Should the tutors stick with sylenth

[quote]daphunkeybeatnik (16/05/2010)[hr]@John fisher

Every Synth has its own Character !

Why not showing the people different Guis and the subtractic Synthesis for ?<br> <br> Its boring to see always the Sylenth 1 ;)[/quote]

like i’ve said put it to the vote, i really am not bothered which synth people want to use. i just thought it would make more financial sense for those that don’t already own 20 synths to just stick to one synth.

imo SA using multiple synths will push those that can’t afford it into using cracked software

Stick to one synth, the principles are the same no matter what synth you use so what’s the point in changing? It’s only going to p*ss everyone off because everyones only just about got Sylenth now.

[quote]jon_fisher (16/05/2010)[hr][quote][/quote]

like i’ve said put it to the vote, i really am not bothered which synth people want to use. i just thought it would make more financial sense for those that don’t already own 20 synths to just stick to one synth.

imo SA using multiple synths will push those that can’t afford it into using cracked software[/quote]

Money Money Money…

Total sense. Quite a lot of people are probably using cracked Ableton / Sylenth  - everything, as it is…

[quote]roben (16/05/2010)[hr]Stick to one synth, the principles are the same no matter what synth you use so what’s the point in changing? It’s only going to p*ss everyone off because everyones only just about got Sylenth now.[/quote]

Yup - Thats it… Sickener!

More Sylenth - Not Less!!

[quote]daphunkeybeatnik (16/05/2010)[hr]@John fisher

Every Synth has its own Character !

Why not showing the people different Guis and the subtractic Synthesis for ?<BR><BR>Its boring to see always the Sylenth 1 ;)[/quote]

One of the oddest posts I’ve read all year anywhere.

Surely you listen to the results coming out of Sylenth, rather than watching the Cursor flicker over the GUI?

I dunno… “why not showing the people different Gui’s and the subtractic Synthesis for?”

Lets debate this of course…

- but hopefully our discussion won’t ruin it for those who are serious about learning; by wrongly influencing SA to swap synths just because some people are fickle about cosmetics.

. one of the reason that i would like SA to keep making more Tutorials with sylenths is because i already learned my synth engine very well .

to create similar or if not variation of the Sylenth tutorials. it gets really challenging sometimes when you work with a different synth but at the end it is the same synthesis techniques . unless you use FM :smiley:

All the tutorials should be done in Sylenth for a couple reasons…

A) It sounds very good for a software synth.

B) It is inexpensive (relatively speaking)

C) The interface is easy to understand

D) The controls/parameters are laid out in a fashion which it is easy to understand what everything is doing. This makes it easier for a newer sound designer to transfer this knowledge to a synth of their choice.

Yes, Sylenth all the way. Like others have said its better to know one synth inside out then to know a little on many synths.

[quote]howiegroove (17/05/2010)[hr]All the tutorials should be done in Sylenth for a couple reasons…

D) The controls/parameters are laid out in a fashion which it is easy to understand what everything is doing. This makes it easier for a newer sound designer to transfer this knowledge to a synth of their choice.[/quote]

add to that the fact that every parameter can be automated including the waveforms, its low cpu usage, can replicate just about every analogue synth (to an extent) has the best filters on any software synth i’ve ever used and rock solid effects

[quote]jon_fisher (17/05/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (17/05/2010)[hr]All the tutorials should be done in Sylenth for a couple reasons…

D) The controls/parameters are laid out in a fashion which it is easy to understand what everything is doing. This makes it easier for a newer sound designer to transfer this knowledge to a synth of their choice.[/quote]

add to that the fact that every parameter can be automated including the waveforms, its low cpu usage, can replicate just about every analogue synth (to an extent) has the best filters on any software synth i’ve ever used and rock solid effects[/quote]

I dont know about how “analogue” it sounds, but I strongly believe that the filters on Sylenth dont come close to the filters on DCAM

[quote]icn (15/05/2010)[hr]I think that its a big mistake going with more synths.

The whole reason why people dont know what they’re doing is cos they have too much choice.

More Sylenth - Not Less.

If SA want to use Operator in tandem with Sylenth - then all good… but bringing more 5hit in to confuse people more & encourage plugin greediness is definitely to be avoided in an educational arena such as this…

Pointless & diverting.

To all of those who are beginner & intermediate & looking for tut’s on synthesis… Pick one capable synth - learn it inside out. End of.

Put the gear lust aside until you can walk… otherwise you are only wasting your time & money.

Word:

Well I certainly got you guys talkin. To to be fair I think it’s best to stick with sylenth for tutorial purposes, so could there be a “synth showcase” section to the site, or is that another post?

[quote]howiegroove (17/05/2010)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (17/05/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (17/05/2010)[hr]All the tutorials should be done in Sylenth for a couple reasons…

add to that the fact that every parameter can be automated including the waveforms, its low cpu usage, can replicate just about every analogue synth (to an extent) has the best filters on any software synth i’ve ever used and rock solid effects[/quote]

I dont know about how “analogue” it sounds, but I strongly believe that the filters on Sylenth dont come close to the filters on DCAM[/quote]

don’t know so much to be fair they can be pushed way past self oscillation and still sound great, the filters on D.cam are fantastic and very “real” sounding but i don’t find them to have the same range as the sylenth filters.

just my personal opinion though (nothing pro lol)

[quote]mussi81 (17/05/2010)[hr]Well I certainly got you guys talkin. To to be fair I think it’s best to stick with sylenth for tutorial purposes, so could there be a “synth showcase” section to the site, or is that another post?[/quote]

i think that we should have a sylenth section of the site to be fair, somewhere people can share patches and videos or tricks that they have learned with the “sonic academy” chosen synth.

that’s also one of the reasons to stick with sylenth, can’t find the post right now but when the forum voted on synths to use sylenth came out on top by a land slide

sylenth section sounds like a cool idea

Speaking as a newbie to music production, Ableton and SA I would definitely say stick with Sylenth.

I am already getting sucked into downloading oodles and oodles of loops and presets. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that when I get the creative bug, I sit down excitedly to get the idea down before it vanishes, and before I know it I’m sidetracked with sifting through thousands of presets, loops and effects… and then I can’t remember the idea I had. :crazy: So my aim is to learn Ableton and Sylenth really well so that won’t be sifting through any of those things until I at least have the basic idea down. And in any case, I’m sure that Sylenth and Ableton can already do what I’m aiming for, I just don’t know them well enough yet.

I don’t need encouragement to spend more money, I do that very well on my own…(my APC40 arrives tomorrow…:smiley: ).

[quote]nikkinakkinoodles (08/07/2010)[hr]Speaking as a newbie to music production, Ableton and SA I would definitely say stick with Sylenth.

I am already getting sucked into downloading oodles and oodles of loops and presets. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that when I get the creative bug, I sit down excitedly to get the idea down before it vanishes, and before I know it I’m sidetracked with sifting through thousands of presets, loops and effects… and then I can’t remember the idea I had. :crazy: So my aim is to learn Ableton and Sylenth really well so that won’t be sifting through any of those things until I at least have the basic idea down. And in any case, I’m sure that Sylenth and Ableton can already do what I’m aiming for, I just don’t know them well enough yet.

I don’t need encouragement to spend more money, I do that very well on my own…(my APC40 arrives tomorrow…:smiley: ).[/quote]

Stick with the basic waves for a project Man…

Sines for low basses.

Saws for a bit of a riff & a bit of noise for fx etc here & there - not especially just wooshes…

Try making a track with just these basics & add external fx onto them yourself.

Its interesting limiting yourself to these & see how you can make a cool track.

Easier to mix & balance too as there isnt mental Freq’s lashing all over the place.

I’d definitely recommend doing that to anyone.

[quote]nikkinakkinoodles (08/07/2010)[hr]Speaking as a newbie to music production, Ableton and SA I would definitely say stick with Sylenth.

I don’t need encouragement to spend more money, I do that very well on my own…(my APC40 arrives tomorrow…:smiley: ).[/quote]

Something you have to remember as a noob, that I never knew until later, is that every sound you have can be used for something different. Every sound can be broken down into a waveform and you can loop a few cycles of that waveform and play notes with it. Once you learn how to transpose it to middle C, they you can go anywhere with it. good luck.

Show us more please synths please. I sure any functions can be applyed to other synths but it would be good to get a wider view

@ howie I don’t fully understand what you mean, maybe you could do a short tutorial?