Producer Session Live

just got home from the exhibiton. what a great day. anyone in london/england really missed out. 
met roben and band the dj (great guys).

had tutorials off of

dave spoon (pretty basic, nothing gained from it tbh… lol)

alex blanco went thru some great sample manipulation techniques and fitting them in your track using samplers.

tommy d, was excellent. all about how to record vocals and the songwriting process and general record industry stuff.

then we had the big boy himself, james wiltshire of the freemasons…
this man knows it all. showed us how to really get parallel mixing working for you, eqing and plenty of other stuff. lots of info gained from his tutroial. worth going to just see him.

you shoulda come!!!

im sure roben will be on later giving his review once he gets back to brighton.

I wish I’d come but with 39 C fever last night is probably best that I didn’t

How many people turned up mate?

Was wicked!

Great to meet you Mitch, and briefly meeting James (bangthedj).

We also persuaded a guy to come join the forums, i’m sure we’ll see him on here soon enough :slight_smile:

great to meet you too. hope our new friend joins too, he was a nice guy.

just looking thru my notes from the shows! haha like heiroglyphics, dunno wtf most of it says i was writing so quick! lol

gotta go… watching my hero hucknall on itv :wink:

Mitch I only really let a few into my circle

Im saying noting… Lol

Wat was that eq james recommended at the end when we was talking with him at the pc?

DMG Audio

[quote]roben (25/09/2010)[hr]Mitch I only really let a few into my circle[/quote]

yeah those that pay

[quote]roben (25/09/2010)[hr]Mitch I only really let a few into my circle[/quote]

Nice cheap shot

High 5 to Rob and Mitch…

Alex Blanco was good, though I had a high powered fan right behind me so it was hard to hear everything, though if I took one thing from that, it was ditch using plain audio, and always stick it in a sampler.

I liked the idea of the format though, so much so made me think about stealing it. Can’t be that hard to hire a room and a sound set up, then get in a few artists to talk through some techniques.

[quote]bangthedj (26/09/2010)[hr]High 5 to Rob and Mitch…

Alex Blanco was good, though I had a high powered fan right behind me so it was hard to hear everything, though if I took one thing from that, it was ditch using plain audio, and always stick it in a sampler.

I liked the idea of the format though, so much so made me think about stealing it. Can’t be that hard to hire a room and a sound set up, then get in a few artists to talk through some techniques.[/quote]

Yeah i wouldn’t imagine it to be too hard to do, just possibly a bit expensive perhaps?

I guess it would depend on the producer.

There are loads of local producers though who would be good to watch doing one of these seminars, like the Wideboys are really good, i seen one of their FM/ CM dvd’s and that was really informative.

Also possibly even Chris Lake, BK, Prok & Fitch?

Would be good to look into doing something like this!

Shame you couldnt’ have stuck around for the others though dude, you’d have loved Tommy D’s and James from Freemasons talk, they were really really good.

Innit, but I lost you guys after the first one, and then the missus rang suggesting going to the pub… easily lead astray me.

you know, i might be a little skeptical about how much information aside from the basics these guys divulge. I would think that they wouldn’t give their secrets to their sound to the general public. I dont. I would teach anyone the basics, but when you have something that differentiates yourself from the crowd, you dont spill the beans.

A bit of that I am sure Howie, but at the same time, if Eric Clapton told me all his techniques, doesn’t mean I’ll ever be as good, the creativity part can’t be taught.

A lot of the stuff covered seemed to be work flow and tips out on their own rather than hard formula.

Alex Blanco was talking about the importance of throwing out things that don’t work no matter how much you like them and how to just keep producing as you’ll improve and it’s a numbers game 1 in 20 tracks will be something special.

Nothing revolutionary there, but nice to hear from someone who knows. This was ontop of the general technical tips.

this is a good point howie, but the things that james from the freemasons was discussing was quite big info about getting tracks sounding ready for the american market. saying how they couldnt match the music coming out in the states and had to “up their game” getting their sound alot bigger and stronger. he showed us all how he does it. was eye opening and very informative. some excellent, was gonna say tips, but they were alot more than that. excellent techniques hes worked out and got off of his american producer friends and mastering engineers.

im extremely pleased i went. i cancelled a very inportant meeting yesterday to go and i also felt like carp with the flu, but was sooo worth it.

[quote]jpgetty2win (26/09/2010)[hr]this is a good point howie, but the things that james from the freemasons was discussing was quite big info about getting tracks sounding ready for the american market. saying how they couldnt match the music coming out in the states and had to “up their game” getting their sound alot bigger and stronger. he showed us all how he does it. was eye opening and very informative. some excellent, was gonna say tips, but they were alot more than that. excellent techniques hes worked out and got off of his american producer friends and mastering engineers.

im extremely pleased i went. i cancelled a very inportant meeting yesterday to go and i also felt like carp with the flu, but was sooo worth it.[/quote]

+1

Was brilliant.

[quote]jpgetty2win (26/09/2010)[hr]this is a good point howie, but the things that james from the freemasons was discussing was quite big info about getting tracks sounding ready for the american market. saying how they couldnt match the music coming out in the states and had to “up their game” getting their sound alot bigger and stronger. he showed us all how he does it. was eye opening and very informative. some excellent, was gonna say tips, but they were alot more than that. excellent techniques hes worked out and got off of his american producer friends and mastering engineers.

im extremely pleased i went. i cancelled a very inportant meeting yesterday to go and i also felt like carp with the flu, but was sooo worth it.[/quote]

What music that’s coming out of the states? What american producer friends would that be Mitch?

Are the Freemasons starting to put out hip hop? If not, than Im pretty sure that Europe has much better EDM coming out of it then the US. And why would they talk about their friends and engineers teaching them things. That seems kinda stupid. I would think since they are English (Im assuming they are) they would learn from others around where they grew up, similar to the way we all do. Collaborate with friends and learn from one another. It was obviously a bit different back then with a lack of the internet and such, but I’m sure he brought that up too.

[quote]howiegroove (26/09/2010)[hr]Are the Freemasons starting to put out hip hop? If not, than Im pretty sure that Europe has much better EDM coming out of it then the US. And why would they talk about their friends and engineers teaching them things. That seems kinda stupid. I would think since they are English (Im assuming they are) they would learn from others around where they grew up, similar to the way we all do. Collaborate with friends and learn from one another. It was obviously a bit different back then with a lack of the internet and such, but I’m sure he brought that up too.[/quote]

he said he and his partner are getting work from the US for direct release in the US market. i “think” he was referring to the beyonce and rhianna remixes and the like theyve been doing. an example of the US music he was referring too was the black eyed peas boom boom pow track. he said if any of you can get a kick as great as that then youre a better man than him lol

[quote]howiegroove (26/09/2010)[hr][quote]jpgetty2win (26/09/2010)[hr]this is a good point howie, but the things that james from the freemasons was discussing was quite big info about getting tracks sounding ready for the american market. saying how they couldnt match the music coming out in the states and had to “up their game” getting their sound alot bigger and stronger. he showed us all how he does it. was eye opening and very informative. some excellent, was gonna say tips, but they were alot more than that. excellent techniques hes worked out and got off of his american producer friends and mastering engineers.

What music that’s coming out of the states? What american producer friends would that be Mitch?[/quote]

dave dresden