This is for Phil

Armin van Buuren - Universal Religion Chapter 5: Susana - Home (Daniel Kandi Retrofit Remix) - YouTube

I bought the very recent Universal Religion album and when I got to this track I went WTF when i realized coast 2 coast wasn’t mentioned at all and susana was mentioned as the artist, I am sure you already know about this phil but I just wanted to make sure and to possibly see why your name isn’t on the album

Thats hectic! This business is a ***** sham.

breach of copyright?? take em down phil! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]phil johnston (09/10/2011)[hr]Thats hectic! This business is a ***** sham.[/quote]

wow that really sucks man, hope i haven’t ruined your day :(, gl with getting it resolved

Unfortunatly the record evil company owns all the rights… Nothing i can do. Tune rape!

Still must feel good to know that “Home” still sounds really good on current Armin sets!!!

Universal Religion 5 from what little I’ve heard sounds really good!!

Shogun “Space Odyssey”(Original Mix) WOW!!:w00t:

[quote]willidaniel (10/10/2011)[hr]Still must feel good to know that “Home” still sounds really good on current Armin sets!!!

Shogun “Space Odyssey”(Original Mix) WOW!!:w00t:[/quote]

It does not feel good to know that one of the best things ive ever done is being covered and I have no say in it or will reap any of the rewards.

[quote]phil johnston (10/10/2011)[hr][quote]willidaniel (10/10/2011)[hr]Still must feel good to know that “Home” still sounds really good on current Armin sets!!!

It does not feel good to know that one of the best things ive ever done is being covered and I have no say in it or will reap any of the rewards.[/quote]

Sorry Phil!!!..I see your point:(

[quote]phil johnston (10/10/2011)[hr][quote]willidaniel (10/10/2011)[hr]Still must feel good to know that “Home” still sounds really good on current Armin sets!!!

It does not feel good to know that one of the best things ive ever done is being covered and I have no say in it or will reap any of the rewards.[/quote]

That really sucks man but I personally don’t really understand how this stuff works. I read an article about it on this site that supposedly Ferry Corsten (my fav artist) wrote saying that labels take rights to do what they want with a song but I don’t understand how a song under your name can be put under somebody elses name (ex: Susana) or how you lost all your rights because I know that they allowed to sell the song to whoever they want and do what they want with it but wouldn’t your name and property rights of the song as your own always be there?

C*nts.

And people on the comments are praising Armin and Daniel Kandi for it… when it’s actually YOUR track! What pricks, well i’ve put them right with a comment :wink:

Just a thought Phil, is the deal you signed on this giving up your rights, something that could have been avoided with hindsight and experience?

If so, it might be a good idea to give some pointers to the forum on what to avoid in deals. Benefit from your experience and all that.

Yeah it could have definitely have been avoided.

We basically did all the major No Nos when signing contracts.

Dont sign your publishing to the record Label:

If you sign both to the same entity and they decide they want to ruin you you have no means of generating money elsewhere.

Its also a lot easier for them to hide income from third parties (compilations) and sync income (TV)

Dont use the Labels Studio:

Labels like for you to be in debt so they can control you with money - We used the labels studio and raked up a ton of recouperables that they would always use as a reason not to have to give us money.

Make sure there is clear fixed terms for the length of any agreements:

This was the nail in our coffin. a clause that was over looked (by a very expensive music lawyer i might add) mean that they could decide what was and what wasnt considered a “single” once we had done 3 single they had X amount of time to then take up the next option which mean them either paying a load of cash or we where free.

Problem was they had the power to decide what constituted a single and they just rejected everything until we where flat broke. We could have theoretically taken them to court on the basis of “restraint of trade” but this would have cost thousands that we didnt have and we couldnt get legal aid.

Account Suspended

They broke us down so much to the point that we just wanted out at any cost and the cost was signing the rights to our tunes. worst decision ever.

We had pretty bad inexperienced local Lawyers at that time as it was all we could afford. We also had no idea how much the track had already generated in income (over 100k) as they had been holding back info (could not have done this if we had a seperate publisher)

All in all it was the most devastating period of my life and the reason why i dont produce or release a lot of stuff for myself.

Losing all the money i can handle its the mental head **** that they did to us and to 4 or 5 other artist on the label that really gets me. destroyed the hopes, dreams and careers of a lot of young artists.

Shameful.

http://www.religionmusic.com/ <---- thats them ****S!!

Wow - shocking stuff.

[quote]TheAnt (10/10/2011)[hr]Wow - shocking stuff.[/quote]

+1

Wow I had no idea how much a label could possibly want to take advantage of an artist.

…still thanks for posting the no Nos to signing a contract.

definitely saving that one!!! :slight_smile:

Just reading this … makes you think about what really goes on in the industry … esp to talented people like yourself Phil… really is cut throat and people out to make money of other people … even in the clubs you see it getting the up and coming Djs to play for free , the way everything is downloaded for free and everything … :frowning: Good to hear your views though… cheers . :slight_smile:

Absolutely. Thanks Phil. That’s all good info.

I think things have changed somewhat… you wouldn’t get the sort of deal we where on - 40 page 5 album bull crap. unless you are a pop star.

Im also not really interested in being famous due to a hate for airports and hotels which is why most of my productions now are lump some and publishing. I can self publish so i know whats happening with the track and i dont have to worry about a label paying (which rarely happened anyway)

The other guy can go out DJing and do well so its a win - win

not that ive been doing much production at all recently trying to keep you all happy!! :wink: which i actually love so YAY!

thanks for sharing it that story with us phill l. i heard that back in the day , Labels used to take advantage of new producers more than nowadays.

Yeah… I don’t think there is the same money floating about so you can only really make money from longevity. Which probably discourages some of the cowboys.

They did that to a Fkn Baby?!

Thats child abuse! :wink: :smiley:

Tough story Phil. Know someone else with a similar story to that actually.

Its a case of once bitten, twice shy now. They’re a real control freak because of it & dont blame them.

Thanks for sharing Man. Karma will get them - dont worry.