Logic Pro X

David, just because you don’t like it, that doesn’t make it a bad thing. Some people may prefer to look at something a bit more funky and modern.br
Also from a marketing point of view it makes sense, as macs are meant to be incredible user friendly.br

Yeah fine, some people might prefer the new version.br
br
But i think it looks absolutely awful!

Regarding the “look” of a DAW. First of all, you can’t hear a GUI. I used to say this about a MIDI sequencer - you can’t hear it (you might be able to feel it however).br
br
It took me more than a few starts and stops to get the idea behind Ableton’s GUI. But then I got it. We need to make music, much of which involves sound sculpting. The “retro” switches and buttons on some of Logic Pro X’s new devices are cool to look at, but they take up much more screen real estate than the simple controls on a standard Ableton device. br
br
I think Logic looks great. Both v9 and v10. My 80s synth-pop producer lusted for the hardware instruments modeled in the new Logic retro synth. I owned a number of them. But we are in 2013. I’m using ANA, Korg M1Le and NI’s FM8 all sitting in an Ableton instrument rack making a wonderful hybrid piano sound and all very easily done on a 13" MacBookPro (although I do use a 20" monitor at home). br
br
Once again it occurs to me re: Logic Pro X - a good deal of new eye candy but nothing resembling Ableton’s Drum Racks - the fundamental building block of an EDM track. No upgrade whatsoever to Ultrabeat. Meanwhile new bass amp models (???) and this “Drummer” thing which plays patterns I have no use for. To modify them with the amount of control I need would be quite a challenge - converting to MIDI, editing out notes, etc. All of this tells me that Logic is aiming away from modern EDM producers while Ableton seems to aiming towards them. Horses for courses I guess.

Yes i agree, this is kind of my point.br
br
My hunch is that Apple are no longer particularly bothered about proper music producers - their priority is simply to use Logic as a tool to try and sell more hardware, which is what they make their real money from.br
br
I may be wrong, as admitedly i don’t know a huge amount about the in’s and out’s of this, but to me it just makes sense that Apple no longer really care about making Logic a truly great product for proper producers.br
br
Again i have to emphasise that this theory is backed up by the fact that Apple now sell Logic for only £139.br
br
Seriously - how much intensive time, effort and resources are they going to pour into a piece of software that they sell for £139, when we all know that they could easily sell it for about £300 and people would still happily buy it.br
br
My hunch is that Logic will totally lose it’s edge as a really great DAW for proper producers - if this hasn’t happended already?br
br
But i might be wrong - i’d be interested to hear from anyone who has already spent considerable time with the new version of Logic and thinks it’s a huge step forward from version 9? Bear in mind that the improvement should be pretty mind-blowing considering the amount of time it’s been since Apple even released an updated version.

Agree and just realized it: The very bargain priced Logic Pro X at $199 will lead to more hardware sales for Apple since it is the only Mac-only DAW.br
br
Now after my last two lengthy posts, I’ve had a change of heart and am actually considering turning my attention back to Logic, which I own along with Ableton. I need to make linear-based MIDI tracks. I may use Ableton to realize these tracks in live performance, but for their creation and production, Logic far exceeds. The version 10 upgrade adds a number of tasty features to enhance the production process.br
br
In a perfect world with unlimited time I will need to become expert at both programs. But since I can only do one at a time, I’m thinking it’s time to focus back on Logic. And Chris has a number of excellent Logic videos teaching production of the type of music I’m interested in. br
br
So Viva Logic!

Yes interesting to hear Phil mention that he missed that whole linear arrangement thing with Ableton, after going back to Cubase for a project he worked on.br
br
Also interesting to hear you say you think there are some excellent new features in Logic X.br
br
Anyone else think Logic X is really good?

Chris - what is your overall opinion of Logic X so far?br
br
Sorry i would watch the videos but can’t for a while as don’t have access to internet where i can watch videos for a bit.

A good marketing tactic is to price below your competitors. They will generate more sales of the software at that price and probably take more cash overall. I’m sure there marketing department did the analysis to see what price to launch at… br
br
Also Apple wouldn’t ruin such a large piece of mac only software, and I don’t think anyone can judge it without using it. That’s my piece, it’s like snooty producers thinking they’re above fl studio without every using it properly!

[quote]xpa (19/07/2013)[hr]A good marketing tactic is to price below your competitors. They will generate more sales of the software at that price and probably take more cash overall. I’m sure there marketing department did the analysis to see what price to launch at… br
br
Also Apple wouldn’t ruin such a large piece of mac only software, and I don’t think anyone can judge it without using it. That’s my piece, it’s like snooty producers thinking they’re above fl studio without every using it properly![/quote]br
br
Oh god not FL studio…:stuck_out_tongue:

Hi David, what are my overall thoughts - Its a good upgrade, solid but not ground breaking. Whatever anybody says, its not garage band pro, it may look slightly like that, but you can thankfully remove all those crappy ‘icons’ and get it looking slightly more pro with very little effort. I have started a remix on it over this week and I really like the new workflows, they actually work. Retro synth is again solid but not ground breaking, MIDI Fx are great and a lot of scope there to explore even further with script.br
Track stacks will be good, flex pitch - again, should be good, and all this for £140 - you wouldn’t blink twice at buying just retro synth for half that price - its a bargain.br
Everything we have in 9 is still there, just in a different place or slightly modified. It is worth an upgrade. I don’t have a problem with moving to just 64 bit plugins, we have to move forward and sometimes cut the umbilical cords! Most plugins are 64bit with one exception and really, more people should be complaining that Sylenth has been so slow on this rather than complaining about apple dropping 32 bit, the bridge was really bad anyway, always was crashing. I will miss Supa trigger but can load it up in 9 or Abelton and return to ‘X’. br
You will get used to the look very quickly and within 2-3 hours I started to like it - however still think 9 looks better. br
br
MAJOR PROBLEM NOWbr
- All the name changes - br
Caps Lock Kyb - musical typing kyb WTFbr
Transport bar - control bar WTFbr
Arrange window - Logic Pro main window WTFbr
br
That above, is somebody trying to justify their job with absolute stupid meddling ****ery br
br
C

I just have to say after using Logic X for two days i really like it. The workflow is better now than before and i have not even gotten used to it yet. It looks so much better than before. I have to say its more inspirational to work with for some reason.

Thanks for the feedback Chris and Lonewolf - seems like the upgrade might be a good one then.br
br
Guess as always change takes a bit of getting used to at first, but from what you have said seems like well worth upgrading from 9 to X.br
br
Thanks for the feedback guys.br
br
David.

For sure, i was very sceptical to the upgrade specially about the 32bit plugins wont work, since i use sylenth and soundtoys for everything. I hope that sylenth will fix a 64bit version of the plugin and i know soundtoys is working on one. wont be the end of the world if Sylenth i just have to re learn another synth. br
br
Another thing that i was really sceptical about was that they had not fixed the EXS 24 nor did they have any “new” plugins that looked good. br
But The midi FX are great and the workflow and all that is just so much better, from my experience i have to say you have to try it before you can feel it. Its just small things that really adds up. :slight_smile:

Interesting that Sylenth has not gone 64-bit - must be one of the most popular plugins in the world!br
br
Surprising!

haha look up armin van buuren on twitter, He just wrote something like “we need to find this Lennard guy and make him do a 64 bit version for Logic X” br
br
and Morgan page replied soon after. br
br
This was about an hour ago! So they might have the power the get the wheel rolling.

I started learn to make tunes with logic 8 when it 1st came out, then I used live as a demo and bought suite straight away. I then did a production course at Manchester midi school which focused on logic so used logic 9 for a year or so then went back to live. There has Always been things I’ve missed from logic and was looking forward to “X” thinking if they had a similar play audio in time like live I’d switch but to see I’d have to get a new mac to even try it! What a load of ****e, I’ve got a Mac Pro 1.1 3ghz quad Xeon 4gb ram and I can’t upgrade to mountain lion all I can say is ****s

can the logic guys break it down for me?br
im an ableton user so im not really sure what logic has. Can someone tell me what does logic have that makes former users say I miss so and so?br
every post on the Internet is I miss certain things in logic. what are those certain things?br
is it automation related?, workflow? the apple loops? im genuinely curious.br
br
can they both do exactly the same just presented differently? or are there actual differences like the ipad app for logic or drum racks in ableton? are there others?br
br
this may not be strictly related to logic x but logic as a whole but all the net vids atm are just focussing on the new features.

My experience is:br
br
-Logic has some great in-built synths - ES2 for example is excellent.br
br

• I love the automation in Logic. So nice to use and all laid out so clear.br
    br
  • I’ve heard a few people say that Logic is better for doing Linear arrangement than Ableton - as obviously that’s the only way it’s set up to be used.br
    br
  • Alot of the in-built processing plug-ins and FX are really good in Logic - like the compressor and EQ for example.

For me it’s the plugins that come with logic and the content is generally easier to find, for me it’s segregated better into different categories

thanks guysbr
it seems to be the general consesus br
-the stock plugs are great (ive pretty much got it covered with 3rd party plugs though)br
-automation is better (im still not sure how)br
-arrangement is a little better (also not really sure how, i only use arrangement in ableton now anyways)br
br
I’m really curious how automation and arrangement is different/better. br
sucks you cant demo logic.