Spider Monkey

Hi guys,

I’ve been with Sonic Academy for about 5mths now and up until then I didn’t have a clue about production. I’ve recently completed my first track! Well, when I say completed I mean that all the components are there, but I would love some feedback from a fresh pair of ears if possible! :smiley:

I produced it on Ableton using Sylenth and it was done through my headphones (I’m awaiting a delivery of some krk rp5’s). I have just listened to it through my decks and I think that it all sounds too central and dont know how to give it the space it needs, but see what you think of it and please like I said before feel free to comment… Although be gentle/constructive as it’s my first ever track that I’ve put together and I don’t wanna be scared off producing! :wink:

Free large file hosting. Send big files the easy way!

Cheers guys and girls

Carl

Hey Carl

Do you have a soundcloud account? You can sign up free and upload your songs there so people can listen to them through the player. Not too many are going to want to download random files mate.

cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have now created a soundcloud account and uploaded it. I would appreciate your feedback if you’ve got time to listen to it? :slight_smile:

How do I get the soundcloud to show on the replies like yours Jon?

Check the top-ish of the forum screen. Look for “Control Panel”, click on that then “Edit Signature”. That open panel window is where you need to paste the thing that you want to have appear at the bottom of each of your posts.

In this case, you want the Soundcloud stem to appear right? So, on your Soundcloud account, for the track itself there’s a button on the track that says “Share”, click on that then copy the text in the “Embed Code” window. Paste that text into the Panel I mention in the first paragraph (Edit Signature).

Job done.

Woo hoo! Legend, thanks Jon!

I’ve had a quick listen and posted a comment up on soundcloud.

It’s going the right way I think but for the patch you’ve used on the lead. It seems really out of place in the rest of the track. I’d swap it out for something else or maybe, if you’re loving it, then filter it and add lots of reverb to make it sit further back into the mix. It’s way too prominent right now. Personally I’d swap it for something else entirely though.

Thanks for the feedback Jon. I was trying to go for a “flat eric” style bassline. Do you think that it would sound better if I transposed it or do you think it would be best to start from scratch and if so what tips could you give me to not make the same mistake again?

Okay so I’ve taken on board what you suggested Jon and went for a less “offensive” patch. I’ve also tried adding more variation between the different sections of the tune, panned parts left and right and added a new bass part for after the final breakdown.

It’d be great to hear your thoughts on the changes that I’ve made and from anyone else on the forum who has the time to comment.

quirky little track :slight_smile:

Thanks dude, I really appreciate the comment! :smiley:

Is it for the first version or the updated version of the track you like and is there anything that I could improve on that you could advise me with?

Sorry for all the questions but I’m stuck in limbo until I know what I’m doing right/wrong…

Sounds good for your first one.  I dug it…:cool:

hey man i dont think youre doing anything wrong youre learning and even when youve got more experience and knowlegde you’ll still write stuff thats good and not so good, imo each track is a custom job and either you like it and people like or they dont or a combination of the two, for a first track you did ace, just keep writing and learning it will all start to fall into place the more you do… :slight_smile: dont dwell, get on with the next project it might be better or worse but i’m sure you’ll learn something new from the experience :slight_smile:

Thanks man! :slight_smile:

[quote]ekko (02/08/2011)[hr]hey man i dont think youre doing anything wrong youre learning and even when youve got more experience and knowlegde you’ll still write stuff thats good and not so good, imo each track is a custom job and either you like it and people like or they dont or a combination of the two, for a first track you did ace, just keep writing and learning it will all start to fall into place the more you do… :slight_smile: dont dwell, get on with the next project it might be better or worse but i’m sure you’ll learn something new from the experience :)[/quote]

Cheers Ekko… I used to think that tunes were made using only samples but now im beginning to realise that the rabbit hole goes much deeper and it’s more about using effects and automation to manipulate the samples into something completely unique! I’m definitely enjoying my journey though and will be opting for the red pill! (shameful use of the matrix there) lol :cool:

Cool Track man. Its got a nice groove the kick sounds good and I also like the bass I also like the stab synth at the begining. The different parts u have got going on with mains synths are cool aswell and quite catchy but personally after not to long I found them quite repetive changing up the arrangment might help this. U dont want to overdo a good thing. Also I like what u were going for with the vocal samples but I think the main spider monkey one needs to be tweaked in the arrangement and mix. In parts it sounds really of time when it comes in, also the gated vocal near the end sounds more like something to build a track up because to me it sort of sounded like another track was being mixed in a dj set. But really good first track and after only 5months. I’ve just completed what I consider to be my first track and I’ve been trying to produce for 2yrs :w00t:

Please comment on my track if u get the chance cheers mate

no worries dude, yeah, my advise is try something new each new track while cementing the tried and tested stuff that seems to work, wont always get results but atleast you’ll know what not to do :stuck_out_tongue:

Felt like bopping down the road with this one! :stuck_out_tongue:

Great track!

[quote]CtrlAltDel (03/08/2011)[hr]Cool Track man. Its got a nice groove the kick sounds good and I also like the bass I also like the stab synth at the begining. The different parts u have got going on with mains synths are cool aswell and quite catchy but personally after not to long I found them quite repetive changing up the arrangment might help this. U dont want to overdo a good thing. Also I like what u were going for with the vocal samples but I think the main spider monkey one needs to be tweaked in the arrangement and mix. In parts it sounds really of time when it comes in, also the gated vocal near the end sounds more like something to build a track up because to me it sort of sounded like another track was being mixed in a dj set. But really good first track and after only 5months. I’ve just completed what I consider to be my first track and I’ve been trying to produce for 2yrs :w00t:

Please comment on my track if u get the chance cheers mate[/quote]

Thanks for the comments dude, it’s very much appreciated! :smiley: I haven’t mastered the track or anything yet (still trying to get my head around that one) so I can go back over it and see what bits you are referring to.

I added the other gated vocal to give it another element and also to give the DJ something decent to mix their next track into as from experience I find that if there’s some good sounds going on at the end you wanna keep the 2 tunes playing for as long as possible.

I’d love to listen to your track too, but am having trouble locating you as there are 4 ctrlaltdel on soundcloud :crazy:

If you send me the link tho that would be ace and thanks again you’ve made my day!!

[quote]MistroPain (04/08/2011)[hr]Felt like bopping down the road with this one! :stuck_out_tongue:

Great track![/quote]

Thanks man! It means a lot to get feedback from it good or bad, although I prefer the good! :cool: