Equipment, Sound Online Shopping Experience. and then just pull them apart with your hands so you have two individual cables, it won’t damage the cable and thy are normally held together with just a little light glue. You’ll be amazed how easy they seperate.

The other option would be to buy yourself a small mixer run from the jack into that and then separate the channels there and use the master out to run into your Monitors.

Anyway you probably know all that, but just thought i’d get it down in case.

Thanks for your help guys. Im still a little confused.com however…

I im currently eyeing up my soundcard, so i will tell you the outputs that i have on it ok…

Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ

1x MIC Input

1x Headphone Input

2x Ground / MIDI (Out & In)

1x USB Cable

Channel A In 1/2 and Out 1/2

Channel B In 3/4 and Out 3/4

Channel C In 5/6 and Out 5/6

Channel D In 7/8 and Out 7/8

Here is an image incase your wondering;

To give you an idea of the ins and outs that i HAVE to have setup, there below;

1x USB Cable - Used to connect to my MAC Book during Traktor

Channel A In 1/2 and Out 1/2 - Used to connect to my BEHRINGER DDM4000

Channel B In 3/4 and Out 3/4 - Used to connect to my BEHRINGER DDM4000

All other ports are free, could someone please now explain how i do it… lol. Should have explained all this in full the first time round really.

Plus, im going to be plugging in a BEHRINGER UMX Midi Keyboard (images below of connections) and im wondering how and what do i plug that all into?

Thanks for all your help once again folks! :slight_smile:

If you need anymore info, ask!

ok, just plug your keyboard into the laptop via usb, easiest option and saves messing with midi.

From looking at the Audio 8, I would take the out channel D and run directly from that into your monitors using RCA to the Jack in on the KRK’s, using the lead i posted above, and route ableons output using the soundcards internal mixer and abletons preferences tab to select an out channel.

But if you are using a DJ mixer with everything running through that then you should probably run from laptop to your mixer then to the monitors - not ideal for music making but saves having separate set ups for DJ’ing and beat making.

That way you can run the channel D to a third channel on the behringer and also include Abelton in your DJ set up.

[quote]Aapie (06/07/2010)[hr]ok, just plug your keyboard into the laptop via usb, easiest option and saves messing with midi.

From looking at the Audio 8, I would take the out channel D and run directly from that into your monitors using RCA to the Jack in on the KRK’s, using the lead i posted above, and route ableons output using the soundcards internal mixer and abletons preferences tab to select an out channel.

But if you are using a DJ mixer with everything running through that then you should probably run from laptop to your mixer then to the monitors - not ideal for music making but saves having separate set ups for DJ’ing and beat making.

That way you can run the channel D to a third channel on the behringer and also include Abelton in your DJ set up.[/quote]

Do you mean RCA to RCA? I would go from the Audio 8 Soundcard from Channcel D Out 7/8 using RCA and then seperate the wires and plug in RCA on the KRK’s- there is no jack on the KRK’s…

Ahh, i think the second option would be best. If i have everything setup as normal, and then just get a longer JACK to RCA cable to run from my laptop directly into the mixer, will Ableton then pick up that there is a Soundcard running on the line?

I have never looked at using Ableton in my setup but im sure its something that would be interesting :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help on this Aapie!

which KRK’s did you buy? I thougth they all had jack’s ont he back.

But with your set up i’d probably put the monitors after the DJ mixer -as i said not perfect for beat making but probably the easiest to set up, as it means you have one audio source in your studio.

With abelton, i’d still run it through the Audio 8 and use the D channel outs to add it as a third deck on the behringer. You really want to avoid using minijack and internal soundcard when you have such a great card like the Audio 8.

yes…the RCA’s.

I’ve got audio 8 and just run it thru djm600 to my monitors, as aapie was saying that is nice and easy but you can use 5/6 or 7/8 if you feel adventures, all tho ther is little point in that I think, unless your mixer is really really bad.

Whatever you do don’t run it of internal sound card, as latency is enormous and quality nowhere near Audio 8

Riiiiiight, i think i have got this down now… lol lets give it a go shall we…

My laptop running ableton is the core of my studio. from my laptop, i connect the audio 8 soundcard. from there, i connect channel a and b to the mixer which will be for traktor scratch pro. then, i can connect the audio 8 channel c to my monitor speakers, then when i start up ableton it will pick up that it is connected thru the sound card to the monitors and it will work… please say correct? hah! :w00t:

Problem is you are not using balanced cables and I did read somewhere that you can get a variance of 4dB, not sure how true that is.