Musicians Union Advice

What is it called where you register yourself as an artist with the musicians union and if your music is played anywhere, you can make money from it?

It doesn’t cost anything to do this, but i forgot what it was called.

Go to PPL or PRS mate

its costs £10 for prs when you make that much they take it of you & it costs £50 to join mcps.

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx

Thats it! Cheers guys.

also have a look at http://www.sentricmusic.com/

They manage all your PRS, MCPS, PPL Etc… (Publishing) for you and will also try to place your tunes with adverts.

They send out submissions most weeks you can pitch a track too… done a few myself… nothing accepted yet… mate of mine got the harp ad… made some nice £££££ out of it.

you should ask chris agnelli to hear the hollyoaks them tune we did! the shame.

Fantastic advice, thanks Phil.

By the way, i’ve filled in all my forms and signed contract etc with PRS, just need to send it to them with passport photocopy but is there somewhere I also register regarding PPL?

I’ve found this but i can’t see anything anywhere about registering?

[url=http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=435]http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=435[/url]

Just registering with that site you linked now Phil.

[quote]phil johnston (17/06/2010)[hr]also have a look at http://www.sentricmusic.com/

They manage all your PRS, MCPS, PPL Etc… (Publishing) for you and will also try to place your tunes with adverts.

They send out submissions most weeks you can pitch a track too… done a few myself… nothing accepted yet… mate of mine got the harp ad… made some nice £££££ out of it.

you should ask chris agnelli to hear the hollyoaks them tune we did! the shame.

[/quote]

Is this worldwide? Is there something like this in the states dude?

not sure howie? i cant think of a reason why you couldnt just sign up to them. even if you are in th US you would still collect royalties from the UK through PRS so no reason you couldnt join.

Call me thick if you will, lol, been a long day and I’m just trying to figure out what you mean with the initials, Google is playing games with me too and not letting on lol. Sorry mate! :slight_smile:

its ASCAP in the US aint it?

im totally dumb when it comes to this stuff. can you sign up to both of the companies PRS and the other one? and at what point should you sign up? when youve got a release out there? before? heard that some record companies dont wanna get involved with people already with publishers cos they wanna get you completely under their banner…?

[quote]phil johnston (17/06/2010)[hr]
[/quote]
phil regarding your mate… being curious/nosey, when you say “££££££”, how much “££££££” are we talking? 4 figures? 5 figures?

just a ball park?

i honestly dont know exactly but from experience a national ad could be anything 1p to 1m

i guess youd be talking 5-20k for a major brand with an unknown song

i know the irish tourism board played 150k for a chicane song they used a few years ago.

So Phil could we have a HTSL a McDonalds/Pepsi Commercial next week :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]phil johnston (18/06/2010)[hr]i honestly dont know exactly but from experience a national ad could be anything 1p to 1m

i guess youd be talking 5-20k for a major brand with an unknown song

i know the irish tourism board played 150k for a chicane song they used a few years ago.[/quote]

wowza phil, thats some serious bunce! :w00t:

the most i ever made of a placement of a tune was on the British Airways in flight entertainment system… got about 12k over a year or so…

the track was one of the most basic things id done… was a really basic 1 minute chillout tune.

I used to do stuff for BMGs production library… now universal

search for phil johnston

Flow motion was my most lucrative track.

The others on there did pretty well too.

[quote]phil johnston (18/06/2010)[hr]the most i ever made of a placement of a tune was on the British Airways in flight entertainment system… got about 12k over a year or so…

the track was one of the most basic things id done… was a really basic 1 minute chillout tune.

I used to do stuff for BMGs production library… now universal

search for phil johnston

Flow motion was my most lucrative track.

The others on there did pretty well too.[/quote]

thats excellent phil, well done. very inspiring!

how would someone (me) go about trying to get placements?

I got in touch with BMGs library publishers through an article in sound on sound years ago.

just sent the guy a show reel… about 10 tracks.

everything thats on there was done was done with in a 2 month period between coast 2 coast remixes just really try it out… didnt think anything would ever come from it in fact i stopped sending stuff to them.

about 18months later after i had pretty much stopped writing music i started getting these cheques in the post for loads of money. Doh!

see, i was thinking about doing this a few years ago but i was talkin to someone in the industry that told me its pretty much a closed shop when it comes to writing for TV shows and commercials.

he also said you need to be uploading new pieces everyday to them to even start making a living wage from it.

was he talking bs?

I would get a show reel together fire off an email asking where to submit and send your stuff.

[quote]jpgetty2win (18/06/2010)[hr]see, i was thinking about doing this a few years ago but i was talkin to someone in the industry that told me its pretty much a closed shop when it comes to writing for TV shows andcommercials.

he also said you need to be uploading new pieces everyday to them to even start making a living wage from it.

was he talking bs?[/quote]

the production library stuff is a bit different… they put CDs together that get sent to all the TV production companies. its up to the editors what beds or music to use.

Its a bit of pot luck but if you get enough stuff on the cds of a decent quality you can do well.

there was one guy who always had a bout 6-8 tracks on each CD and I was told was earning 100k +

Ive had a couple of tracks local TV ads just by going to local ad agencies and tv production companies and dropping in a show reel… I did the soundtrack to the local weather for about 2 years. got around 1k per track for that stuff and it was b4 i knew about PRS and publishing n stuff.