VSTi3 problems! Bug?

Hi there…

I found some issues with automating the VSTi3 versions of ANA 2 and Kick 2…

If I try to edit automation points by editing with numeric values (Ableton: rightclick point: Edit value, Studio One: rightclick point, Reaper: rightclick point: Set point value)… I find this behaviour for both plugins:

Ableton and Studio One: rightclicking the point and edit the value shows “real values” (i.e. Hz for frequency…) but no matter what I enter the point jumps to it´s maximum value…
I.e. Editing Cutoff in ANA2 … readout says 481 Hz … I rightclick the point (it tells the correct value) and enter 750 (with Hz or without Hz makes no difference)…
When I now hit “enter” the point jumps to it´s maximum vertical position and the readout says: “20000.00 Hz Hz”
I can edit the points fine by mouse dragging the points but no chance with numeric entering!!

Reaper: In Reaper though the readout for the automation points show the correct real values (apart from Hz Hz) …
If I try to edit them by numerical entering, it doesn´t show real values in the entry box but some decimal values like 0.422 as the readout said 213.30 Hz Hz…
But at least if I change the decimal value it seems to do the correct thing and doesn´t jump to the maximum…

It seems to me as if something wouldn´t be implemented properly and only Reaper is smart enough to recognize this and replaces it with the “VST2” behaviour whilest still working and Ableton and Studio One just ignore the error and fail by trying to execute the entered values by always jumping to the maximum no matter what is entered!!

Can somebody confirm this??

I tried with:
Windows 10 64bit
Studio One V6 (latest build)
Ableton 11.6
Reaper 6.68
ANA 2 v2.0.994
Kick 2 v1.1.5

Not clear to me if you are trying to edit the automation from the DAW automation line points or the plugins UI here.

1st thing : The automation readout and values inside the DAW is DAW depending and will differ between each ones.

i.e : For the Filter 1 Cutoff ANA 2 parameter → a value of 481Hz ( read out from ANA 2 info are top left ) will be 0.49 for the automation point inside Live since values go from 0 to 1, so you’ll never get a direct read out, it’s just a ratio that makes the plugin follow the automation line when playing back.

Double clicking on the knob inside ANA 2 UI resets the parameter to it’s default value, with the VST 3 for V2.0.994 release there’s a known bug ( already addressed in the beta now ) that’s causing a bunch of parameters to reset to the 1st loaded preset “A Beautiful Dread Lead” instead of the default values, so that could be one of your issue here as well. ( There’s another post on the forums about this here ).

Haven’t looked at KICK 2 yet, but except the above mentioned bug, the DAW would also not give you the same value read out I believe.

Yes, this I noticed now as well…

The problem is that the readout differs from what the plugin accepts because you didn´t implement automating with real values…
Both Studio One and Ableton, when you rightclick an automation point in the timeline and enter the numerical editing the DAWs show the readout values as editable automation value for the plugin…

Means with your example in both DAWs when you rightclick an automation point which has a readout of 481Hz they show the 481Hz and not the 0.49!!
How shall a normal user know, that this is just fake and you have to use values between 0-1 from this moment on??

Just Reaper seems to be smart enough to identify that this value is just fake and offers the decimal numbers for editing instead…

Numeric entering of real values for parameters is one of the most important features of the VST3 standard…
Sad to see that your plugins are not supporting this…

But anyway … that´s what it is for the moment… perhaps this will improve some day!

1 Like

Looks this is something the developers should look into at some point yes.

Thanks for highlighting this, I will point them to the thread :sunglasses:

Sounds good!

Thx…

1 Like