Shamefully admitting

Armin and PvD are much bigger than Tiesto and Guetta yet they still have time to produce their tracks?

Doesn’t tie up, either Armin and PvD also have to get someone else to produce for them or Tiesto and Guetta do have the time, but are just lazy.

i been thinking will.i.am. has really come into his own the past few years… making some great tracks… maybe hes doing the same…

this sort of thing has always happened, if you look at the sleeve notes lot of djs have there tracks co-written and co-produced, some dont mind you but lots do. sometimes on whole albums some on certain tunes.

same goes in the pop world with writers getting someone to perform their songs…

[quote]roben (01/07/2010)[hr]Armin and PvD are much bigger than Tiesto and Guetta yet they still have time to produce their tracks?

Doesn’t tie up, either Armin and PvD also have to get someone else to produce for them or Tiesto and Guetta do have the time, but are just lazy.[/quote]

depends on what ur talking about.

Armin & PVD don’t do full fledged albums every year either. Tiesto does 1 like every year.

Armin - Universal Religion is just a compilation of a bunch of other people’s tracks.

PVD does the same thing.

But they do spend some time to bang out some originals. And every couple years an album.

I know Armin stops touring like 2-3 months a year to produce fulltime. PVD as well.

they also do a lot of stuff on the road.

laziness definately has something to do with it.

[quote]jpgetty2win (01/07/2010)[hr]i been thinking will.i.am. has really come into his own the past few years… making some great tracks… maybe hes doing the same…[/quote]

Yeah I think that too…

They should just fess up.

Actually… think there was something about him in FM or SOS there a while back about his production habits. I think he’s PC based anyway… Really painted him in a good light as far as I can remember… But he’s probably an employer & has a organisation… but who cares, as long as the music is good.

I think a Pop Act - is considered to be manufactured to a degree. Or at least you accept that they have Teams of people working with them to gloss & ship the product. 

The Problem I believe is when someone is trading on something that is not real.

Being neither open or closed about it - its still being dishonest.

And thats the problem with DJ / Producers. By they fact that they are Solo, standing on stage all alone… they give the perception that it is just them.

Needless to say, we assume that because we do not see a group of people handing the Records, or holding the Laptop… but the DJ’s dont correct us as their career is based on a cult of personality to a a degree.

Lose that, you lose your position and its Pot Noodle for Tea. 

So what’s the morel of this story?

We should all fork out £££ and get someone to produce our tracks for us if we want to be getting highly paid x 200 gigs across the world whilst being recognised and known as a DJ.

No ok look, this is bothering me now, are we all wasting our time?

It seems to me that everyone who is anyone has someone behind their music, be it producing it or engineering it.

Is that the only way we can better ourselves? By getting someone else to do our dirty work for us??

[quote]roben (01/07/2010)[hr]So what’s the morel of this story?

We should all fork out £££ and get someone to produce our tracks for us if we want to be getting highly paid x 200 gigs across the world whilst being recognised and known as a DJ.[/quote]]

lol. the moral of the story is that not every DJ is a great producer. in fact. they are often just people that rode success to a certain point so that they could sell out.

this goes as well for producers to DJs. take the other thread going on about Mitsubishi.

not that any of us wouldnt take guetta’s place if we could…

i’d love to get paid 30k a night 2 DJ. who wouldnt.

then again I’m an idealist. so the idea of selling out pisses me off.

[quote]roben (01/07/2010)[hr]No ok look, this is bothering me now, are we all wasting our time?

It seems to me that everyone who is anyone has someone behind their music, be it producing it or engineering it.

Is that the only way we can better ourselves? By getting someone else to do our dirty work for us??[/quote]

i hear you man. it pisses me off too.

my feeling is this. get good at your craft. people will pay you for it.

in the end of the day… all the guys on the DJ list pretty much have a Team of people. but usually the team of people is for management, agents, travel, secretary, other stuff. the moment you start to take away the creative work for yourself… you become a sellout. eventually people will find out. and then its all downhill from there. Case in Point: Armin is bigger than Tiesto now… but a few years ago Tiesto was the biggest DJ on the planet.

with everything there is an evolution. generations of artists / professionals come through just like everything else. the trick is to make yourself unique & valuable.

the better you are at your craft, the more people will respect you for it.

I look at Justice as the perfect example. They make their music. They are great at it.

Imagine how much $ they get paid for remixing Britney Spears or U2. huge $$$$ 4 sure.

Then they get paid for performing and they continue to grow in popularity because people know that they are masters of their craft. Even though they claim they are not.

humility is something that people need to remember when you gain fame & popularity.

Daft Punk are pretty humble. Thats why they do the robots. They dont care about people knowing them. They want the music to do the talking for them. and it works…

if you lose that… eventually people will be able to see it in your work & dedication.

the public can smell a sellout a mile away.

Thats the beauty of Sonic Academy. they teach you to improve your craft. Not how to sell it out.

atleast thats my feeling on it.

being a producer that has engineer a lot of DJs stuff there are some DJs who couldnt spell filter that are great producers… they know exactly what they want, have great attention to detail, great feel for arranging.

knowing how to work a DAW is at most half of making a good tune the other half and imo the hardest part is coming up with great ideas and “directing” how a track builds.

you wouldnt get pissed off at a film director cause he dosnt act all the roles and work the cameras and lights.

guetta is a **** hot producer his multitude of hits and the list of artists hes worked with is surely confirmation of that.

love the kelis album stuff he did

David Guetta Rocked in WMC 2008 , i think he is a great Dj too and a Producer at the same time. he got a funny English accent do :slight_smile:

[quote]alinenunez (02/07/2010)[hr]David Guetta Rocked in WMC 2008 , i think he is a great Dj too and a Producer at the same time. he got a funny English accent do :)[/quote]

probably cos hes FRENCH LOL

Moral of the story is…“Don’t support those who don’t make their own music , as artist, yet try to pass it off as such”. I lost all respect for Guetta as an “artist” when I found out he didn’t produce most his tracks that got him known. BUT I DO respect him as a business man in the industry.

Love that new Mark Ronson tune…

Cool Vid as well… [url]- YouTube

I don’t know much about these accusations against Guetta ‘not producing his own tracks’ but I find it very hard to believe that he would put his name to a track that he had absolutely no involvement with.

There is a difference between ‘producing’ and ‘engineering’ music.  The term ‘engineering’ just doesn’t get used when people talk about the music they make themselves at home or in a small project studio.  You are actually producing and engineering a track you make at home yourself, but the term ‘bedroom producer’ just rolls off the tongue a bit more.

It is no secret that tons of famous dance music producers work with professional engineers.  Engineers that are not always credited on offical releases etc.  It has always been this way, especially in the early days of big DJs moving into production - they just didn’t have the skills or knowledge to ‘engineer’ the sounds they were after.

that Ronson track is little odd and they were awful live on Jonathan Ross the other week. Really really awful

[quote]jonsloan (09/07/2010)[hr]that Ronson track is little odd and they were awful live on Jonathan Ross the other week. Really really awful[/quote]

Yeah… they were ****ing 5hit.

Is tonight the last JR Show?

Normally dont like UK Funky at all… But this is really catchy.<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=Donaeo. I'm Fly - OFFICIAL Video - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

UK Funky? Has Chris Morris been involved?