What do you want from Sonic Academy?

Right guys, as we all are paying to use this site what would you like to see from SA

I myself would like

A how to sound like hard dance(i.e. BK, technikal or the living legend that is Dom Sweeten)

How to sound like Hard Techno

If there going to have a comp for example on reporting bugs in the site, make it fair and make sure that all people can log in to report them

Cheaper fee’s once your year is up be 50p/£1 cheaper a month, give something back to the ones that stay here longer and support!

Color code the video’s, for example red for how to sound like, blue for make music with, yellow for tech tips and so on like that

Say what programs were used to make the how to sound like in the headings for the videos

How to set up a ableton live set with the akai apc40 or apc20 but detailed

Get rid of the subscriber plus, it should all be the same for all or at least offer the people who were subscribers before it was to there to carry on paying the same once they have to renew

[quote]boneidol (05/02/2010)[hr]Right guys, as we all are paying to use this site what would you like to see from SA

I myself would like

A how to sound like hard dance(i.e. BK, technikal or the living legend that is Dom Sweeten)

How to sound like Hard Techno

If there going to have a comp for example on reporting bugs in the site, make it fair and make sure that all people can log in to report them

Cheaper fee’s once your year is up be 50p/£1 cheaper a month, give something back to the ones that stay here longer and support!

Color code the video’s, for example red for how to sound like, blue for make music with, yellow for tech tips and so on like that

Say what programs were used to make the how to sound like in the headings for the videos

How to set up a ableton live set with the akai apc40 or apc20 but detailed

Get rid of the subscriber plus, it should all be the same for all or at least offer the people who were subscribers before it was to there to carry on paying the same once they have to renew

[/quote]

if you use the new filter search  it gives you options to narrow down to what you want ie ableton then intermediate pretty cool little function :slight_smile:

Shame it doesnt come up when you click on video’s at the top tab though

[quote]boneidol (05/02/2010)[hr]Shame it doesnt come up when you click on video’s at the top tab though[/quote]

true !:slight_smile:

if there are enough people interested in Dom doing some tutorials i can pass his details onto SA, however in the past we have only had small amounts of votes for hard dance tutorials. i wouldn’t mind seeing a hard house tutorial but to be fair the genre is fairly dead these days with a relatively small following (unlike ten years ago). i do think that maybe helping some of the newer younger blood so to speak learn how to make good hard dance would boost the popularity.

im not a big hard dance fan but was maybe 10 years ago. I think we can still learn if SA put together one of these - i mean im not a big nu-disco fan at the momment but watching the tutorials was a great way of learning.

I dont think SA is going to lower their prices either brotha. If anything, increase for different content. Only the future will tell. However, you will find nothing cheaper.

Cheers for your views and comments on what i put guys:cool:

Now what would you all like to see?

A full on mastering tutorial if poss !:slight_smile:

Wouldn’t Mind a Processing Tutorial or several

If anything the site costs should go up, ok so it’s not going to work because people are never happy unless something is free, but the site is cheap enough as it is and total value for money.

Come on, i get so much more from this site than i ever did when I was at Uni and that cost me I think it was £3200 for a year.

Then you look at that other site Point Blank who charge the earth for shoddy source material.

I honestly couldn’t sing any more praises to this site, no wonder i’ve been coming back again and again for nearly 2 years now.

What do I want from Sonic Academy?

I want them to carry on delivering the total value for money, excellent resource, consistant tutor forum use and feedback that they’ve always done.

What videos would I like to see added? Well i think for the benefit of the site, it would be important to include a dedicated synthesis tutorial, as well as more product reviews and DJ/Producer interviews. I really loved what they did at ADE, want more of that!

I also think a monthly Sonic Academy podcast mixed and presented by Bryan and/or Phil would go down a treat, it could include guest mixes and tunes from Sonic Academy members.

well…i for one hope we get some new content before my membership ends (i doubt i buy another year)… because in last three months there was nothing (yeah we get new website but i didnt pay for that)…

thank god they at least throwed away that awful quicktime

Hi! This is my first post here as I joined up with gold subscription just a few days ago. I’m still going through tech tips and some random stuff until I can sit down and devote a four hour chunk to “how to make peak time trance” for example.

I just want to second the vote for Technikal. Or at the very least how to make his lead sound from track such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK22VaJiAbM

It almost sounds like a horn or something. Anyhow, I’m finding the tutorials extremely useful so far!

they could upgrade on a camera for their vids.

I think there should be a system where you could comment on every video while watching it (like youtube) so questions can ask asked and answered easily by such as " how did he do that @ 1.52 in the video" would be easier to get questions asnwered if any…

i also think SA should reply more to our tutorial requests and let us know if they are interested in each request or not instead of keeping us waiting…

saying that i do love the site and learned everything i know about dance music on it and know have 3 tracks signed all thanks to them so i dont want to seem like im complaining!

I dunno, I’m pretty happy with everything as is. I personally would like to see more deep house, tech-house tuts. I know there’s already several, but there’s so many aspects of those genres, it’s timeless. Not full tuts, but just little tech tips ones on ‘How to get that synth/bass’ kinda ones related to it. Maybe pick the most talked about tracks once a month and pick something from them? How did they do that vocal, bass, drum, etc., etc. I know this is already done, but it tends to be aimed towards Electro and whatnot.

Another thing I think would be cool, and would add a little bit of extra revenue to the site, would be to start an SA Record Label, designed to give the up and coming producers of the site a step up.

Plenty of other ‘academies’ do this, holding internal comp’s and the winners getting to release their tracks on the label. It would be a nice touch for the amature producer to aspire too.

Just my two cents!

Oh, also, I’d love to see an electronica/ambient tut… I don’t make that stuff myself, but I’m very intrigued in the delicate intricate nature of genres like glitch-hop and stuff… Think Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, Tosca, Kruder & Dorfmeister… All recognized genius’ in their own rights. Obviously you can’t make a tut for creativity, but some of the stuff they do is mind-boggling.

-A

I am perfectly happy with the value for the $ I get here at SA… They do a fantastic job… Of course , noone wants prices to rise, but one thing i think SA could do, is also cater to the DJ crowd a little more. With the advancements in technology, it seems everyone with a laptop and a copy of serato wants to be a DJ, we may snicker at some of these people, but it is an untapped market for SA… If they could pull in this segment of the market, it would mean more $ for SA as well as less of a chance of a price hike to us in the future. Take a look at dubspot here in NYC, they have producer as well as dj classes www.dubspot.com

That being said, im +1 for a full on Mastering tutorial.

[quote]Darthbrooklyn (02/03/2011)[hr]I am perfectly happy with the value for the $ I get here at SA… They do a fantastic job… Of course , noone wants prices to rise, but one thing i think SA could do, is also cater to the DJ crowd a little more. With the advancements in technology, it seems everyone with a laptop and a copy of serato wants to be a DJ, we may snicker at some of these people, but it is an untapped market for SA… If they could pull in this segment of the market, it would mean more $ for SA as well as less of a chance of a price hike to us in the future. Take a look at dubspot here in NYC, they have producer as well as dj classes www.dubspot.com

That being said, im +1 for a full on Mastering tutorial.[/quote]

Actually good idea. I know the majority of us can DJ well, but there’s some really high-end advanced stuff that can be done in regards to Traktor, it’d be nice to have a tut showing some nice little tricks and tips.

we have been working on a whole bunch of new stuff… some big some small… some back end stuff is finished which you dont really see but helps us with customer service and stuff giving us more time to concentrate on tuts.

Bry got streaming sorted on the videos there so it should mean the load quicker and you can instantly jump to any spot with out it having to load the whole thing…its a joy to use… you will like.

We also have a major 2 new updates thats still a few months off but should be AWESOME!