Ok then, what is Techno?

Getting confused Dom - are you talking about the origins of techno then sure Detroit but everyone at the time their will say European Electronic music and Gospel were their main influences

However as i just posted something similar in another thread techno is ever evolving and pretty impossible to define

[quote]saulable (29/08/2011)[hr]Yeah but they didn’t make this blud.

[/quote]

Yeh, that’s a classic but it was like 90% there… i always felt it was missing a vital 10%. Ok, tell me something, where did Joey Beltran come from? I liked Energy Flash.

[quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]saulable (29/08/2011)[hr]Yeah but they didn’t make this blud.

[/quote]

Yeh, that’s a classic but it was like 90% there… i always felt it was missing a vital 10%. Ok, tell me something, where did Joey Beltran come from? I liked Energy Flash.[/quote]

Chigago. As slender just said, you can’t define techno. You’re just talking about detroit man, if you like that stuff you’ll find soul in a lot of minimal then as that takes a lot of influence from detroit sounds.

Beltram was originally from NY

[quote]slender (29/08/2011)[hr]Beltram was originally from NY[/quote]

and energy flash was signed to belgium labels :cool:

[quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]slender (29/08/2011)[hr]Beltram was originally from NY[/quote]

and energy flash was signed to belgium labels :cool:[/quote]

And Eastenders is his favourite programme

[quote]slender (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]slender (29/08/2011)[hr]Beltram was originally from NY[/quote]

And Eastenders is his favourite programme[/quote]

and he loves pie and mash

[quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]slender (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (29/08/2011)[hr][quote]slender (29/08/2011)[hr]Beltram was originally from NY[/quote]

And Eastenders is his favourite programme[/quote]

and he loves pie and mash[/quote]

Yeah but he puts ketchup on it

T

V

The Detroit sound really can be traced back to the early-1970s when African American DJs carted their mobile units around and layered the Soul of James Brown underneath the flimsy disco tracks of Le Chic and Gaynor and others for their block parties in the Bronx. The technological workings would really turn into the musical accompaniment in the 1980s of people like Afrika Bambaataa and early east-coast rappers. It’s just that by the 1980s, Americans knew that it was going to be very difficult to break with the musical traditions indigenous to this country.

Long story short: Americans have great ability to “start” trends, but difficulty in refining them. Take a look at anything popular today. It’s based on blues from the Delta region and Memphis (Robert Johnson and Memphis Minnie), Urban blues in Chicago (Muddy Waters), Soul and Motown in Detroit (James Brown), and a bit of New Orleans jazz to boot, but routed through Europe as if it were trying to pass final inspection. Europeans, especially the British, and good at taking our music and refining it to create things like the Three British Invasions (The Beatles, Duran Duran, and Radiohead), including many others like Clapton and Zeppelin.

I mean, heck! Even the great Jimi Hendrix had to go to England for a while to be taken seriously here!

I don’t want to hear any of you Englanders claiming any kind of great fame to music anyway, because quite honestly, you folks have never taken music seriously until your first great indigenous composers (The Beatles) made England the center of everything pop culture stood for during the 1960s. (And even then, most of their early stuff was a cover of Motown, Little Richard and other obscure broadway songwriters). You guys have always, up until 1964, imported your musicians from France, Germany, Italy and sometimes Spain, when you weren’t fighting one or the other.

The answer really depends upon your own personal definition of “techno” with regards to your age, generation, and musical preferences. This argument will be age-old… But I would give credit to Kraftwerk as well for starting the whole “idea” that is known as techno, not necessarily the actual music itself (and all it’s different forms) since Kraftwerk’s technical application is very 1970s. If one were particularly articulate in research and presentation, one might even consider people like Steve Reich and Karlheinz Stockhausen to be early pioneers of “techno.”

Again, it all depends upon YOUR personal definition of it…

@ Saul - ROFL!! :laugh:

jamie jamie have you heard of  george formby!!

http://youtu.be/sfmAeijj5cM

:hehe:

i would say both Steve Reich and Karlheinz Stockhausen were pioneers of techno :slight_smile:

As well as Throbing Gristle, early CABs, DAF etc etc

R&S were the best thing to come from belgium… they at least helped to redeem the country in my mind after the horror that was newbeat :wink:

There were some good releases on that label - i’ll accept that. But still I feel the american sound is what i preferred. I’d like to learn more about contemporary techno though… and see what I feel about it regardless of country of origin. Is the techno thread on here the best place to go digging?

Proves my point, Mussi, that England always linked “music” with “comedy.” As if it were so trite that it weren’t even worth anything beyond pure entertainment.

Also, the instrument he played has its roots in African stringed instruments that made their way through the American South and played heavily by Dixie and Skiffle bands in the South-east before hitting Europe during the inter-war period.

Someone with sense! But we are showing our age, slen…

[quote]slender (29/08/2011)[hr]i would say both Steve Reich and Karlheinz Stockhausen were pioneers of techno :slight_smile:

As well as Throbing Gristle, early CABs, DAF etc etc[/quote]

[quote]dom_moulton (29/08/2011)[hr]R&S were the best thing to come from belgium… they at least helped to redeem the country in my mind after the horror that was newbeat :wink:

There were some good releases on that label - i’ll accept that. But still I feel the american sound is what i preferred. I’d like to learn more about contemporary techno though… and see what I feel about it regardless of country of origin. Is the techno thread on here the best place to go digging?[/quote]

what about this? sorry i couldnt find the original :hehe:

All dance music can be considered techno.

Example:  The other day while giving a co-worker a ride home in my car.

Co-worker: “Oh, you listen to that techno stuff”.

Me: “No, that’s progressive house”.

Co-worker: “Progressive what? It sounds like techno!”

I rest my case.    :laugh:

Ill tell you a travk that is defined as a techno classic here in Holland. I suppose its quite contemporary I think it was released late 90’s. Even I love this tune.

Grooveyard - Mary go wild