Thinking of switch from Cubase 5 to Ableton

Hi i have been using Cubase since I start to produce 3-4 years ago. I´m not that skilled the tutorials on this forum have helped me a lot and it´s the last months that I have started to make some progress in my music work (thanks to Sonic) I use 2-3 Synth plug-ins on my Cubase and that´s it.

Regardless of the fact that i´m used to work in Cubase (3-4 years) i still think it´s a bit tricky long ways to get to the “points” When i see the Tutorials on this site made in Ableton it seams much easier and the functions seams to be much more adapted towards electronic music and more spot on (not the long way around).

So my question: Are my observations accurate, should i switch from Cubase to Ableton and will that make my electronic music production more simple (easier)??

Thanks out there!! :slight_smile:

//Sweden

Simple, just use both!

No that´s not simple, not for the moment anyway.

Hey,

By the sounds of things after the 3 years practice and the SA tips and tricks - you are starting to make music you think is sounding nice.

A DAW is just a tool. They all basically do the same thing. Moving from Cubase to Ableton will not automatically make you write better tunes. What it will initially do is present you with a whole new set of things to learn ( keyboard shortcuts, etc. etc.); new learning curves left right and centre.

Cubase excels at somethings like: in-depth midi commands, cpu management, the programability of the macros and the way it sums the channels to the master bus (it arguably sounds better), and some of it’s newer plugins like Loopmasher & Variaudio are nice additions; while Ableton excels at it’s warping capabilities (hands down brilliant), session/arrangement views, being loop based, and it’s incredibly creative built in plugins.

They are both tools. If you preservere with Cubase you’ll still get there. If you move to Ableton it’ll cost you a few hundred $$$, cost you a few weeks/months of learning and you’ll eventually get somewhere similar.

Having said that…I was where you were at a few years ago. Just starting to put together something that sounded ok. Hungry to get better. I made the move from Cubase to Ableton and I don’t regret it for a second. Ableton is very creative and for me FUN to use. I write my tracks in Ableton and finish them in Cubase (when it is stable for me that is… but that is another thread… ):cool:

The only thing that is going to make you better is to practice.:slight_smile:

Your gonna get loads of answers from internet diplomates telling you the benefits of both DAW’s, just like the one above.

But that doesn’t help really does it? Everyone Know’s they both Top DAW’s.

So to answer you question, in terms of simplicity Ableton win’s. Hand’s down. Its renowned for its ability to get its users making beats within minutes.

Also, as you’ve seen tutorial vid’s on Ableton and already know you way round a DAW, your gonna pick it very quicky.

So I’d say switch mate if simplicity is what you after.

Thanks for your answer, i gave me a lot to think of. But if I interpret you right there is´t that much to gain by switching DAW so you suggest that i should stick with Cubase and just keep on practising! Right? :slight_smile:

Ok another answer, thank´s

And yes it´s simplicity am after, I study law the whole day so I´m hunting hours and minutes for my studio time, so i want it to be easy.

I´´ll take the trail now:)

My answer above was being very diplomatic. Thanks for the review.

Just telling it how it is.

As I said b4. I made the move from Cubase to Ableton to start a track off and get the creative juices going and I haven’t looked back.

Seeing you are studying law you should eventually have the coin to cover another DAW. :wink:

Get into Ableton. It’s brilliant. All the best.

[quote]rmallam (14/09/2010)[hr]My answer above was being very diplomatic. Thanks for the review.

Just telling it how it is.

[/quote]

lol, its alright pal anytime :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]moonbuggy909 (14/09/2010)[hr]Simple, just use both!

[/quote]

This

i use both.

i started on cubase, but i found doing that I was having trouble doing some simple things.

everything just seemed to take forever when working on a track.

I made the ableton addition to my studio and i couldnt be happier. it makes everything easier.

automation, beatmaking, great instruments & plugins. simply fantastic.

however, I have been rewiring ableton into cubase because the mixer in cubase blows away the ableton mixer.

I question anyone that thinks Cubase is a top DAW. I also started on Cubase and i learnt the ins and outs of it but i have come to the conclusion that its the biggest pile of **** ever. Everything you do in Cubase you can do in ableton the only difference is in Ableton its quick fast and easy and in Cubase you have to spend most of your time sorting all your different channels and FX and VST’s and routing and just loads of nonsense that takes your attention away from the important aspects of producing like being creative. Ableton is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Cubase in every way. Also the Cubase user bass is dropping and Steinberg are ting themselves. But look at it logically and if this is the only reason why you would change to ableton i think its a good one, i mean look say you want to make a midi track with some delay and reverb on it and a synth. In cubase sorting this could take about 10 minutes with all the routing, and sorting folders and channels and all that bull, in ableton this process takes 10 seconds.

UUUUrghhh Cubase gets me so mad, just saying it makes me wana throw up…

I´m really glad for u out there helping me sorting things out. I will really give ableton a shot now, because i have got just that feeling that every simple things takes forever and as said in a previous reply it takes focus from creativity.

Hope this will do it for me.

Thank´ s again! :slight_smile:

Trust me mate it will take some getting used to and get you out of old bad cubase habbits but it will be like a whole new better producing life will open for you.

I trust u mate:)

[quote]jjdejong0 (14/09/2010)[hr]I question anyone that thinks Cubase is a top DAW[/quote]

question away.sound is top notch,the best midi implementation for my hardware out of any daw. ableton will always need to be rewired to protools,cubase,logic,etc when it comes time to record and mix your stems.people can dislike my answer but its not opinion based.

[quote]UnitedVision (14/09/2010)[hr]i use both.

cubase, everything just seemed to take forever when working on a track.

I made the ableton addition to my studio and i couldnt be happier. it makes everything easier.

automation, beatmaking, great instruments & plugins. simply fantastic.

however, I have been rewiring ableton into cubase [/quote]

didnt see this post before.i cant recommend going this route or ableton paired with logic(if youre not using any hardware synths) enough.

I do disagree with you totally Bobby why does ableton need to be rewired when it comes to recording and mixing stems? I do all my mixing inside Ableton never really noticed a dip in quality simply because it’s being processed through ableton and using abletons code… This includes recording vocals and analogue gear…

[quote]jjdejong0 (14/09/2010)[hr]I do disagree with you totally Bobby why does ableton need to be rewired when it comes to recording and mixing stems? I do all my mixing inside cubase never really noticed a dip in quality simply because it’s being processed through ableton and using abletons code… This includes recording vocals and analogue gear…[/quote]

okay