New Deep House Tutorial - Links Pls

Hello folks!

I’m starting to work on a new Deep House course after the response to the Maya Jane Coles thread in the later part of last year.

Can you fire up some links here of the kinds of things you’d like to see in the videos. Any artists/technique that you’d like to see in an up to date Deep House course.

Cheers

Graham

Shall we start with Maya Jane Coles? These are my 4 stand out.

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=420 src=- YouTube allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true”>

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=420 src=Maya Jane Coles - Parallel Worlds (Official Video) - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=- YouTube allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true”>

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=Maya Jane Coles - Little One - YouTube allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true”>

This from the original thread:

[quote]deanmau5 (16/10/2011)[hr]Can’t get enough of her style and i can’t findan help as to how she made it!

- YouTube

[/quote]

And this:

[quote]alanluvsfunk (25/10/2011)[hr]It’s the way she gets her overall feel with I’m struggling, I just can’t get my sounds to have the same haunting/pulsing vibe.

Using this track as an example:

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=- YouTube allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true”>

The first synth that is at the start and plays throughout is weird sound that has a crackly distorted feel to it that I can’t get near to. Is it more a matter of the fx I should use on the sound rather the the dry sound itself? At 3:22 there is an organ stabby sound that comes in that has the same feel. The nearest I have got is using sausage fattener until it has an overdriven feel and then turning the volume down on it and adding reverb. Am I on the right lines on miles away? Would you use sylenth for sounds like this or something else? Admittedly I’ve just got Omnisphere and I was searching through the presets and there’s some weird noises in there, is it a matter of preset surfing or making my own sounds to get the haunting vibe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMF7ymH97IA&feature=relmfu

At the start of this tune she has a weird loopy sound in the background which sounds a bit like percussion with fx on to give it the weird vibe. These kinds of weird sounds are used in loads of deep house tracks at the minute. Loads of tunes bring different  sounds in and let the tracks just groove away.

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=- YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

At 1:45 in this tune theres another weird pulsing sound which is either a synth or a vocal with some effects on, what do you think it is? Also at 2:48 the percussion she has going all of a sudden has a really weird warbly effect on it which is typical of these kind of tunes. These tracks never seem to change much musically, they just have these odd little movements on fx and stuff that keeps them from getting boring.

Her  vocals always sound perfect with her tunes as well, is there a way to really gel a vocal with the synths and stuff or is it just a matter of searching hundreds of samples until something fits, should I use a frequency scanner or something and eq the sounds to get them near?

I realise I’ve gone on a bit here but any help would be great as it’s what I’m trying to zone in on and am struggling.

Like you say though, I’m sure allot of it is her artistry, all of her stuff, podcasts/mixes included are great. She clearly know’s what she’s doing!

Thanks in advance

Alan[/quote]

Thanks for that, very useful.

In your first post could you give a little detail about the elements of those tracks that you’d like to find out about?

It was my post that Ant kindly copied in the comments about the MJC tracks so I don’t want to repeat myself too much but another track I like the feel of is:

Mark E - Darker - YouTube

Again it’s the overall dark dubby feel I like to tracks like this. The drums especially I find hard to recreate, keeping them moving an interesting.

As well as the MYC stuff I also like alot of the older US house like these:

- YouTube

- YouTube

Both of these have great dark drums and are exactly what I’m trying to re-create but I’m struggling to get away from the more main room sound drums, I’m not sure whether it’s a tuning issue or not? It’s the subtle movement that makes these tracks so great, they should be easy-ish to make as there’s not a crazy amount of stuff going on but I always find it hard to get the right vibe. I can’t exactly put my finger on what it is, it’s just the overall all dark groovy feel that I struggle with.

Thanks

Alan

what i want to know about the Deep House tracks is that i want to have that awesome Swing that is hard sometimes to make .

nowadays House Music sounds most of them Like crap . i want to make Deep house that sounds like Old School with new Productions Techniques .

[quote]alinenunez (14/01/2012)[hr]what i want to know about the Deep House tracks is that i want to have that awesome Swing that is hard sometimes to make .
nowadays House Music sounds most of them Like crap . i want to make Deep house that sounds like Old School with new Productions Techniques .
.[/quote]

Amen :smiley:

I think all dance music could benefit from this.   Bring some of the old school sounds back, but with a modern twist. 

Hey Graham - some kind ofin depth look at the vocal processing techniques she uses. The way she obtains those drained, old, haunted, filtered sounding vocals would be great. Ta.

all good stuff guys, plenty of food for thought, keep em coming!

Hi Graham,

Signed up to the service a few weeks ago to learn ableton. The service is fantastic, your tutorials are well paced and a joy to watch.

I’m an avid deep house listener, I was wondering if you could listen to a few tracks for consideration for your next tutorial please. I love the sway and deep down sound of this, I would love to know how to make some of the basslines, hats and effects in this, plus its a great track.

UruMusicArt-Electric Tea (cut promo) IbizaGlobalRadio Summer feelings vol2 by UruMusicArt

this track is just fantastic, bassline is incredible! can you explain how something like this is done?

J. Axel & Astrid Suryanto - Roam (Highway 73 Remix) by J. Axel

and finally this track, great sound, low down deep house at its best. Would love to know how some of the sounds here are created.

HM003 - Alessandro Crimi - Fil de Cassons Georg Neufeld Dub Remix by HomemadeRecords

Thanks for taking the time to listen to these, and I hope to maybe see one in your tutorials in the near future :slight_smile:

Love to know how to get those lush pad / horn sounds you often hear at the beginning of each phrase in Deep House. Not exactly on the money, but this comes to mind:

Todd Terje - Inspector Norse - YouTube

I love the electronic groove on this new Todd Terje track.

probably my favorite deep house track of last year.

Heartik - stab of the breed dossem remix

Some awesome deep house basslines

- YouTube

- YouTube

Life & Death - Morgana [Original Mix] - YouTube

- YouTube

maceo plex - aint that love(original mix)

THIS IS THE ABSOLUT BEST!!! :slight_smile:

love his sound. trippy and sexy bassline

Oops only seeing this post now. I’m very excited to see what you come up with Ginty!

I’d have to suggest giving this guy a listen. It’s doing the rounds big time in the clubs at the moment, and is one of those tracks that covers a lot of basic elements, but I think focuses on getting those elements spot on, and right.

Interestingly it uses a lot of the usual DH effects, but not in the usual heavy handed way you’d see now adays. There’s a few pingpongs in there you give it that ‘spacey 80s’ vibe, but other than that it’s quite tight and seems to be creating a light, airy sound by keeping all the elements very separate and not slushed together as you hear in a lot of deep house.

The synth and perc elements of the track seem to be quite simple - short sustained stabs and rolling perc - but I’d love to know how to compose the melodic element. For the most part the track is driving and rolling, but once the breakdown hits the track takes on a lovely, melodic feel without getting too progressive. I’d love a to hear a little insight on how that’s accomplished (aside from the obvious pads).

Maya Jane Coles has a real unique sound i think, alot in her percussion and main synth/bassline… i also would like a tutorial bases kind of around the bass sounds and synths of Tale Of Us:

Thanks a lot !

I thought we were getting a new deep house tutorial?

Must have been mistaken?

any day now… sounding great too.