What do you want from Sonic Academy?

I think vocal recording, samlle recordings and mabey how to record a guitar are all doable things that I think will be beneficial to edm producers…

[quote]jjdejong0 (14/03/2011)[hr]I think vocal recording, samlle recordings and mabey how to record a guitar are all doable things that I think will be beneficial to edm producers…[/quote]

You’ve quickly changed your tune?? Only 3 posts back you were against, now you’re posting for?

???

[quote]Roben (15/03/2011)[hr][quote]jjdejong0 (14/03/2011)[hr]I think vocal recording, samlle recordings and mabey how to record a guitar are all doable things that I think will be beneficial to edm producers…[/quote]

You’ve quickly changed your tune?? Only 3 posts back you were against, now you’re posting for?

???[/quote]

nu gaze tut! :slight_smile:

[quote]Roben (15/03/2011)[hr][quote]jjdejong0 (14/03/2011)[hr]I think vocal recording, samlle recordings and mabey how to record a guitar are all doable things that I think will be beneficial to edm producers…[/quote]

???[/quote]

Jan wants Prog, Funky house, Drum & Bass and Live recording techniques.

Basically anything that isnt Techno. Its anything but subtle :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :hehe:

V.funny to watch! :slight_smile:

btw… I’d like a tut on the theme from Eastenders - Hardcore style!

would be nice for SA to make tutorials of whatever is new , Hype and underground. like Moombathon , Glitchy stuff and that new 90S sounds that i hear Djs nowadays spinning ( Polymath , Moda ETC.).

Not changed my tune just mentioned some things that are doable and beneficial to edm producers.

Also ICN you forgot Dutch house and hardstyle lol and your right anything but techno crap.

Im kinda like you Roben I swing both ways in terms of what I wanna see on SA whereas you swing both ways on what you wanna see on here and you swing both ways the Brighton way…

HaHa :cool:

Without a doubt, sonic academy should do a video on recording instruments & vocals.

Learning how to record instruments properly is a crucial thing to learn as a musician. When the producers that make pop music like Britney Spears or Lady Gaga are writing a track… don’t you think they know where a guitar solo might be cool? And then how to record that guitar solo properly in your DAW so that it actually sounds good?

Recording instruments is pretty essential in making EDM. Unless you wanna sound like everybody else… Then go right ahead and don’t watch the videos. But I know people like breakbot, daft punk, armin, above & beyond, and more do it allllll the time. Learning how to do LIVE sets goes hand in hand with learning how to record LIVE.

I play bass & guitar a lot and I have been practicing recording in Ableton for a few tracks I am trying to write in the near future. It is not as simple as just plugging your instrument into your soundcard and then hit record. If you want a “sound” and if you have never played to a EDM track before, It’s a lot harder then you might think. Personally I think a live instrument recording jam session would be a great fit on Sonic Academy.

I’m glad everyone except Jan agrees with me… oh sorry hold on, that’s wrong,… I’m glad everyone agrees with me except Jan who now only agrees with me because he realised he was wrong and live recording and production IS an important aspect to learn, even for EDM producers.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps this will go in the Jan FAIL book along with his panned kicks technique :wink: hehe :laugh:

<3 you jan x

50/50 Roben, I really dont see the benefit of setting up and recording a live band simply because I think everyone on here for one are edm producers and two I dont really think anyone here has the capabilities to facilitate recording a live band.

On the flip side I can see use in stuff that benefits an edm producer like vocal recording, recording your own samples and mabey recording stuff like a guitar. These things are all more viable because anyone can set up a mic in their bedroom and theres some cool stuff out there that lets you plugin directly into the pc and record.

But let me ask you Roben, say SA does a tutorial on how to record a full band, are you gonna go out and spend thousands on the equipment you will need plus even more on the space you need. If its just a case of you wanting to know stuff then go read tweakheadz guide, its free and explains everything plus you get an idea of what its all going to cost you in terms of gear.

I personally think SA should continue teaching people how to make different edm its also financially better for you if you wanna make some money engineering tracks for peopke. You get just as many DJ Tiesto wannabes as you do Oasis band wannabes, but you can probably engineer 3 times as many edm tracks as you can live bands and its gonna take a whole load of recording time and headaches to get back the money that you invested in equipment that you WILL need to buy. For edm all you need is a computer, a daw and a midi keyboard PLUS the ability to confidently put together a techno track for a client as a house track or gabba track for another client, just as a rough example.

I mean SA could get a pilot in and teach everyone how to be fly and fly a G6 but is anyone here seriously gonna go out and spend thousands on a pilot training/license and then millions on a G6? I doubt it and its just a waste of resources and time.

Also I dont think this is a fail and I also think alot of people will agree with me, but please dont be offended its just my oppinion :slight_smile: wub u2 xx

I’m not offended :slight_smile:

I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick, I mentiond ‘band’ because it kinda covers most aspects of areas people will record, or MAY record in the future.

Lets take an example out of my life, I’m making an EDM track and i’ve got live bass, live guitar, vocalist and a backing vocalist, i’ve also got live drums which at this current moment in time i’m processing, i had a session player come into the studio and miced up up all areas of the drum, admittingly i’m not going to use the kick as i’ll be using an electronic kick as it’s more punchy, however i will be using the snare, hats, left over head, right overhead and possibly even the left and right room mic recordings.

This saturday i’m meeting jpgetty2win and we’re heading to the studio to record him on guitar and my backing singer is coming in to session.

Have I gone out and spent £1000s? No, actually guess how much i’ve spent… £0

Sure i’m lucky to have access to a studio, but this studio in particular isn’t that expensive to hire, unless you’re trying to hire out Abbey Road Studios, you’ll find there are some studios you can easily hire for say £50 for the day, if that sometimes.

Then it’s a case of either recording yourself (if you can play) or getting a friend or a friend of a friend (whoever) to come in and record.

Think out of the narrow box dude, there are 1000s of great EDM out there that has used real life recordings of real human beings playing real instruments, perhaps think about that, I mean you for one should be well into it because you want to be a trance producer, you’ll no doubt have times when you’ll need to get a session vocalist in.

Can you honestly tell me that you have the full know how?

If you do, then great, kudos to you, perhaps you’ve found out from elsewhere that isn’t Sonic Academy. My idea is for the benefit of Sonic Academy, there’s a gap in the current videos that doesn’t have live recording in it, we’ve had vocal editing etc but it’s only touched the surface, plus what about other instruments? Brass? Wood? Piano?

It is a fantastic suggestion IMO to have live recording based tutorials, after all you dont have to watch it if you really arn’t that interested…

If we’re asking for what we REALLY want from SA then please can you give me the secret formula to have a top 5 Beatport hit every track I make.

Oh, and can I have a back rub as well? Just not from Phil or Bry, a good looking lady will do.

[quote]jonsloan (17/03/2011)[hr] please can you give me the secret formula to have a top 5 Beatport hit every track I make.

[/quote]

Something boring and unoriginal usually gets it, or go for a rework of a classic, otherwise if you’re a well known name like Deadmau5 that pretty much guarantees you a Top 5, even if you release a track that is nothing but raspberrys and farts.

No i did a course a few years ago, the second year was all live recording etc and its a total ball ache.

Im for stuff like vocal recording because this is a key thing for edm producers…

I dont really know of any edm producers that use a live drum kit, i think 99% use samples/drum machines/synths…

Yeah you dont have to watch it but id rather watch HTSL tutorials. I mean im pretty confident with Trance and some House but mabey id like to make a dubstep track or a Hardstyle track etc of which i have little knowledge of, i might even take a trip to the Carribean, have a huge coconut fall on my head and want a tutorial on Minimal Tech, im just saying the whole live recording thing apart from Vocals, which i think the recording bit is simple its more the processing afterwards but thats a whole other story…

[quote]jjdejong0 (17/03/2011)[hr]No i did a course a few years ago, the second year was all live recording etc and its a total ball ache.

Im for stuff like vocal recording because this is a key thing for edm producers…

I dont really know of any edm producers that use a live drum kit, i think 99% use samples/drum machines/synths…

[/quote]

dude the reason you don’t know is because you are keeping your eyes & ears closed.

savoy uses live drum kits.

glitch mob uses drum kit samples & live kits through their setup.

also they play guitar & bass in certain tracks when they do live shows.

infected mushroom uses live kits on like every track and they also do it when they play live.

they have a drummer, vocalist, guitarist and a keyboarder all playing at the same time.

not everybody uses drums. yes lots and lots of people just use synths/samples…

yet clearly… not everybody does the same thing.

and as EDM musicians/producers/artists/whatever you wanna call it…

recording live instruments is essential and knowing how to do it properly is very important.

some of us jan are not out to be superstar trance producers and actually want to learn as much about musical production as possible. learning how to properly record & play instruments LIVE through ableton or whatever is pretty essential if you ever wanted to say, try and develop a LIVE show with your music.

and so we are clear… I consider Vocals to be a LIVE instrument.

TBH I just want a section with loads o naked irish woman with their tits out!

[quote]gofunk (18/03/2011)[hr]TBH I just a section with loads o naked irish woman with their tits out![/quote]

We’d settle for Scottish, ask your misses to get involved with her friends :wink: :laugh:

UnitedVision out of all the people you mentioned … i havent heard of a single one of em… and i dont think the rest of the world has either…

[quote]jjdejong0 (20/03/2011)[hr]UnitedVision out of all the people you mentioned … i havent heard of a single one of em… and i dont think the rest of the world has either…[/quote]

yah right dude. infected mushroom makes it around the top 10 DJ list every year.

This year they came in at #13.

You should ask anybody in Israel or the Middle East or South America if they ever heard of Infected.