Sonic users

[quote]dom_moulton (27/08/2011)[hr]
Im beginning to sound like a broken record…[/quote]

Remember them?

I’ve a heap of 45’s that play @ 33 and 45’s that play @ 33.

Crap. Couldnt put the needle on them in the shop cos they had all that paper on them - didnt find out 'til I got home :smiley:

Who is this paul guy anyway? :wink:

[quote]phil johnston (28/08/2011)[hr]Who is this paul guy anyway? ;)[/quote]

I’m Paul and so is my wife

A cambodian boys arse lets out a sigh of relief that Slender has a Wife

[quote]ICN (28/08/2011)[hr]A cambodian boys arse lets out a sigh of relief that Slender has a Wife[/quote]

That cambodian boy is now my wife

Ting Tong! :smiley:

[quote]JamieinNC (27/08/2011)[hr]

Secondly, there are many folks on this board who are more than equipped to help others learn concepts, but are not willing to share that information for whatever reason they feel is necessary to retain that help. Lots of takers, but very few givers. That’s all I’ll say about that.

[/quote]

as for a good example . i remember asking a member of SA . how he created his drones or atmospherics in the background of his track .

he was like:. hmm yeah , you use reverbs as sends

how the heck is that supposed to be an answer? . lol

Hmmm I need details … hmmmm…Slender *Cough * *Cough *

on a serious note . most of the producers have always some kind of trick that makes them different than other. and sometimes that cant be shared to everyone.

what about trading ? maybe we all can have a Skype Chat room where we can show our tracks and interchange tricks ?

what u guys think ?

just thought i’d chime in

we have been trying hard to push for artist involvement but as phil says none of them really want to give away their secrets, but we will keep trying!

as for the advanced content, again this is something that we are moving into - but its the old case of keeping everyone happy / finding the right tutors to help out etc. etc.

we’ve spent a lot of money on re-developing the site recently and all these changes will be going live soon - can’t wait for you all to see them

we have a lot of interesting projects lined up for this year! - (it’s our birthday on the 31st August 2011. one year since the good guys bought the company) and rest assured it will be full steam ahead !

I kinda get your point egg, like i find that sometimes too, like re-hashed paint by numbers. But then there are also lots of cool little tips and tricks that are added in each which makes you think “ahh yes, didn’t think of trying that”, which i kinda like.

I’ve been here way to long now, but i do love it, like old furnature i’ll always support the site.

It’s worth considering that there are many ways to do the same thing. Some are text book and the way they are ‘supposed’ to be, some are against the grain but work whilst others are mistakes that in the grand scheme of things play an important part.

Being good at music production is not about learning from one person or two people, it’s from as many people as possible. Some of us had the benefit of working closely with engineers, programmers, tape operators and other staff in the studio, each with their area of expertise. This broad set of opinions contributes to the pool of knowledge.

Those of you starting out need to be hungry and tirelessly relentless in your pursuit of knowledge. Don’t take shortcuts, always push harder in your search for the answers. A subscription from here is one thing but you need more, your quest should be much bigger. The guys here know their stuff but they don’t know it like someone else. I’m not knocking what’s here, it’s valid but needs to be part of a bigger picture of learning.

If you seek a career in this crazy world you need lots of time free to get yourselves up to speed. Those on the dole or supported by their parents are laughing, many people start this way; they have all the time in the world and often work at night and sleep in the day - a great way to work as a creative as night brings an extra dimension to composition. If you are a younger and your are living from home you’re in a great position. Forget girlfriends, forget social life, just learn your craft. There is plenty of time for the rest later once you have got yourself trained up. Obviously, If you are holding down a full time job and have family responsibilities you can pretty much forget it - it’s likely you won’t have enough time to fill your brain with all of the solutions to the creative possibilities that emerge in your head.

Accept your circumstances, be realistic. You can still learn stuff if you do have responsibilities but it will take longer - someone else will be learning more than you. But here’s the great thing; you might have more of a creative talent than them… all the learning and all the production techniques in the world won’t give you the raw creative talent that the exceptional people out there have.

In my experience only 20% of the people i’ve met over the years show this promise.

What do you want from music? To leave your job? Forget it if you don’t want to consider gigging weekly or if you don’t want to make incredibly successful commercial music or if you don’t have the contacts to get your music placed in TV/Films. If all you want is the ‘enjoyment’ of being creative then that’s great, it’s a very realistic approach. Better to have that state of mind and appreciate any random good things that come from it.

Sonic Academy is a good place for learning and shared experiences so make the most of it BUT seek more from elsewhere - doesn’t have to be another similar provider, just absorb as much from as many as possible. Stop chasing the latest sound from the latest producer and get learning the foundations (Jamie NYC is on point on this subject). Stop looking for shortcuts as they won’t help you in the long run. What’s the point in copying Skrillex parrot style? By the time someone’s sussed how to do what he does he’s moved onto something else. Most tunes that come out have taken a while to come out. One project I worked on for a semi-commercial artist was written over a year ago and is in the shops now!

Good stuff Dom - I honestly think that you just have to get the head down too.

Its a 110% 24/7/365 driven passion - equal parts science, and alchemy. Its interesting the divide beween those looking to parrot & those looking for techniques.

I think thats what sets the background here - theres a portion of folks here starting off on the journey, looking for the map, whereas the rest of us are looking to find out how the map was made. I think thats whats fustrating for most of us.

Probably not the best analagy - but I’m sure you know what I mean :slight_smile:

Anyway - good points man. Expect David Icke to quote you on that somewhere else :wink:

[quote]ICN (27/08/2011)[hr][quote]lattetown (27/08/2011)[hr]Dude, telling someone to stick to caveman house ain’t exactly an example of tolerance free speech…I guess humor isn’t something you’re into :rolleyes:[/quote]

Put your glasses back on Joe90 & get your own joke - I guess irony isnt something you’re into :doze: :P[/quote]

blah, blah… yawn

[quote]lattetown (28/08/2011)[hr][quote]ICN (27/08/2011)[hr][quote]lattetown (27/08/2011)[hr]Dude, telling someone to stick to caveman house ain’t exactly an example of tolerance free speech…I guess humor isn’t something you’re into :rolleyes:[/quote]

Put your glasses back on Joe90 & get your own joke - I guess irony isnt something you’re into :doze: :P[/quote]

blah, blah… yawn[/quote]

ha hah ahaha hahah

Joe

ha aha haa aha

flipping

hahahahahahaha

90!

Dead ringer.

One of my fav tunes when i was a nipper

[hr]

Still is mine - Der ner nerner x INFINITY!

Love it.

I never liked the show - always wanted to punch Joe in the mouth - arrogrant rich little puppet :slight_smile:

Drum and Bass before Drum and Bass

Now UFO was a class show :slight_smile:

Cool your jets folks personally insulting other members is ban material.

I’m not joking here:

Phil - Can you do a tech tip on how to get that bubbly “woo-woo-woo-woo” sound fx synth noise @ the start of the Joe90 theme? :slight_smile: