Something must be wrong with me

I hate hi-hats ! When I listen to pro mixes or drum loops if the hi-hats are moving to much I can’t stand listing to it ! Whats up with that ? All Hi-hats give me a headache - And I can’t stand the crunchy hi-hats .

Yet few hi-hats in a track with focus on Bongos congas I love ! Feels softer on the ears .

So would I be the only one out there hating on hi-hats ?

I don’t hate shakers …

I am not sure why hi hats are in most dance tracks. I’ve just come to expect them in there because they always are. I guess they just add something to the track.  I don’t really care for the real metallic sounding ones though. 

I do like a lot of other percussion sounds in the music I listen to.   

[quote]JayD3 (19/08/2011)[hr]I am not sure why hi hats are in most dance tracks.I’vejust come to expect them in there because they always are.I guess they just add something to the track.I don’t really care for the real metallic sounding ones though.

I do like alot of otherpercussion sounds in themusic I listen to. [/quote]

True … I 95% on bongos Congas and Shakers . Just never end up using Hi-hats much .

Yeah, I love congas, shakers, etc. too.  If you are using a lot of those in your music, I think you can get away without using hi hats.  There is no law that says you have to use them.  But some genres, like house, you just always hear them.

Hi hats are pretty much what keep your groove moving forward, in pretty much all western music so with that i would say theres something wrong with you…

I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?

[quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr]I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?[/quote]

! Maybe its the high tones that bother me that most ! but lowend hi-hats would sound nice with a shaker .

[quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr]I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?[/quote]

! Maybe its the high tones that bother me that most ! but lowend hi-hats would sound nice with a shaker .[/quote]

Um. I was joking Salvation. As far as I know there is no such thing as a low hat but i’m all ears if something like that exists.

[quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr]I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?[/quote]

! Maybe its the high tones that bother me that most ! but lowend hi-hats would sound nice with a shaker .[/quote]

Um. I was joking Salvation. As far as I know there is no such thing as a low hat but i’m all ears if something like that exists.[/quote]

turning down the tonal frequencies drop on the hi-hats .

[quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr]I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?[/quote]

Um. I was joking Salvation. As far as I know there is no such thing as a low hat but i’m all ears if something like that exists.[/quote]

turning down the tonal frequencies with 2 octave drop on the hi-hats .[/quote]

Is this a valid technique? shifting a high hat down by 2 octaves? I’ll have a go and see what happens… never considered this before. And is this then known as a low hat?

[quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr]I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?[/quote]

Is this a valid technique? shifting a high hat down by 2 octaves? I’ll have a go and see what happens… never considered this before. And is this then known as a low hat?[/quote]

yes its valid . You can also do this with a kick .

[quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr]I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?[/quote]

Is this a valid technique? shifting a high hat down by 2 octaves? I’ll have a go and see what happens… never considered this before. And is this then known as a low hat?[/quote]

yes its valid . You can also do this with a kick .[/quote] A kick down two octaves? you serious? that would be a world of flabbyness no? surely the speakers can’t cope?

Dont know about you but I absolutely hate transposing the hats two octaves down… Gives the hat some weird sounds.

I do it sometimes (never produced a full track with this technique) with another one layered at the original level/octave and usually only go one octave down… Just sounds better for me personally.

I think hats are vital for the EDM genre, unless you can get an alternative and I personally think shakers are a perfect alternate instrument to use which you seem to be already using…

[quote]JayD3 (19/08/2011)[hr]I am not sure why hi hats are in most dance tracks. I’ve just come to expect them in there because they always are. I guess they just add something to the track.  [/quote]

I thought i was to fill the track more so that your track has more depth.

[quote]Hardstyler (21/08/2011)[hr][quote]JayD3 (19/08/2011)[hr]I am not sure why hi hats are in most dance tracks.I’vejust come to expect them in there because they always are.I guess they just add something to the track.[/quote]

I thought i was to fill the track more so that your track has more depth.[/quote]

Yea, it is. but as said above, u can use a shaker or other high freq sounds to get the same effect

[quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr]I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?[/quote]

yes its valid . You can also do this with a kick .[/quote] A kick down two octaves? you serious? that would be a world of flabbyness no? surely the speakers can’t cope?[/quote]

never said the Low end ! Just messing with the top end .

[quote]P-Shot (21/08/2011)[hr][quote]Hardstyler (21/08/2011)[hr][quote]JayD3 (19/08/2011)[hr]I am not sure why hi hats are in most dance tracks.I’vejust come to expect them in there because they always are.I guess they just add something to the track.[/quote]

I thought i was to fill the track more so that your track has more depth.[/quote]

Yea, it is. but as said above, u can use a shaker or other high freq sounds to get the same effect[/quote]

Well I was messing around with a shaker and then a hi-hat that was drop a few notes . made a layer from the 2 . End results sounds clean .

[quote]MistroPain (20/08/2011)[hr]Dont know about you but I absolutely hate transposing the hats two octaves down… Gives the hat some weird sounds.

I do it sometimes (never produced a full track with this technique) with another one layered at the original level/octave and usually only go one octave down… Just sounds better for me personally.

I think hats are vital for the EDM genre, unless you can get an alternative and I personally think shakers are a perfect alternate instrument to use which you seem to be already using…[/quote]

Also I never said 2 octaves maybe a few tones down . But yes 2 octaves would be to low .

[quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]Salvation (20/08/2011)[hr][quote]dom_moulton (20/08/2011)[hr]I’ve noticed a lot of tracks these days without hats. Chocolate Puma for example dont seem to rely on them. Maybe you should avoid using the high hats and instead use low ones? just a thought?[/quote]

I was in a rush yeah not octaves but messing with the pitch .