Minimal / Techno / Tech House Production Thread

Hello,

This is a sister thread to our HTSL Minimal / Techno / Tech House Thread located in the Tutorial Requests Forum.

[url]http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Topic30075-13-1.aspx[/url]

The idea here is that we pool our production knowledge into one place in order to help one another. Rather than always having the long arm out all the time, looking for something, lets give something back… Blush :blush: :hehe:

Obviously there is going to be discussion in this Thread - but the main idea behind it is to share what we know and what we have learned. Hopefully we can all compare our different ways of doing things.

This could, can & should be anything and everything: Tips, Techniques, Midi Patterns, Patches - (either actual file, or a description of the settings needed to achieve a particular sound).

This doesnt need to be something that you’ve invented yourself!

If you have seen something relevant in a Future Music Vid or Tut somewhere AND you’ve tried it & its cool - Let us know.

Posts should be like a Mini Tut - with examples & links to files or screenshots or audio or whatever. Nothing is too simple. The idea is to help everyone get the feel & sound of modern Tech.

Finally - Everyone is welcome to join in. The Sounds & Rhythms that we hear have crept into all genres of music - and vice versa!

So… if you’d like to share & be a part of it - then please do.

We’ve all shared some great music over in the other thread & I personally have been inspired by a great deal of it.

We’ve bonded too! :Whistling: LOL - & I’m sure we can do the same here with this!

If anyone is interested - we’ve set up a Techno Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/groups/171366219605866/

Well…

I was scratching my head to think of what the 1st thing should be & I decided to share some Midi’s of something that I was working on the last couple of days. Havent done anything with it cos I was having a great time assigning Cut Off & Wave Knobs to my Midi contoller & messing around with them. I had a little bit of a stereo delay on it as well which was cool, cos you could hear the change echoing when it went from filter up, back down to low. Try it when you DL these.

So… Thought I’d share how to make that 16th Shuffly pattern with a couple of little rolls in it. Its all 16th Notes, Quantize & some 32nd Notes.

This idea is used in Perc patterns / Hats / Basslines - Lots of Stuff. Thought I’d share, cos it took me a while there a few years ago for the the penny to drop with this… that & its always interesting to look @ Midis!

5 Midi Files. All showing the process of getting the feeling.

16th Straight (A Midi of 16th Notes)

16th C Quantize ( A Midi of 16th Notes Quantized with the 16C Groove from Logic)

16th C with 2x 32nd Notes (Exact same as previous, except a 2 32nd Notes have been added. Compare the 2 Midi’s and you’ll see the difference)

16th C with 6x 32nd Notes (Same as previous, except 4 more 32nd Notes added. Again, compare this file with the last Midi to see the change)

16th C with 6x 32nd Notes and Velocity (Same as the last Midi, but with the Velocity of the notes changed. Compare the difference between the last file - has a lot more feel)

DL Here - Shuffle Midi.zip - 0.00MB

If you have Ableton or any other Daw… you can extract the groove from the 16C Quantize File above to use in your own stuff.

Draw a line of 16th notes & Quantize it with the 16C. Change the grid resolution to 32 and replace some of the 16th Notes with 32’s.

Change the Velocity to get the groove bouncing. Side chain is also good.

This is only the start - you can delete steps, add extra bits / notes (Its all in C at present). I like to make my 16th notes a little shorter than 16th’s. But you can make them overlap if you want. You could also make the filter or pitch in you synth velocity sensitive & it could sound pretty cool.

[quote]berwin9 (21/08/2010)[hr][quote]ICN (21/08/2010)[hr]My one for Mac has stopped doing sound… must look into it when I’m sober :hehe:[/quote]

what software are you using?[/quote]

Used to work brilliant until I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

[url]http://www.araelium.com/screenflick/[/url]

[quote]Mussi81 (21/08/2010)[hr]Great thread icn!

[/quote]

Hi5! :slight_smile:

Forget giving him password.

He needs a breathalyser expansion on his 'puter.

:smiley: :wink: :cool:

Here’s my pro tip:

Load up a track into your DAW which you like the arrangement off or has a sound part in that you like in particular.

Loop up the section you like, listen carefully and replicate the part by trial and error :slight_smile: :smiley:

Is a pretty obvious and simple trick, but it works.

If you’re really lazy (like me) you could just get a youtube video and post up on SA and mention at which time the sound / sample / effect / etc happens, and what it is we’re supposed to listen out for and ask how it can be done.

Nice one Rob - Just to add something to yours:

What also works good is if you load in a musical Loop - such as a bassline or melody of some sort… Lots of sample packs have cool melodic bits, but you will usually hesitate to use them incase they are v.obvious.

Warp it etc… make sure its looped in time to your project.

Slow it down, and play along to it until you get the notes and general feel of it.

Speed it back up & you’ve got your own version. Would work too with Drums, but I’ve only done it with musical elements before.

if you like guys like popof,dusty kid,etc then this may interest you.

heres a midi clip from a very popular drumsynth with that “techno” swing,also included are 2 of my ableton grooves.one is only designed to be used for velocity,it specifies that in its name(great on perc or hat patterns)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xkc5iz

Nice one Bobby :slight_smile:

I would love to add some techno specific tips but I don’t have much that’s not already been added or covered in a tut.

Maybe we need more techno tutorials?!?

Well… Maybe just post something about something that you are working on - as an example.

Give a bit of insight into why / how you are doing something. Anything at all Man.

Anyone ever hear of that Old Fable - The Soup Stone?

Everyone brings ingredients which are added to the Hot Water (and Stone at the bottom of the Pot.)

Before you know it everyone shares what they have & the whole community enjoys a delicious Soup. LOL :slight_smile:

I thought that the Music Discussion Forum was meant to help one another out in the first place? Oh well, good topic tho. Im sure it will help alot out.

Rob ur tip was from marcel woods interview on the FM website wasnt it?? caught u out there lol… good tip al the same

[quote]deanmau5 (22/08/2010)[hr]Rob ur tip was from marcel woods interview on the FM website wasnt it?? caught u out there lol… good tip al the same[/quote]

???

My tip was from me :crazy:

Besides i never read the FM interviews (except the SHM one) and the marcel woods magazine i didnt get so :stuck_out_tongue:

And on that note, i’m actually chuffed now that a big known artist is giving the same tips as me :smiley: :smiley: I’m clearly on the right track.

C’mon Guys - Back on topic!

More Tips!!

OK this is from another forum but it seems to be working for me

[quote]roben (22/08/2010)[hr][quote]deanmau5 (22/08/2010)[hr]Rob ur tip was from marcel woods interview on the FM website wasnt it?? caught u out there lol… good tip al the same[/quote]

???

Besides i never read the FM interviews (except the SHM one) and the marcel woods magazine i didnt get so :stuck_out_tongue:

And on that note, i’m actually chuffed now that a big known artist is giving the same tips as me :smiley: :smiley: I’m clearly on the right track.[/quote]

haha swear to god if u look up the marcel woods interview he says the exact same ting! i believe u tho haha

[quote]deanmau5 (23/08/2010)[hr][quote]roben (22/08/2010)[hr][quote]deanmau5 (22/08/2010)[hr]Rob ur tip was from marcel woods interview on the FM website wasnt it?? caught u out there lol… good tip al the same[/quote]

???

And on that note, i’m actually chuffed now that a big known artist is giving the same tips as me :smiley: :smiley: I’m clearly on the right track.[/quote]

haha swear to god if u look up the marcel woods interview he says the exact same ting! i believe u tho haha[/quote]

i dont think anyone needs marcel woods to figure that one out,its pretty much common sense stuff.

[quote]bobby lupo (23/08/2010)[hr][quote]deanmau5 (23/08/2010)[hr][quote]roben (22/08/2010)[hr][quote]deanmau5 (22/08/2010)[hr]Rob ur tip was from marcel woods interview on the FM website wasnt it?? caught u out there lol… good tip al the same[/quote]

???

haha swear to god if u look up the marcel woods interview he says the exact same ting! i believe u tho haha[/quote]

i dont think anyone needs marcel woods to figure that one out,its pretty much common sense stuff.[/quote]

True

Found this blog for new techno producers

http://www.squidoo.com/techno-music-making