NI Maschine

Just following on from a request thread. I’ve been meaning to ask this anyway…

Has anyone got one? Had first hand experience with one?

I’ve been considering getting one but is it really worth the dosh as drum racks is awesome anyway.

Guess I just want some buttons to play with! :slight_smile:

Some people I know love it but if you wanted buttons to push you could just get a nanopad and save loads of dosh :slight_smile:

Sorry but totally disagree with the last poster. I’ve had Maschine for nearly two years now and still regard it as the single most important music tech purchase I’ve ever made. Its much more than just something to push buttons on!

[quote]wickedged (25/01/2011)[hr] Its much more than just something to push buttons on![/quote]

Can you explain further then? What DAW do you use? Have you ever used drum racks in Ableton if so, why would you say it’s better?

[quote]wickedged (25/01/2011)[hr]Sorry but totally disagree with the last poster. I’ve had Maschine for nearly two years now and still regard it as the single most important music tech purchase I’ve ever made. Its much more than just something to push buttons on![/quote]

You took me to literal - I would love to get my hands on one as so many people rate it - :wink:

Take a look at this:

http://soundcloud.com/forums/gear-studio/10-reasons-why-i-improvise-with-native-instruments-maschine

I have a real lust for one of these, the only thing that has stopped me is the feeling that I am buying kit for kits sake.

It is a nice piece of gear, great investment and I guarantee you’ll fall in love with it.

[quote]djc4 (25/01/2011)[hr][quote]wickedged (25/01/2011)[hr] Its much more than just something to push buttons on![/quote]

Can you explain further then? What DAW do you use? Have you ever used drum racks in Ableton if so, why would you say it’s better?[/quote]

At the risk of sounding like a spokesperson for NI, here goes.

1. DAW integration is great. I use it primarily in Ableton, where as well as acting in its own right as an incredibly tactile and versatile plugin, it doubles up as a MIDI controller. It comes bundled with an Ableton ready template (take a look here to see it in action) that basically mimics the basic behaviour of a Launchpad.

2. Take a look at the video here that shows a great way of having Maschine integrate into your DAW. As Maschine is able to send audio out on multiple channels, each track inside Maschine can be channeled to its own track in your DAW. The thread discussing its use is here.

3. You know those glitchy FX plugins like Effectrix and the new Stutter Edit? Maschine can do that! Take a look at the thread here.

4. The new update due to arrive any day now introduces VST hosting WITHIN Maschine itself! I can’t wait - this basically turns Maschine into a DAW itself! So you can host Maschine within a DAW, which itself can host other VSTs inside itself, all of which will have their parameters available for manipulation directly through Maschine’s hardware.

I’ll stop now as I’m ranting. As you can probably tell, I am a complete Maschine fanboy, but I hope I’ve gone some way to showing you why. I don’t regard it as just another useless piece of kit, but something that offers genuine depth and is inspiring to use.

Plus its got loads of flashing buttons and twiddly knobs. Brilliant.

And just after I write this 1.6 Beta is released! Downloading now… :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

hmmm interesting! :wink:

I really like the idea that you can now use vst’s in the Machine - that sort of makes it a portable DAW

Honestly - I’ve been playing with the new update all night and its mindblowing. Imagine having a DAW that came with its own highly customised hardware controller that could automatically assign itself to every parameter of a VST plugin, and then seemlessly integrate that with its own native instruments and tracks. Its like using a version of Automap that doesn’t feel like a pile of pap the moment you load it up - an Automap that just works!

Its still not perfect. I was hoping, for example, that I would be able to use MIDI sequencers like Thesys and Consequence as you can in Ableton, but at this stage its not possible. But this is a pretty minor glitch. If you’ve been in two minds about whether to get Maschine this is the time to give it a second look.

1.6 chuffing rules! :D:D:D

I can see you costing me 400 bucks lol

Ha! You know you want it! :wink:

[quote]thetaxdoctor (28/01/2011)[hr]I can see you costing me 400 bucks lol[/quote]

me too :stuck_out_tongue:

I just splurged and got one. Its got a learning curve to worry about.

[quote]howiegroove (31/01/2011)[hr]I just splurged and got one. Its got a learning curve to worry about.[/quote]

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you have had some time with it Howard.

[quote]TheAnt (31/01/2011)[hr][quote]howiegroove (31/01/2011)[hr]I just splurged and got one. Its got a learning curve to worry about.[/quote]

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you have had some time with it Howard.[/quote]

Well, after using it pretty in depth last night, here is what i have to say so far. It is a very very versatile maschine ;). At first it looks VERY intimidating. However, the manual is probably the best manual I have ever read to date. The info is so clear and concise. It could be because the controls are laid out so well and are clearly marked. I think its gonna be like a new DAW. There will be a learning curve. However, this will do what i wanted it to do. I wanted a piece of hardware that will take over as my main drum production. Just going through the first 20 pages of actual text, I got a DOPE drum beat going relatively quickly. There is also alot of improvisational ability there for all with the click of a button (or two). Also, this will take over as my main piece of gear for controlling Ableton during my live sets. This will be replacing my APC40 in that respect. That being said, its up for sale for $200. Its only left the studio once. The Maschine feels good. Its solid and it looks nice. The pads are the best feeling pads I have ever touched. Other then that I can fill in more as I go along.

[quote]howiegroove (31/01/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (31/01/2011)[hr][quote]howiegroove (31/01/2011)[hr]I just splurged and got one. Its got a learning curve to worry about.[/quote]

This will be replacing my APC40 in that respect. That being said, its up for sale for $200. Its only left the studio once. [/quote]

Howie, is that with box, manual a bumf etc?  I might take it off your hands.

[quote]thetaxdoctor (31/01/2011)[hr][quote]howiegroove (31/01/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (31/01/2011)[hr][quote]howiegroove (31/01/2011)[hr]I just splurged and got one. Its got a learning curve to worry about.[/quote]

This will be replacing my APC40 in that respect. That being said, its up for sale for $200. Its only left the studio once. [/quote]

Howie, is that with box, manual a bumf etc? I might take it off your hands.[/quote]

Hey man, I think I have the box at home. I will have to check though. I dont know about the manual. im sure I have that too. Otherwise, its online. The only thing the $200 is covering is the item. You would have to cover shipping too. I purchased an extra long chord that Im giving wtih it too so it will work in pretty much any studio. Egg has first dibs on it since he got to me before anyone else did. I will know by friday on a yay or nay. Ill let you know then.