Monitor Noise

So i finally get some studio monitors and i just noticed today that they generate some noise its not loud actually barely noticable but its that barely that is ****en bothering the **** out of me, its not the sound card,its not the Stable cables i removed all the cables besides the power one and its still there it only becomes annoying when im at keyboard range, the sound doesnt increase in volume which is good but my god its ****en annoying to me (theyre KRK 5’s btw)

anyone ever had something like this and how did you fix it?

i have the same issue with other Monitors. I tried to change the power plugs to see if it works but still there is some hissing.:frowning:

try sheilded cables the noise is probably picked up from your screen and plugs etc sheilded worked for me it eliminated the problem :slight_smile:

[quote]egg2 (05/01/2011)[hr]try sheilded cables the noise is probably picked up from your screen and plugs etc sheilded worked for me it eliminated the problem :)[/quote]

its not mt cables might be the power cables though or where i have them connected i want to try a power conditioner but i dont

want to waste money

I picked that problem up when I changed desks.

Because I’d done that i had had to, of course, unplug the set up and re-plug everything back in. The noise started after that. It was because, when I re-attached everything I’d plugged two components into the same 4-way adapter whereas before they’d been in a different adapter. Can’t remember which two it was.

Essentially, it was a low voltage hum. Yours may be the same problem. Experiment with different power plug combinations if you’re running a lot of stuff through the same sockets.

If they are making a noise when only the power cable is plugged in them I think I would be looking to send them back.

If they are only making the noise with the audio cables plugged in it could be a ground loop.

Balanced cables are only really worth it if you have long cables.

You could try plugging them in to a socket that is on a different mains ring to the ones they are currently in (so not is the same room, maybe a different floor or in the kitchen). If they still make a noise, I know it is a pain but, send them back faulty.

If at all possible try power your monitors from a deferent socket.

As jonsloan said above it’s a It’s because at least 2 things on the same socket are interfering with each other, I’m pretty sure the call it transformer hum.

I first came across it when hooking a groovebox up to a mixer.

If the mixer and groovebox were on the same socket I picked up that hum.

You get ground loop hum when you have two bits of audio equipment with different grounds connected by an audio cable. The hum is from the current passing down the earth of the audio cable.

Transformer hum = to me at least, a faulty unit.

What Ant said. I had a ground loop. Sorted now thankfully as it was driving me nuts.

… much like the little wheel I have down my pants.

badom tish

man i just got them :frowning: i changed the outlet and it seems to be making less noise its wasnt really that noticable it sounded like a very low white noise i have to either be really quiet or be next to the speakers to hear it…should i still return them? :frowning:

I would either speak to the place you got them from or to KRK. I know what it is like, you’ve just got them and to send them off and wait to get them back for a small thing is really annoying, but if you don’t get this sorted it will become more and more of a problem and you will regret not sorting it when you had the chance.

If they are not helpful check what rights you have. If you are in the UK and you bought them by mail order or over the phone or on the Internet you are covered by the distance selling act which allows you to return goods within 7 days of relieving them.

So basically your monitors should be plugged in separate from everything else? Cool!

Is there anything else to consider regarding hum and noise? I have lots of external gear so any tips would be useful :slight_smile:

i just cant get rid of my hum, it even shows up on the spectrum in ableton! i hope its dosent render the hum!

just making sure but you guys are not running from the basic audio cables correct?

i have my KRK connected through the XLR balanced port. i don’t get any hum at all.

Yeah, I’m running TRS balanced connections and all good here. I did have to change cables though! Which really p!sses me off because I have a million and one cables yet never the right one! Sure you guys are the same.

[quote]djc4 (06/01/2011)[hr]Yeah, I’m running TRS balanced connections and all good here. I did have to change cables though! Which really p!sses me off because I have a million and one cables yet never the right one! Sure you guys are the same.[/quote]

Lol ditto! I’ve spent a small Fortune on cables, not really expensive ones either (maybe that’s my problem) just loads of them.

My monitors are on xlr’s, but I don’t there the only issue as I have a few mid 80’s pieces of gear

[quote]gofunk (06/01/2011)[hr]i just cant get rid of my hum, it even shows up on the spectrum in ableton! i hope its dosent render the hum![/quote]

Wow serious? naw mine doesnt do that its barely noticable now that i changed the power cable

i’m on rca on my krk’s… need to sort that!

moniters do have a hum, if its that dont worry. all speakers hum when loud enough :slight_smile:

I can turn my Adam A7s up all the way and I can hear nothing, even with my ear against the cone.