Phil... a Sylenth God amongst men

Was flicking through some of the older how tos, whilst taking a break from the techno tut (excellent BTW)

The section on programming Sylenth (in the tech trance I think was) getting my juices flowing.

Can you expand on this Phil please, I am currently reading up on this so am very interested in more on sound design theory.

To get ‘that’ sound your after seems to be pivotal to a killer track, so I for one would love to see you walk through the design process in a bit more detail. Maybe it could be broken up into trance pads, techno stabs etc etc

I know you can start with a preset or simply tweak and hope, but to be able to do what you did in the aforementioned tutorial would be great.

Obviously there is alot of years under the hood on this one but a foundation cover would be very interesting.

Many thanks

J

cough

cmon SA dont leave a member hangin in the wind:)

Im actually doing a bit of recording today so i could do a couple of tech tips on specific sounds.

List what individual sounds you would like.

embed youtube vids or sound cloud if you can and ill try to rustle some stuff up ASAP.

I don’t know if that particular sound could interest hindsite but i’m desperately trying to reproduce it with silenth… and until now, nothing good came from my tries…

Trentemoller - Miss u

This is a beautiful sound, very sad… i guess i know why the track is called “miss u” ! :wink:

There are a lot more sounds i could ask u… but it’s the hindsite topic and I don’t want to flood it with all my requests ! :hehe:

Done! :wink:

Next??

Ive got about an hour left recording so could probably squeeze one more in.

Amazing… now, i know why they’re calling u “sylenth god amongst men” ! I wish i could do the same that fast… :smiley:

Well, if nobody replies in time, i wish you could also learn me how to do that fantastic distorded boys noize bass… just like in the 10 first seconds of the & Down track :

If i had more time to think about it, i would probably ask something else but i’m at work and that’s the only thing that comes up in my mind at the moment ! Anyway, boys noize sound is very interesting… very distorded and very dynamic ! I could use a sound like this in my own productions… :hehe:

Damn too late now :frowning:

I will post some sounds here over the weekend so be warned Phil :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been thinking of buying WELSH’S SYNTHESIZER COOKBOOK is it any good? I can only find it the US but since Iceland have switched off their volcano I might order it soon.

Kavinsky - Wayfarer (video) AMV - YouTube

phil please teach me how to do the bass in this :smiley:

Indeed, this Kavinsky bass is very interesting… :w00t:

cheers Phil :smiley:

Youve probably done for now but I am the other side of the world so i was asleep.

Anyway

The stab on .42 and following lead synth(dunno if thats tech correct but you know what I mean)

- YouTube

Around the 2.52 mark

Cirez D - Glow (In The Dark Dub) - YouTube

thanks

[quote]berwin9 (22/04/2010)[hr]Kavinsky - Wayfarer (video) AMV - YouTube

phil please teach me how to do the bass in this :D[/quote]

Done! its not 100% but pretty close.

Ill be upping soon.

[quote]hindsite (23/04/2010)[hr]cheers Phil :smiley:

Youve probably done for now but I am the other side of the world so i was asleep.

Anyway

The stab on .42 and following lead synth(dunno if thats tech correct but you know what I mean)

- YouTube

Around the 2.52 mark

Cirez D - Glow (In The Dark Dub) - YouTube

thanks[/quote]

Ive been trying to figure out the red 2 stab for about 10 years… Ive even asked him a couple of times… no joy.

Its very metallic so it could be a FM synth… tho i havnt ever been able to recreate it properly. theres a decent similar sounding stab in the sylenth preset bank called chicago.

The second tune im not sure what sound it is your after? is it bass? fx?

Nice one Phil

Nice banter on the red 2… Im glad I picked something thats caused you thought…Ive loved that sound for years. And never really heard it since. I was lucky enough to meet him after one of my gigs yeeeeaaaars ago but was a bit in awe to mither him about it :blush:

Anyway on the second, the bass to be more specific.

And if youve got any any time left - YouTube

around the 2.36 mark again a metallic sound (must be my thing)… a sound that has been running strong since positive education times:) and still going

Thanks Phil

So… ive been playing about a bit… looks like the red 2 sound and joris voorn stab are from the first bass patch on the dx 7 factory bank.

you can load it in to FM7 or 8 and play some chords sounds the same sort of metallic.

not 100& there but def giving closer results than the sylenth.

Phil… how did you get that knowledge ? Is it only the result of many years of trial-error or you also read specific books ? I wish I could listen to a sound and find the way to reproduce it, even if it’s not 100% the same… but i don’t really know where and how to start that learning… :slight_smile:

I guess a bit of everything… ive been programming synths for about 20 years… so i was about when stuff like the Yamaha DX and SY series was about. Ive had a few original analouges and VAs over the years. and learnt a lot from just twiddling.

I spent a lot of that time trying to recreate sounds from tunes. etc

I googled the dave clark red 2 stab sound and a few folks mentioned it could be of the DX series so i googled again and got the DX 7/11/200 and tx81 z patches for FM8.

Then i went through all the patches found the ones with the right attack and timber and played with a different random parameters until something started sounding closer.

FM synthesis is a bit mental… hard to tell whats going to do what until you play about.

[quote]phil johnston (23/04/2010)[hr][quote]berwin9 (22/04/2010)[hr]Kavinsky - Wayfarer (video) AMV - YouTube

phil please teach me how to do the bass in this :D[/quote]

Done! its not 100% but pretty close.

Ill be upping soon.[/quote]

thanks phil, appreciate the response from the SA team :slight_smile:

Thanks Phil awesome stuff :slight_smile:

Mike Id recommend The dance music manual if you want something to read. Its got a big section on programing and synthesis…its quite full on though but very good:)

I’m late for this one but I would like to see:

The Synth and Bass sounds from Steve Angelo’s - Tivoli

and also a good big room piano sound for the clubs like Sultan & Ned Shepard’s remix of Crash and Burn

we are working on a live feed… on like a friday or whenever where me or bry or chris, clarke graham carl or one of the guys will be live on air to do a really quck turnaround get that sound infront of your very eyes n wot not n all.

We might not get 100% all the time but would give you a real insight into how we go about making sounds.