Starting you own digital music label

[quote]howiegroove (11/2/2009)[hr]So you’re saying that you would be able to book David Guetta… the third rated dj in DJ Magazine’s top DJ’s list for $5,000? How is that diluted? Especially when DJ’s like Tiesto can EASILY make over 20,000 Euros per night. Prove me wrong. PLEASE![/quote]

Ya david guetta NOW could charge more due to his chart releases and flukey top 100 DJ chart.

But a couple of years ago, no way.

[quote]howiegroove (11/2/2009)[hr][quote]roben (11/2/2009)[hr]Howie, your figures mate are quite deluded. We’ve booked massive big name artists for remixes and also club gigs at a lot lower figures than you’re quoting.[/quote]

How big were the names? Specify what they did and a roundabout on what they were paid for remixing. Who were the names you booked to DJ? What was their quote? For the remix, were they washed up when the did the remix or were they still pumping out chart toppers?

[/quote]

I’m not here to score points or prove people wrong, i’m just going from my own experiences and knowledge dude, chillax

I don’t really want to be mentioning names but if it really helps you then sure i’ll name a small few:

Stonebridge, Sandy Rivera, Freemasons, Michael Grey, etc.

[quote]jon_fisher (11/2/2009)[hr]

who have you booked roben. i don’t think these figures are that far off, look at deadmau5 he sold 30000 copies of not exactly and has been a constantly big seller on beat port. from what i’ve read you need to be shifting over 1000 copies to make beatports top 700 (was in dj tech mag)[/quote]

You’re right, last year Deadmau5 was charging £16k apparently (although this was told to me by an industry friend, who i think was told by another person so could have been rumour. However thinking about how much they were charging at the door and knowing the capacity of the club, they’d never have raised £10k let alone the whole £16k on door entry alone so…)

[quote]howiegroove (11/2/2009)[hr]Here Roben… I came up with a great idea. I would like you to book David Guetta. Book him for a Friday or Saturday night for at least a 60 minute set. There will have to be at least a $20USD entrance fee for the club night. If you can get him for under $5000USD, I will pay for it out of my own pocket. Otherwise, you have to fork out the cash… Deal?[/quote]

Howie you can’t keep using David G for this discussion as he’s the exception, i fully agree he will be expensive, he is NOW the exception due to his major commercial successes.

[quote]jon_fisher (11/3/2009)[hr][quote]costa093 (11/3/2009)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (11/2/2009)[hr]sorry for some reason my post seemed to edit itself, Beatpot will take 25 to 50% and a record label will take anywhere from 10 to 50% depending on the size of the artist. no big name is going to sign to a label that’s gonna take 50% not when they have a tone of labels to pick from.

unknown artist have to be less picky with who the sign with and you’ll probably get royally screwed on your first few deals.

but if you take for instance that most of the top 100 on beatport own their labels if they are selling 10 to 20k copies even after you take away the commission you are still talking big money especially when you take into consideration that the same track will be on beatport, audiojelly, trackitdown itunes and all the others[/quote]

Just out of curiosity as it wasn’t mentioned in the previous posts, can things such as licensing the records for compilations and mix-cds increase the amount of revenue for the artist, or would all moneys gained from this go to the record label alone? (as they effectively hold the rights to any track in question).[/quote]

any format that your track gets used on will increase the revenue, as already mentioned cd’s will only add pence but tv commercials, radio and film could be great for you.

radio one pay quite well for tracks i’ve been told but obviously not gonna do much with just one radio play, if the radio dj likes your track and airs on almost every show this could rack up nicely over a period of time[/quote]

Yep, publishing and licensing is where the money is at. Not the record sales.

Dude, all I ask is that you back up what you say. I’ve thrown parties, booked DJ’s, I’m working on releasing two tracks on a big label too. Understand that lately it seems like you have been giving out information that is wrong, and I want you to back it up. That’s it.

Everything I say can be backed up and there is plenty that I don’t know as well. When I do not know something, I keep my mouth shut. So yes… I’m calling your BS and I would like you to prove me wrong, that’s all.

If you want to call me out, and say that I am spreading misinformation then I want you to prove me wrong. So far, you have not done that. So unless you can, please do not say that I am giving out bad info.

[quote]roben (11/2/2009)[hr]Howie, your figures mate are quite deluded. We’ve booked massive big name artists for remixes and also club gigs at a lot lower figures than you’re quoting.[/quote]

[quote]roben (11/2/2009)[hr]I’m not here to score points or prove people wrong, i’m just going from my own experiences and knowledge dude, chillax

I don’t really want to be mentioning names but if it really helps you then sure i’ll name a small few:

Stonebridge, Sandy Rivera, Freemasons, Michael Grey, etc.[/quote]

You saying the figures that my friend says are deluded. And those names you mentioned are not “massive big name artists”. Not even close bro. Sorry.

This is what I’m talking about bro. You challenge me and set out for some reason to make me look like I’m an idiot but you cant back up what you say.

someones touched a raw nerve   !:smiley:

Stonebridge, Sandy Rivera, Freemasons, Michael Grey out of these guys i would say the only one even getting close to the level we are talking about is possibly the Freemasons

Michael Grey if its the one im thinking of was big in the 90’s for a short time and has had on and off success a few times in between but he’s not a guy thats constantly top any kind of chart

[quote]egg2 (11/3/2009)[hr]someones touched a raw nerve !:D[/quote]

Just a touch! :smiley:

Stonebridge is probably more famous for his remixes than his own tracks, not that i am knocking him because he is a great producer and is high up but he’s not and never has topped any chart

Egg, I don’t call people out. It’s not my style. But if someone thinks I am spreading misinformation, I would like it to be proven. Like I said before, there is plenty I do not know about, and I like to hear what people say, but I will never come out, in the middle of a forum and call someone out and say “You are wrong. Your friend misinformed you.” without backing it up. So far, Roben has not been able to do this.

hey guys maybe we could take this to the user council before it gets personal ive set up a topic starter:)

This is ridiculas, ‘because your friend told you so’ is your only form of ‘proof’, so no matter what anyone else on here says, you think they MUST be wrong ??

I’m not out for an argument and quite frankly don’t really care if anyone believes what I’ve said.

Look, you believe what you believe, I believe what I believe, everyones happy.

You know what, this thread has really pssed me off. costa093 made a post and wanted some thoughts back, I give him my advice from my personal experience and all I get is Howie telling me that I’m wrong and that i need to ‘back up’ my claims? Seriously mate, what the fck is up with that? Why should i? Just because i’m still learning to produce and my skills are amature at that, it DOES NOT mean my industry experience is the same!

Howie I would NOT flame you for your knowledge in marketing or what ever it is you do for a living, so i’ve no idea why you’re trying to make out that I know nothing just to prove to yourself and others that YOUR right.

After all, you’re going from what a friend has told you, i’m going from first hand knowledge of what I’ve worked in FULL TIME, FOR A LIVING.

F*ck this thread, i’m out.

Understand though that when you start to spout out nonsense, instead of not saying anything, I now will. Dont ask me for help anymore on AOL anymore either. Its not like you take advise to heart anyway.

i think you’ve both made your points and i think what said is said and we should now just forget about this.

Howard i know you well and you are reasonably chilled guy and im sure this will blow over in a few days.

Roben after reading the thread from start to finish to see how this all fired up, i can really see why and how howard has gotten pissed with you, you’ve basically called howard a lair because he has not got first hand info. i would have got insulted too. maybe you didn’t mean it like that but thats how its came across.

hey guys no need to antagonize this any further

roben’s just expressing what he knows… why are you guys arguing over who knows best anyway we should be adding to our knowledge not putting each other down,I thought that we were all cool with each other!:slight_smile:

[quote]egg2 (11/3/2009)[hr]hey guys no need to antagonize this any further

roben’s justexpressing what he knows… why are you guys arguing over who knows best anyway we should be adding to our knowledge not putting each other down,I thought that we were all cool with each other!:)[/quote]

Hey bro. Here is what I was reacting to…

[quote]roben (11/2/2009)[hr]Howie, your figures mate are quite deluded. We’ve booked massive big name artists for remixes and also club gigs at a lot lower figures than you’re quoting.

I think someone might have told you wrong figures or there must have been a mistake somewhere along the line.

[/quote]

How is that not putting me down? I felt that this was an attack on me and I retaliated. It sucks too, because it came from someone that I have helped out with on tracks that he needed help with. I have been nothing but helpful. So, yeah, I got pissed off. And until I receive an apology, I will continue to be. I have always and will always help anyone that asks for it.

hey man ,roben strikes me as a good guy im sure he didnt mean to sound aggresive with what he said.

At the end of the day be a shame to fall out over a difference of opinion ?:slight_smile:

[quote]roben (11/3/2009)[hr]I give him my advice from my personal experience and all I get is Howie telling me that I’m wrong and that i need to ‘back up’ my claims? [/quote]

Re read the posts Roben. You came after me. I didn’t start with you son. Go in your room and cool off. Maybe when you sober up, and you re read the post, you will see that I was responding to you basically calling me an idiot for giving my opinion and knowledge on the subject.

[quote]egg2 (11/3/2009)[hr]hey man ,roben strikes me as a good guy im sure he didnt mean to sound aggresive with what he said.

At the end of the day be a shame to fall out over a difference of opinion ?:)[/quote]

I personally think there are a lot of good guys on this forum but at the same time we can all be very opinionated (spelling) i’m the first to put my hands upto that, i agree its a shame for people to fall out over something that should really just be a collection of views but we have to expect these things from time to time

Handbags at dawn.:smiley: