Quick Ableton DJ query

Ok about to get delivered an APC40 to start mixing - been a very long time since I have done a dj mix so looking forward to this challenge

I have seen some pretty decent APC DJ templates which is all cool

But my noob question is how would i record my mixes - at the moment I will be running my dj set up on my old laptop (I will buy a new one next month exclusively for djing) and have a Maya44 which all worked well when I was demoing traktor so I understand how I set the channels up for cueing and master just not sure how i would record the mux itself

I presume i could use Audicity but not sure how i would set the routing

[quote]slender (28/06/2011)[hr]Ok about to get delivered an APC40 to start mixing - been a very long time since I have done a dj mix so looking forward to this challenge

But my noob question is how would i record my mixes - at the moment I will be running my dj set up on my old laptop (I will buy a new one next month exclusively for djing) and have a Maya44 which all worked well when I was demoing traktor so I understand how I set the channels up for cueing and master just not sure how i would record the mux itself

I presume i could use Audicity but not sure how i would set the routing[/quote]

A fail safe option would be audio hijack pro :slight_smile:

[quote]gavisthename (28/06/2011)[hr][quote]slender (28/06/2011)[hr]Ok about to get delivered an APC40 to start mixing - been a very long time since I have done a dj mix so looking forward to this challenge

I presume i could use Audicity but not sure how i would set the routing[/quote]

A fail safe option would be audio hijack pro :)[/quote]

Yeah if i was a mac user it would :w00t:

Oh yeah, forgot you were working on fischer price technology! :smiley:

There’s definitely a record your mix option within Traktor

Um, maybe I am being a bit dim but why wouldn’t you just record it into the arrange page with all the cross fader automation recorded. You can then export it as a wav, but it also means you can “fix” any errors.

[quote]TheAnt (28/06/2011)[hr]Um, maybe I am being a bit dim but why wouldn’t you just record it into the arrange page with all the cross fader automation recorded. You can then export it as a wav, but it also means you can “fix” any errors.[/quote]

Cheat cheat cheat cheat!!! … um I mean … good idea! :stuck_out_tongue:

I use a “what you hear” recording program to record system audio. You can choose what application it takes the audio from… Internet / Logic / Live.

I know Creative used to do one with their soundcards… I’m sure theres an equivilent for free?

Dont really know Live well - but can you not record it onto a track as you mix - on an audio track in Ableton?

+1 for Audio Hijack Pro.

Records 10mins of audio - free -  in Demo mode :smiley:

[quote]ICN (28/06/2011)[hr]+1 for Audio Hijack Pro.

Records 10mins of audio - free - in Demo mode :D[/quote]

ideal as people could only stand to listen to it for that long! :P:P:D:hehe::hehe::stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]gavisthename (28/06/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (28/06/2011)[hr]Um, maybe I am being a bit dim but why wouldn’t you just record it into the arrange page with all the cross fader automation recorded. You can then export it as a wav, but it also means you can “fix” any errors.[/quote]

Cheat cheat cheat cheat!!! … um I mean … good idea! :P[/quote]

LOL - as anyone who actually listens to any of my mixes will realise, I can’t be bothered “fixing” mixes (actually, I really like it when I can hear the DJ working, not galloping beats or anything, just when you can tell there is some effert going in).

OR are you using an external mixer and running two channels out of Ableton? If you are and you have a line-in you can still record back into a seperate channel in Ableton.

Will “resampling” record the master… minus the cue-ing?

[quote]TheAnt (28/06/2011)[hr]Um, maybe I am being a bit dim but why wouldn’t you just record it into the arrange page with all the cross fader automation recorded. You can then export it as a wav, but it also means you can “fix” any errors.[/quote]

Yeah that seem to make more sense - cheers

[quote]ICN (28/06/2011)[hr]Will “resampling” record the master… minus the cue-ing?[/quote]

You shouldn’t have to use resampling.

If you are using the Ableton cross fader you should just hit the Ableton record button -  it will then record everything you do into the arrange page and you can export it later.

If you are using an external mixer, you will be using 2 outputs in Ableton and the cross fader and eqs etc on the mixer - you will have to connect one of the master out in the mixer to a line-in on your soundcard and use something to record, I would just setup another auto channel and record back in to Ableton. You can’t resample in this case because you need the cross fader from the external mixer.

[quote]gavisthename (28/06/2011)[hr]

ideal as people could only stand to listen to it for that long! :P:P:D:hehe::hehe::P[/quote]

I won’t be starting any of my mixes with your tracks gav :D:P

[quote]slender (28/06/2011)[hr][quote]gavisthename (28/06/2011)[hr]

ideal as people could only stand to listen to it for that long! :P:P:D:hehe::hehe::P[/quote]

I won’t be starting any of my mixes with your tracks gav :D:P[/quote]

You’re not allowed any of my tracks! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just found this - seems it could do the job too

[url]http://www.totalrecorder.com/productfr_tr.htm[/url]

and this

[url]http://download.cnet.com/Free-Sound-Recorder/3000-2168_4-10698910.html[/url]

i mostly use a APC 40 + Ableton Live with isotonik 7 template. it have EQ, few effects, loop function and many more. record everyting in ableton and later you can edit in arr. mode. Works perfect for me.

Slender knew the answer to begin with… Fkn Munchausens :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]swier (28/06/2011)[hr]i mostly use a APC 40 + Ableton Live with isotonik 7 template. it have EQ, few effects, loop function and many more. record everyting in ableton and later you can edit in arr. mode. Works perfect for me.

[/quote]

Not come across that one - will check it out I was thinking of this one

[url]http://marshall-law.co.nz/dj-template/[/url]