Ok then, what is Techno?

call me old fashioned by for me it’s:

Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Marc Kinchen (early days), Underground Resistance etc. Nothing from europe could be classed as Techno.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Nothing from europe can be classed as techno…

LOL - Nice bait Dom :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

[quote]ICN (29/08/2011)[hr]Nothing from europe can be classed as techno…

LOL - Nice bait Dom :stuck_out_tongue: :D[/quote]

Oh, am I likely to upset someone? Look, Technotronic might have the word in their name and use it several times in a lyric but they are not Techno.

hahaha!

[quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr]call me old fashioned by for me it’s:

Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May, Marc Kinchen (early days), Underground Resistance etc. Nothing from europe could be classed as Techno.

Anyone else want to chime in?[/quote]

These guys started it.  But to me it is a lot of the techno/rave music from the early 90’s, which was what I was listening to then. Those were the days…:cool:

To be honest i’m a bit out of the loop. If there is anything that resembles a descendent of the detroit sound being created now i’d like to hear it and be prepared to adapt my viewpoint.

[quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr]call me old fashioned by for me it’s:

they maybe american but its in europe that they flourished. they were signed by uk labels back in the day then techno exploded :cool:

and hawtin is from oxfordshire so would you class him as techno?:hehe:

One word, Kraftwerk.

[quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr]call me old fashioned by for me it’s:

they maybe american but its in europe that they flourished. they were signed by uk labels back in the day then techno exploded :cool:

and hawtin is from oxfordshire so would you class him as techno?:hehe:[/quote]

I do ‘think’ i prefer black techno producers but as I said i’m all ears. Do you have links to Hawtin tracks or anyone else that have a sound that could be classed as having a soul - even if it is heavily processed and stripped down…

[quote]saulable (29/08/2011)[hr]One word, Kraftwerk.[/quote]

it was kraftwerk that influnenced the detroit boys (among other european acts) :cool:

[quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr]call me old fashioned by for me it’s:

I do ‘think’ i prefer black techno producers but as I said i’m all ears. Do you have links to Hawtin tracks or anyone else that have a sound that could be classed as having a soul - even if it is heavily processed and stripped down…[/quote]

What are you talking about man, classed as having soul? You’re just talking about detroit. As ICN said, it was all signed in the U.K or to Belgian labels, German too. I’ve heard from someone don’t know if it’s true but they were making similar stuff in Birmingham.

Joey beltram is a great example, even though he thought he was making house it was early techno. They didn’t really classify it as anything other than that at the time, it was house music.

I’ll be 100% honest - I never liked any House or “Techno” from America. Nothing.

The stuff I started loving was all the mental european stuff that John Peel would play on his show at the wrong speed, then stop & play it again - still sounded great - LOL

I used to try and copy the basslines on the guitar & bring them into the band. Thats what got me interested in the beats & all…

Then, it was all the Birmingham stuff, Luke Slater, Ben Sims, Oliver Ho, Dave the Drummer… and loads of other randomers that who knows who the fk they are. Hope they are all well wherever they are these days.

When I look at my records, its more about labels than anything - Surface, Downwards, Pounding Grooves, Theory, Drumcode.

I know for a fact the guys that I began listening to were all influenced by the early house / detroit whatever you wanna call it - but I personally have very little knowledge of that music. I dont really like it tbh.

I dont consider that techno - I call it Detroit. Proper Techno is European.

[quote]ICN (29/08/2011)[hr]I’ll be 100% honest - I never liked any House or “Techno” from America. Nothing.

The stuff I started loving was all the mental european stuff that John Peel would play on his show at the wrong speed, then stop & play it again - still sounded great - LOL

I used to try and copy the basslines on the guitar & bring them into the band. Thats what got me interested in the beats & all…

Then, it was all the Birmingham stuff, Luke Slater, Ben Sims, Oliver Ho, Dave the Drummer… and loads of other randomers that who knows who the fk they are. Hope they are all well wherever they are these days.

When I look at my records, its more about labels than anything - Surface, Downwards, Pounding Grooves, Theory, Drumcode.

I know for a fact the guys that I began listening to were all influenced by the early house / detroit whatever you wanna call it - but I personally have very little knowledge of that music. I dont really like it tbh.

I dont consider that techno - I call it Detroit. Proper Techno is European.[/quote]

I’m in America, but I never cared for most dance music done here.  Whenever I used to go record shopping I went straight to the Imports.  All of the old techno tracks I have come from Europe.  Most of my really great music comes from Europe. :cool:

[quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr]call me old fashioned by for me it’s:

I do ‘think’ i prefer black techno producers but as I said i’m all ears. Do you have links to Hawtin tracks or anyone else that have a sound that could be classed as having a soul - even if it is heavily processed and stripped down…[/quote]

define “soul” in techno. post some techno tracks that you would say have soul because my definition is probably quite different :hehe:

Soul is grit.

A lot of these eastern european “horror” techno tracks have no soul in them. Its just the kitchen sink approach.

I put soul in my techno - ok they’re dead souls :smiley:

[quote]slender (29/08/2011)[hr]I put soul in my techno - ok they’re dead souls :D[/quote]

Hahaha :).

[quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr]call me old fashioned by for me it’s:

define “soul” in techno. post some technotracks that you would say have soul because my definition is probably quite different :hehe:[/quote]

Rhythm is Rhythm - Strings of Life/The Dance/It Is What It Is

DJ Rolando - Knights of the jaguar

R Thyme - Illusion

Will try and think of more…

[quote]saulable (29/08/2011)[hr]One word, Kraftwerk.[/quote]

Ok, granted - an influence for sure. But the detroit guys made it groove more for me.

Yeah but they didn’t make this blud.