The best/most recent thing you've Learned?

[quote]Subject 1 (06/07/2011)[hr]Learned about root movement in chord progressions usually root movement of Fourths thirds and Seconds could be for example a falling fourth or rising fourth so G to Dm G to C this creates a more fluid progression…

Scoop out the Mids to add clarity (knew about his but never did it, really cleans sounds up)

Layering a bass-line into simpler (duplicate the bass) detune them against each other to make a fatter bass-line :smiley:

Also when layering a bass-line or a sound that will be side chained separate the bands or layer the sounds by low/mids/high or duplicate the sound pitch it up lower the volume add a compressor and side chain each layer separately so that the high mids wont be as side chained[/quote]

good stuff subject. side-chaining the different spectrums of your bass differently is clutch. I do this constantly… the other trick to layering your bass to low/mids/highs is to mess with the stereo field. keep your LOW (mono) using utility… keep your mid stereo and put a spread on the HIGHs to make the bass nice and wide in the speakers. gives it a full feel through left + right while your sub/bass is still processed correctly for the club. just gotta find the pockets for the frequencies in the sound you created. im pretty sure u already knew that… lol but others might not!

[quote]ICN (01/07/2011)[hr]Heres a cool thing I found out last night after reading the Ableton Manual.

I’m moving over from Logic at the moment & tryingto figure out how I can do the same things in Live.

This might help if you dont know how to do it.

Importing Channels between projects. Maybe everyone knows it, but its new to me :cool:

Its cool… cos you can import the audio, midi, instruments & fx.

You cant do it with the send channels… but if you group the fx, you can save it in yourproject folder & then drag that in.

Handy as fk if you’ve got some cool sh!t in one track that you need to salvage for a better idea!! :D[/quote]

awesome video man! I’ve been battling with deciding if I should do the same move from logic to ableton as well. Out of curiousity, what’s causing you to do so?

Mainly cos it sounds dirtier Mate.

Dunno what it is - but there is something almost too clean about the way Logic sounds.

Live sounds like an old sampler compared to Logic - to me… which is what I want. Theres a certain grit / vibe / energy about it that Logic lacks. Without trying to do the whole Logic / Live audio quality debate - I notice a difference AND I like it. Logic is too sterile. Theres a bit of character to what I hear in Live. Thats just me.

Its not good changing again… its fkn ridiculous tbh… but I’ve found that recently I’m doing stuff in live, then spending ages trying to get the same sound in logic.

Or - I’m rewiring stuff into Logic & hooking up midi controllers & trying to get Logic more like live in that way. Why go to all that bother? If you cant beat 'em, join 'em.

Gonna give Live another try & see what happens.

i feel you man… and i totally get what youre saying about the sound differences. maybe Logic is the reason why I can never make good electro house haha :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL - A bad workman always blames his tools, eh? :wink: :hehe:

I dunno… it just sounds more like the techno records that I have. You seem to have to add more to logic to get that grit. Why fight it? :hehe:

[quote]J.HiZ (06/07/2011)[hr]i feel you man… and i totally get what youre saying about the sound differences. maybe Logic is the reason why I can never make good electro house haha :P[/quote]

lol J.HiZ i think the same things sometimes… like maby i should be using Cubase more often cause guys like Lazy Rich, Dirty Loud, Felguk and Darth + Vader all use it… or whatever. then i come to the realization that its just ***** hard as hell to make a GREAT electro song.

Wolfgang Gartner uses ableton :wink:

what im learning more + more… is its about mixing, quality sounds… but also top notch 3rd party plugins like fab filters or sugarbytes… ableton is just the sequencer. same with the rest of them. ableton is missing a couple really cool things compared to logic or cubase (like a graphic equalizer…) … but its also way easier to do things compared to Logic or cubase. like get ideas down, automation, warping audio… blah blah blah. once you fill ur vst library up with stuff that the pros are using… it makes life a whole lot sweeter in ableton. #justsayin

[quote]UnitedVision (06/07/2011)[hr][quote]lol J.HiZ i think the same things sometimes… like maby i should be using Cubase more often cause guys like Lazy Rich, Dirty Loud, Felguk and Darth + Vader all use it… or whatever. then i come to the realization that its just ***** hard as hell to make a GREAT electro song.

[/quote]

I tell myself the same thing… haha! Ableton is super easy to get your ideas down and just start going. I’ve thought about doing the whole bounce to audio but for reason I never take the time to do it because I’m so random with my production processes… I’m talking STRAIGHT ADD. HAHA!

[quote]good stuff subject. side-chaining the different spectrums of your bass differently is clutch. I do this constantly… the other trick to layering your bass to low/mids/highs is to mess with the stereo field. keep your LOW (mono) using utility… keep your mid stereo and put a spread on the HIGHs to make the bass nice and wide in the speakers. gives it a full feel through left + right while your sub/bass is still processed correctly for the club. just gotta find the pockets for the frequencies in the sound you created. im pretty sure u already knew that… lol but others might not![/quote]

Yeah i have built a **** load of racks for bass layering and spectrum seperation i dont like to distort my lows so i separate the natural lows from the sound as those can get lost when distorting…i also do this with my kicks i add subtle distortion to certain areas of the of the kicks spectrum then Waves RBass + EQ + Compress + Shack audio Transient shaper

I’ve learned that it’s way easier and better for me to arrange my drums in arrangement and not in a drum rack or something. Seems pretty simple but i was used to drum rack so now i’m just making some drum loops to use in my productions. Changed my workflow to better than i expected.

yeah man. if ur making a drum loop for a track. the only thing i do in session view anymore is make a couple bar clips of a 4/4 kick and a snare clip of .2 .4. thats it. its easier to come up with a cool loop if you visually look at where things are hitting in arrangement view. just makes it more fun to work like that.

[quote]bogdi47 (07/07/2011)[hr]I’ve learned that it’s way easier and better for me to arrange my drums in arrangement and not in a drum rack or something. Seems pretty simple but i was used to drum rack so now i’m just making some drum loops to use in my productions. Changed my workflow to better than i expected.[/quote]

Coooo, something that I’ll try :cool:

I just recently discovered some basic mastering techniques with Waves Plugins that have helped my mixes sound FAT. I have used the following Master signal chain on my last three tracks:

Waves SSL Comp (attack:30 Ratio 2:1 Threshold -7)

Waves L3 LL Multi (load the Lean and Mean profile)

Waves L3 LL Ultra (load the Lean and Mean profile)

Bring down the threshold on bother limiters until you have a constant hit on the meter and BOOM your tracks are loud and clean.

Some really interesting stuff in here so far Guys!  :cool:

Keep 'em comin!

the waves plugin sweet is the ****.

Guys - what are your go to -db levels in Live for Drums / Sub-bass / Upper bass?

In Logic, I’d always go -6 kick and maybe -8 or -10 for the bass.

Just wondering what the usual goalposts are in live, given the overall -12db thing.

EDIT: And do you have your master @ -12db?

Not to feed orangutangs bananas … ever heard the saying go bananas … fcuk me nearly had my hand ripped off !!:smiley:

Also ***** unreal heat !!

LOL

You’re obviously having a good time then Mate :smiley:

I really enjoyed Jamies explanation of the vintage warmer that was a real eye opener for me. Its nice to be able to know what your doing when your doing it lol…

I learned that Issac Newton is a complete d!ck.

To many damn formulas and stuff.

Slowly losing my mind…and gone…

Interesting looking site here… Havent had time to go through it fully yet, but looks cool:

http://socialsounddesign.com/

This blog looks like its worth keeping an eye on too:

http://sound-sculpting.blogspot.com/