RE: What videos do you want to see?

hard on city

I know this site is mostly geared towards audio & DJā€™ing, but I think it could be cool to see tutorials focused on VJā€™ing as well. ā€¦ especially since they often go hand in hand.

ie:

• reviews/tutorials of popular VJ software (ie. Vidvox VDMX, Cycling74 Max/MSP, Module8, Arkaos, Quartz Composer, etcā€¦), hardware controllers (NuVJ, Monome, Lemur, DVDJ, Kaoss Pad Entrancer, game controllers, etcā€¦) and other technologies and/or hardware (Miss Pinky, monitors, projectors, ā€¦)

• technique tutorials (common and esoteric VJ setups, using video switchers, matrix switches, using various hardware and software technologies together, using Ableton Live or other sequencing software to mix AV, ā€¦)

Hi,

1. A detailed guide on ā€œThe build-in Ableton Live Audio toolsā€, especially the Compressor (the difference between Ratio 3 and ratio 8, etc.), Saturator, Dynamic Tube and Reverb and some tips on EQualization. I tryd to find good guides on the internet about compression, but a Sonic Academy video, where i can see and hear it live, would be great!

2. The Ableton Live Suite Instruments (Analog, Electric, Tension), how and what to tweak to get a sound similar to a piano, strings, bass, etc.

3. How to master the Sampler Instrument, which is the bigger brother of the Simpler, and is part of the Ableton Live Suite.

4. Any other Ableton Live (Suite) production tips :wink:

Thanks

Michal

Trance video/s please.

Sounds of Sean Tyas, Armin Van Buuren and anything else with great uplifting strings yet some driven bass & kicks.

synth fundementals.

ie how to create a clap sound or a bass sound or a kick sound or a pad sound or a lead sound. what oscilators you need to use etc etc you get the drift.

What is the website to download the reverb effect from the Justice videos on building a drum group?

PC - http://revolverb.hostrocket.com/

Mac - http://audio.lernvall.com/

you will need to load in impulse responses to get it to workā€¦

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview.php?t=62458&start=0

how to sound like 808 State :slight_smile:

A bitesize tutorial on Breaks i.e. Stanton Warriors and Plump DJs etc would be awesome!

1 Like

Dunno if this has been covered or not, yetā€¦How to warp accappellas, in Abletonā€¦

It has been mentioned in a previous post but I know from my perspective Iā€™ve been involved in producing tunes on and off for a few years now and Iā€™ve never found any sort of course or video/written tutorial that breaks down the practice of sound design thoroughly enough. It would be great to have a tutorial that breaks down oscillators, LFOā€™s and envelopes etc etc so that we have a firm grasp on sound design that we can relate to any synthesiser from something like Massive right up to a Virus TI.

Hey Phil,

Would it be possible if you could do a bitesize on working with Vocals.

Iā€™m having real trouble layering vocals properly and getting them to sit in time and all that.

Coast 2 Coast - Home is still one of my fav all time trance tunes, iā€™m looking to get really melodic vocal trance but also good funky vocal house tunes but vocals = grey area :frowning:

Vocals really are a bloody nightmare haha, any tips you can pass on would be great! Even for recording them would be wicked too.

Many thanks!

Hi all was thinking maybe a scratching tute:)

There is some info in the motoblance tut about vocal processing etc.

I do a lot of vocal layering and the real key is practicing the timings and delivering good well sung tight performances.

time compressing/streching (warping) vox after the fact to get them in time always takes longer than trying a few more takes.

after that i use a bit of auto tuneā€¦ (Im terrible at singing in tune) if there are minor tuning errorsā€¦ then waves RVOX great vocal compressor.

then i play with EQ depending on what im looking forā€¦ sometimes i use a bit of saturation or vintage warmer to pump them up a bit.

We have a turntablism course scriptedā€¦ just a case of finding the time to get it filmed. hopfully get it done early in the new year.

I would love to see some info on creativity and arrangement, maybe a section on inspiration.

Something else would be a section on spatial frequencies and managing layers of music within a track, maybe some eq visualisation tips for us beginners.

Making fat sounds, always important.

Hi Phil, just subcribed waiting for the ok from kev.:smiley:

Id Love to see a tutorial in Live on the best way to go about putting white noise on the drum buss before compressionā€¦ like the sound found on fedde le grandeā€™s put your hands upā€¦ i know alot of producers use this trickā€¦ also some info on dithers, how to use them, when to use them,

i heard they can help make a track more gritty?

I guess thats part of the final masteringā€¦ can you recommend any? recommend doing this?

A tutorial on massive would be cool, i know my way around the synth but automating say the delay and release on one macro control in Live would be super useful!

Thanks in advance and also thanks for taking the time to set up this learning community, very appreciatedā€¦

Wayne

Just saw the tech house video, and it is wicked! Clear and focused on all the major points of the style. Well done Phil!

Iā€™d love to see video on the east coast house sound versus west coast.

George Morel miamiā€™s sound and Robbie Riviera mostly. They seem to encompass the west coast tribally/ more organic drums rhythmns topped by harsher keyz , more electro sounding.

great stuff, Thanks guys

Post links youtube links to a the robbie rivera stuff that your thinking ofā€¦ helps me get a better idea of what your after.

thanks Phil.

i guess it is more about Operator ( Ableton) the way you can program it, open it ,making the top layer sound really harsh ,rhythmic and not boring. i gather it is the decay they play and filter at same time.

i got one video of rivera where he uses that but not as well as in the ones in ian carey tracks. it is basically that electro vib. here are the videos:

Robbie Rivera Feat. Denise Rivera - Back To Zero - YouTube

http://video.google.com/videosearch?

client=safari&rls=en&q=ian+carey+remixes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

- YouTube

Perfect example would be Bodyrox:

Body Rox Ft Luciana-Yeah Yeah - YouTube

thanks again

Phil,

i was reading the post i put on about miami house, and graham made good comments.

instead of looking at the videos suggestions posted yesterday, the track of chris lake " only one" could sum up what i was after.

- YouTube