The best/most recent thing you've Learned?

[quote]Djreidiculous (08/07/2011)[hr]I just recently discovered some basic mastering techniques with Waves Plugins that have helped my mixes sound FAT. I have used the following Master signal chain on my last three tracks:

Waves SSL Comp (attack:30 Ratio 2:1 Threshold -7)

Waves L3 LL Multi (load the Lean and Mean profile)

Waves L3 LL Ultra (load the Lean and Mean profile)

Bring down the threshold on bother limiters until you have a constant hit on the meter and BOOM your tracks are loud and clean.

www.soundcloud.com/djreidiculous[/quote]

+1 for this… I’m gonna have to try this out… thanks man

Acoustics, bass trap construction and building a brick and mortar studio, great fun :slight_smile:

Mark

The best thing I learnt recently is the notes on the keyboard. I kid you not. I put stickers on each key with its letter and octave. It’s helped me loads and I recommend it if you are a bit of a musical dunce like me.

It may be obvious but this comes from the person who almost never complete the track :slight_smile:

I learnt that the more tracks I create (so far mostly remix competitions with deadlines set “work” for me) , the more creative I am and the better I am in creating nice arrangements. It’s really truth that practice makes master, even if it comes to creating music which suppose to reflect our soul :slight_smile: I mean, it still reflect but some practice is really helpful :slight_smile:

I learned that your ears sometimes play tricks on ya

Like - “Aline - you are the best in bed…” :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :hehe: :cool:

[quote]ICN (23/08/2011)[hr]Like - “Aline - you are the best in bed…” :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :hehe: :cool:[/quote]

burrrrrrn! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Grzegorz (22/08/2011)[hr]It may be obvious but this comes from the person who almost never complete the track :slight_smile:

I learnt that the more tracks I create (so far mostly remix competitions with deadlines set “work” for me) , the more creative I am and the better I am in creating nice arrangements. It’s really truth that practice makes master, even if it comes to creating music which suppose to reflect our soul :slight_smile: I mean, it still reflect but some practice is really helpful :)[/quote]

its not obvious to most people. I’ve been saying this for months now on here…

i can’t stress this enough.

practice, practice and practice some more. then when your thinkin your getting good…

practice more.

every time I finish a track. I get better. its that simple. Eventually you do it enough… and you wake up 1 day and realize that your much closer to the “pro” level that you wanted to be. still have a while to go obviously… but nobody is gunna hand you **** in this business and the guys at the top didnt get there from NOT practicing.

i enjoyed Jamie’s video for making a kick with operator… got some nice ideas and inspiration from it :slight_smile:

[quote]UnitedVision (24/08/2011)[hr][quote]Grzegorz (22/08/2011)[hr]It may be obvious but this comes from the person who almost never complete the track :slight_smile:

I learnt that the more tracks I create (so far mostly remix competitions with deadlines set “work” for me) , the more creative I am and the better I am in creating nice arrangements. It’s really truth that practice makes master, even if it comes to creating music which suppose to reflect our soul :slight_smile: I mean, it still reflect but some practice is really helpful :)[/quote]

its not obvious to most people. I’ve been saying this for months now on here…

i can’t stress this enough.

practice, practice and practice some more. then when your thinkin your getting good…

practice more.

every time I finish a track. I get better. its that simple. Eventually you do it enough… and you wake up 1 day and realize that your much closer to the “pro” level that you wanted to be. still have a while to go obviously… but nobody is gunna hand you **** in this business and the guys at the top didnt get there from NOT practicing.

[/quote]

Your delusional lol

No your right but I would say practice. Knock one out. Practise. Knock out out. and so on:hehe:

M/S eqing techniques while mastering - yummy :slight_smile:

[quote]soundmagus (03/09/2011)[hr]M/S eqing techniques while mastering - yummy :)[/quote]

Yeah i like to group certain elements in frequency ranges and do the Mid/Side eq within the groups

I learned that even do , u might know how to process like a pro . still doesn’t make you great Producer.

making great Music comes first before processing.

[quote]alinenunez (04/09/2011)[hr]I learned that even do , u might know how to process like a pro . still doesn’t make you great Producer.

making great Music comes first before processing.

[/quote]

Very true :cool:

After selling just about every plugin and DAW I own I realise I don’t miss them one bit.

[quote]wickedged (05/09/2011)[hr]After selling just about every plugin and DAW I own I realise I don’t miss them one bit.[/quote]

What have you got left, Studio One and Maschine - any more?

[quote]dom_moulton (22/08/2011)[hr]The best thing I learnt recently is the notes on the keyboard. I kid you not. I put stickers on each key with its letter and octave. It’s helped me loads and I recommend it if you are a bit of a musical dunce like me.[/quote]

Similarly, I pick a scale that my tune will play in then put a coloured sticker on the keys on the keyboard that can be played together in that scale. For example, if I pick to play in the key of D, a coloured sticker would go on all D, E, F♯, G, A, B, and C♯’s. This helps me as I can’t play keyboard but I can find a sequence on notes that works well together.

[quote]TheAnt (06/09/2011)[hr][quote]wickedged (05/09/2011)[hr]After selling just about every plugin and DAW I own I realise I don’t miss them one bit.[/quote]

What have you got left, Studio One and Maschine - any more?[/quote]

I’ve also got DCAM synth squad left now, Izotope’s Ozone and Alloy. I’ve also got Vintagewarmer 2 and OldTimer ME but am thinking of selling these soon too.

I dont have quite big experience with vocals. I needed to add ready vocals to some tune which was pretty crowdy. When I was equing the lead part i wasnt satisfied with the effect at all - I mean, sure the vocal was more recognized now but that shiny, nice lead went to the background too much.

It was the first time when I thought, how about M/S Equing ? And yea, I switched EQ from Stereo to M/S mode, cut some frequencies from MID (to make a space for vocal) but leave (or even boost) some Side Frequencies and the result was much better. The lead still was strong, noticeable but at the same time, vocal was audible too…

It’s funny because I knew about M/S Equing for a long long time but never actually used it and now when I finally used it for the first time, I was asking myself: what took me so long to discover it :smiley:

Any chance this thread could be made into a sticky?