Logic Pro X

It’s out! If anybody finds out if they are doing an upgrade from 9 thats cheaper could you let me know please. Can’t see anything on the app store

Oh nice, this looks good!!br
br
Says here no upgrade applies but at 140 quid, its about the same price as the upgrades used to bebr
br

Guys, head on over to our youtube channel br
br
http://www.youtube.com/user/SonicAcademy br
br
to get four ‘First Look’ videos of Logic Pro Xbr
br
C

cheers chris will take a look

Cheers Chris

Yeah, suppose you can’t argue with £140

wow, logic is significantly cheaper than ableton. that is impressive.br
br
-r

hmm, maybe worth picking up and using rewire and feed it to ableton…br
br
-rbr
br

But now the Plugins have to be 64. So no change for using Sylenth 1. Until there is a 64 bit version somedays.

I have to say i hate the new appearance of Logic - it looks cheap, tacky and amaterish!br
br
Not very inspiring at all. Think i would stick to the old version if it was me!

Agree David, as Chris mentions in his review, the pictures everywhere make it very childish, almost like facebook in places.br
br
I like the look of some of the new features though, shame you cant choose your own skin for it.

For me, it’s just a classic case of changing something unneccessarily and effectively making it worse.br
br
I think the old appearance of Logic 9 was great - it looked really slick and professional.br
br
My hunch is that this is a deliberate strategy from Apple to try and target the young teenage market further. I think they have purposely made Logic look more childish and ‘silly’ to appeal more to teenagers, as they are trying to target this age group for sales of more computers.br
br
I guess everything Apple do now revolves around trying to sell more hardware - hence the reason why they dropped the price of Logic from £700 to only £139 in the first place.br
br
It’s a shame for the loyal users of Logic who have been using it for years.br
br

I like the look of the new apperance. Looks more fun, I find abletons a bit mundane. Anybody on here rocking it yet then? The ipad remote looks really slick!br
br
br
br

i was just about to create a thread about logic to get a feel for if anyone was actually still using it then came across this one… i’ve been a logic user primarily but over the last two years the content available to learn for ableton has exploded which has made me want to go back to it… now i’m having doubts!

They all do the same things really aha :wink:

Not for me at all, I’d move to abelton before upgrade to that. br
br
Don’t like the new layout and the new features aren’t that appealing. I’ll stick with logic 9 for now. It does everything that i need it to so why change? br

Thanks Chris for being right on top of LPX with your excellent videos! I am also grateful for all of the other teaching you’ve shared via Sonic Academy. You and Phil are such a great team. I’m learning much!br
br
As to Logic X. Agree that Apple is targeting a broader market vs. Logic being traditionally aimed at pro producers. All of the new GUI bears this out. Same with the “Drummer” feature. All of the patterns are too busy for a straight-ahead pop track. And using the XY pad to simplify the drumming is no solution. To me It’s merely a feature for rock players and amateurs who want to jam. Not judging this.br
br
At the same time, swept under the rug is the fact that Logic still lacks a simple yet powerful drum sound manager like Ableton’s Drum Racks. We are still stuck with Ultrabeat which Chris himself states in one of the SA vids could be made much easier to use. The lack of a device such as Ableton’s Drum Racks in Logic Pro X is the deal-breaker for me. br
br
Logic is a proven, mature, top-drawer music production environment. Yet it’s evolution like so many of its peers seems to be “bolting on” new feature rather than refining and reworking existing ones (i.e the ignoring of Ultrabeat’s need for a refresh). This makes a powerful example of the design philosophy of Ableton versus every other DAW. That is, less is more. In Ableton Live 9 we have mostly refinement and polish of existing features. Ableton itself is a philosophy of simplicity. The “eye candy” of Logic Pro X and all the rest will soon grow tiring. In the end what we need is simple, logical (no pun intended) straightforward tools for music production.br
br
I’ve watched a number of Chris’ Logic tutorials. They demonstrate what a talented and experienced producer can do with this powerful platform. Yet this new Logic Pro X upgrade does not convince me to abandon my pursuit of expertise in Ableton. And for me I can only learn one DAW at a time. So maybe later!br
br

Ugh, it looks like a Pro version of Garageband. I guess the idea is to make it look less intimidating. The look doesn’t really matter though, if it is more streamlined and has a significant amount of good new features 9 then i’ll consider buying it.

I think the look DOES matter though!br
br
If i’m going to spend the best part of 40 hours + staring at a DAW whilst i make music, i want to be happy with the way it looks!br
br
Okay i take the point that the only thing that really matters is the sound that you end up getting out of the DAW - but in this day and age and for a company as big as Apple, there really is no excuse for a DAW that looks anything other than outstanding.br
br
This is not outstanding!

And if you’re a pro producer - you could be spending something like 80+ hours a week looking at this thing!br
br