Mixing & Mastering - Mixing an EDM Wall of Sound with Soundprank / 471

Sonic Academy proudly welcomes ‘Anjunabeats’ and ‘Enhanced’ recordings artist ‘Soundprank’, here delivering a massively in-depth course on ‘How To Mix’ his signature sound. In this multi-part course, we’ll go into the process behind making a track sound bigger and larger than life. Follow along as we breakdown the elements of the mix process and give you top-industry tips on how to creatively use gain-staging and dynamics processing to achieve a huge sound. Prepare your brain bones for a plethora of learning! Here he uses one of his own track "inversion’ as a starting point. Don’t forget you get all the project files to download, so you to can have a look inside a professionally produced and mix session to gain an even deeper understanding of how the pros do it!

1 Like

Hi - This SoundPrank course looks really interesting… but i’ve noticed that the bass video is repeated twice, taking the place of the drum mix video, also the grouping video is repeated in the track play through! Perhaps a few teething issues?

Cheers

Hi Belmont, you are quite right, this will be fixed in the next 10 mins. Check back soon!

My main takeaway from this course is how to turn audio into a nice sausage.

In all seriousness, I’m going through the course now and it’s jam packed with awesome mixing tips, and really great specially if you use Ableton; but these can be applied to any DAW. Doesn’t hurt that Soundprank is a great Tutor! Nice addition to the SA library.

1 Like

haha

These videos have really helped me out, especially with small fine tuning. The skills are far more in depth than any video I have seen on this site. It is really helping me close out that last 10-20% of my tracks.

And as a Canadian, I am loving the subtle Canadian Abouts and Outs.

2 Likes

aboots and oots

WOW this is absolutely amazing !!! Thanks alot guys for all the useful information. I learned so mutch more. Keep on going Sonic Academy. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Sam, and so glad you got loads from this course - hope to have Colin back soon.

i love sound pranks music! amazing…… but beginner intermediate!? r u kidding me? never been so confused in my life. lol.

when I click on some of the videos it says “Sorry, this video is only playable on the following domain - sonic.dev”

Please help

real dumb, I have to download the files.

Ill be alright…

Soundprank is a great teacher. Love his style. This tutorial has been extremely helpful. Also, first time coming back to the site in almost a year (had to finish an MS degree). The new design is killing it! Way to go guys. Excited to get back into it. o/

1 Like

Definitely one of the most beneficial courses I’ve watched here, glad to have some Anjunabeats talent sharing their knowledge again!

1 Like

Hey - you should still be able to stream on the page and definitely shouldn’t be getting an error message like that. Are you still not able to stream the videos here?

Holy crap, this is a great tutorial. Easy to follow. Intelligent guy. Informative. Cool insights. Professional. Articulate. Mixing and processing decisions are agreeable. He doesn’t just tell you what to do. Instead, he suggests to try this or that and , if good, keep it and, if not, trash it which is generally what I would do anyway. He naturally answers the questions you have in your own mind as they would appear in your head as though you were sitting next to him and conversing in real life. He is humorous - which is a good sign of intelligence. Hey, he likes cats and carrot cake. I found myself giving thumbs up at the computer screen a lot. I like this guy. Thanks for having him as guest tutor.

1 Like

Hey Bryan,

I am still getting that error msg on certain videos and unable to stream certain videos.

With the infinity:1 compressor before the saturator in Tut 4 on Mixing the Drums, around 14:30, and that 1 second attack at 128 BPM I noticed the first snare hit was quieter (yes, headphones) than subsequent hits because it took that long (1 second) to reach full infinity:1 compression before hitting saturator. When he swapped saturator with compressor - not much effect. Interesting, noticeable, different, subtle, clever.

drop me a Private Message and we’ll try and get that sorted