The best/most recent thing you've Learned?

What have you learned Guys?

Whats recently been sh!t fkn cool that y’ve found out?

I’ve been looking back at some of the older Sonic Vids: 

I’ve done Parallel Compression before - but never been happy with it. I watched how they did it & I’ll tell ya, its so much better with the right settings!

Normally I do a lot of Wet/Dry on my comps… but the Parallel sound really gives the boost that you want.

Be interested to hear what you guys are working on at the moment in regards to figuring out stuff - or something that has made you go… AHH - Thats how you do it!

Uhm, for me it’s probably focusing on drum sounds. You can have the best synth line in the world but this is dance music and it’s all about the rhythm and groove. Applying groove to drum sounds can really bring stuff to life.

Also one thing I’ve noticed they haven’t really mentioned in the SA videos that I’ve watched but have seen in live sets from actual artists is the change of something every bar to keep it interesting. Like, you can’t just have the same drum loop going on, you need the hihats to shuffle every 8bars or 16th etc. Think of your music as blocks, one block that repeats but is the same as the last one but is slightly different at the end or beginning, gives the track an evolving nature.

When you’re building up tracks from scratch, I tend to try and get as many drum loops as I possibly can too, just so when I’m on session view and getting ideas down for my synths etc, I can bring them in whenever I want to give it more drive.

i learned that analogue clipping is good but digital clipping is bad. haha.

I learned how does the universe works, the underlaying basis for existence and got no questions left to be answered… sadly, as soon as I woke up from my dream everything was gone.

Music wise, I learned the harmonic importance of having 7th rather than a lowered octave root note (you can have both :P) to make your chord more interesting and sexier.

i learned to make your life hell. so be ready biotch !! lol

just jocking brotha man .

I learned how to properly sequence Music.

Cool stuff lads… Even Aline (cough :P :)  )

On the face of things, we’re the only people on SA to have learned something - ever! ;)

Hi5! (Even UV :stuck_out_tongue: )

@Saul - Used to use the humanise feature over a whole block of midi occasionally in Logic - just to subtly change velocity & position / length of the notes.

Kinda same thing-ish as you were saying. Like that idea man.

Finding out some of the swedish techno crew used alesis 9090 compressors on their tracks. I have two 9090 comps :D:D

[quote]ICN (30/06/2011)[hr]Cool stuff lads… Even Aline (cough:stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: )

On the face of things, we’re the only people on SA to have learned something - ever!:wink:

Hi5! (Even UV :stuck_out_tongue: )[/quote]

HA HA! sadly it’s probably true! :slight_smile: what’s even worst… I’ve been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to think of something recent I’ve learned and I can’t think of ANYTHING… :doze:

[quote]@Saul - Used to use the humanise feature over a whole block of midi occasionally in Logic - just to subtly change velocity & position / length of the notes.

Kinda same thing-ish as you were saying. Like that idea man.[/quote]

interesting lil technique… have you used this at all?

Of course I fkn have J.HiZ! :P :smiley:

Ages ago now since I last did it… just make sure that you keep the settings low. Think its pretty good on its default settings that come up when you go into it. Used it mainly on hats… or sounds that were repeating every now & then. Listen to it and if its too mental CTRL-Z :wink:

Here what you say about scratching yer head, trying to think :cool:

Would be cool even if people said what was the coolest thing they learned on Sonic Academy. Theres so many vids & things to watch / listen to… its totally possible to gloss over stuff.

Heres a cool thing I found out last night after reading the Ableton Manual.

I’m moving over from Logic at the moment & trying to figure out how I can do the same things in Live.

This might help if you dont know how to do it.

Importing Channels between projects. Maybe everyone knows it, but its new to me :cool:

Its cool… cos you can import the audio, midi, instruments & fx.

You cant do it with the send channels… but if you group the fx, you can save it in your project folder & then drag that in. 

Handy as fk if you’ve got some cool sh!t in one track that you need to salvage for a better idea!! :smiley:

<EMBED height=349 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=- YouTube allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true”>

good video brother. keep it up

Hey Aline - GOOD ****!! BUT I USE CUBASE !!! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Cheers Man! :slight_smile:

[quote]ICN (03/07/2011)[hr]Hey Aline - GOOD ****!! BUT I USE CUBASE !!! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Cheers Man! :)[/quote]

heheh . Go ICN!!! BTW man i was checking more of your videos. and i like the tracks you have been working . hopefully you post the full version of your track sometime soon. :slight_smile:

Me too! :w00t:

Nice loop geez! :wink:

Cant claim credit for the drums on that last one Mussi! - Loop I’m afraid.

[quote]ICN (05/07/2011)[hr]Cant claim credit for the drums on that last one Mussi! - Loop I’m afraid.[/quote]

Ah you should of said “it took me like 5 minutes”

:stuck_out_tongue:

I am a cnut - but I’m an honest cnut :slight_smile:

Learned about root movement in chord progressions usually root movement of Fourths thirds and Seconds could be for example a falling fourth or rising fourth so G to Dm G to C this creates a more fluid progression…

Scoop out the Mids to add clarity (knew about his but never did it, really cleans sounds up)

Layering a bass-line into simpler (duplicate the bass) detune them against each other to make a fatter bass-line :smiley:

Also when layering a bass-line or a sound that will be side chained separate the bands or layer the sounds by low/mids/high or duplicate the sound pitch it up lower the volume add a compressor and side chain each layer separately so that the high mids wont be as side chained