What does everyone think of this new Deadmau5 song?

hah. glad u liked it. but in all seriousness.

if you wanna do vocals/prog house/trance/awesome beats in dubstep…

this is how it’s done. with dinosaurs(laser face) & megatron at the dentist of course.

Sounds like someones being axe murdered.

[quote]Roben (03/12/2010)[hr]Sounds like someones being axe murdered.[/quote]

that means its good. it’s sh*t when you want to murder yourself with an axe. ie deadmau5

Genuinely hate to say this UV - I know you really love them: But I really dont like Skrillex :w00t:

From the 1st moment I heard them… to each new track I encounter, it sounds so unhorrible to my ears. Everything DS should be, but this DS isnt. It just sounds a bit pasteurised. Its like one crossover too many. No filth.

They’re obviously very popular, successful & talented… Fair play :cool:

The productions sound deadly - but its kinda like deadmau5 to me.

Just sounds too nice.

understood. it’s not everybody’s cup of tea. (skrillex is only 1 dude)… and I hear you on the flith. it depends on how dirty u wanna get. 16bit - Chainsaw Calligraphy is about as dirty as it gets in my book. that or a lot of the stuff borgore does.

for some reason tho i really dig dubstep that sounds like people have turrets.

BUT 2 me its also about the groove. especially when people blend genres.

but it has to be done correctly.

i dunno how a person that likes dance music could listen 2 this and not enjoy it…

Its just 1/2 time Funk Music made with Massive.

Sorta what Prince would make if he was to make DS :hehe: :cool:

Sorry UV… I suppose its just my taste. I think DS should sound a little bit dark & edgy. The last few tracks kinda sound… Poppy.

They’re not gritty enough IMO… and I hold my hands up here, its not to my personal taste. They all sound over produced & a bit too slick. They sound cool & I’m sure they rip bassbins apart like nobodys business… But its not the sound of the apocalypse.

:cool:

Emo Reggae, that’s what it is.

yah i like it dirty 2. this is what I really think of when i think of dubstep.

i just have been digging how certain artists have been blending genres.

Thats a bit more like it I suppose! I dont know anymore! :w00t:

Being Bristolian, DnB and Dubstep are big sounds from my city. This new breed of noisy dubstep (even though I like it) is getting some bad reps too. Just look up ‘bro step’ on google or what have you.

I love the dirty stuff, but I think the pure stuff should have a bit more swagger to it, when I think of Dubstep I am thinking this:

I’d not heard of Skrillex till recently, interesting stuff, but a bit brasher than the UK stuff I think.

3 Good choices Bang. I dont know what it is about the UK stuff. Theres a certain authenticity to it that is lacking in the Skrillex stuff.

They’re differnent genres of DS… arent they? Would Jakes, Rusko or Benga play a Skrillex track? Thats a question. I genuinely dont know.

I’d be surprised if they did. I think Skrillex is wankstep. Sorry! :w00t: :hehe: :slight_smile: :cool: 

Its not got the uk vibe. That vibe is the soul of DS.

Maybe that Skrillex stuff & what comes with it can be its own entity… but I’m not sure that fans of the last few vids would like Deadmau5 / Skrillex. Maybe I’m wrong - I dont really know much about either scene to be fair… its just my perception.

Love that Benga Album.

Yeah its not a better or worse thing, but for me dubstep is all about the edgy swagger, which has been misunderstood by people (worldwide not just UK/US) as meaning wonky basslines.

It’s like drum and bass though, a UK thing that when exported, might be good, but was probably not akin to the original vibe.

Not saying UK does everything best, just obviously being from here I can see it more from that perspective. Like I am sure UK hip hop is scoffed at by proper american aficionados sometimes etc.

I was talking to my boy who is an up and comer in the dubstep scene. We were chatting and he made a point that producers like Skrillex, Deadmau5, Wolfgang, Nero, Noisia, and Pendulum are complete professionals and masters of their craft. Not to say that other producers don’t make good music, but the level of quality is absolutely amazing when they put together their releases.

[quote]bangthedj (04/12/2010)[hr]Yeah its not a better or worse thing, but for me dubstep is all about the edgy swagger, which has been misunderstood by people (worldwide not just UK/US) as meaning wonky basslines.

It’s like drum and bass though, a UK thing that when exported, might be good, but was probably not akin to the original vibe.

Not saying UK does everything best, just obviously being from here I can see it more from that perspective. Like I am sure UK hip hop is scoffed at by proper american aficionados sometimes etc.[/quote]

Yeah… Thats definitely true. UK HH to US HH is a great example.

Kinda like Country & Western from Belgium - or Richard Blackwood Vs. Eddie Murphy :)

These things are what they are. Glad that theres room for everyone. But given the choice I’d rather the flavour of Full Fat than Diet, any day of the week.

All or nothing :crazy:

[quote]howiegroove (04/12/2010)[hr]I was talking to my boy who is an up and comer in the dubstep scene. We were chatting and he made a point that producers like Skrillex, Deadmau5, Wolfgang, Nero, Noisia, and Pendulum are complete professionals and masters of their craft. Not to say that other producers don’t make good music, but the level of quality is absolutely amazing when they put together their releases.[/quote]

Agreed, but sometimes its the bedroom guys that define a sound, offering something that likes of Deadmau5 could only wish for.

+1

the genre defining dubstep of the early days had such a beautiful groove, this is what defines the good stuff from the bad, or errgh filthstep… not the biggest fan of this new stuff i prefer the more older stuff, as the bass just fits with the groove, how it should sound!

its all about the groove, i just attempted my first dubstep sorta track and the bassline by itself was a lil simple, but when the drums hit it it just had this beautiful groove that fit perfectly

[quote]bangthedj (04/12/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (04/12/2010)[hr]I was talking to my boy who is an up and comer in the dubstep scene. We were chatting and he made a point that producers like Skrillex, Deadmau5, Wolfgang, Nero, Noisia, and Pendulum are complete professionals and masters of their craft. Not to say that other producers don’t make good music, but the level of quality is absolutely amazing when they put together their releases.[/quote]

Agreed, but sometimes its the bedroom guys that define a sound, offering something that likes of Deadmau5 could only wish for.[/quote]

I disagree and agree at the same time bro. See, although any “bedroom producer” can put out a song thats as good, not all of their songs are as good as every one of those guys. They are the consummate professional is what I mean. All of their productions are absolutely top notch and its hard to find holes in them… except for the song in the OP. I dont know wtf was going on there man.

Ah yeah, in that respect definitely.

In fact Pendulum were largely shunned by the true Drum & Bass community based purely on them being ‘Over Produced’. Which is just an indication of the difference between professional production and good ‘bedroom’ production in my eyes.

Still when I speak to the DnB/Dubstep die hard they struggle to accept anything that is well made. Sub Focus is a good example, the forum bashers have gone right off him since he stepped up his production skills, all very odd.

Maybe the rawness is all part of that underground vibe.

See I have 2 agree with BangtheDJ & ICN on the UK thing for dubstep. ALL of my favorite dubstep artists are from the UK… 16bit, Nero, Borgore, Rusko are allll UK superstars for dubstep in my book. These are the artists whose productions actually got me into dubstep in the first place. Skrillex is just a new guy that made some pretty sick tracks. He blended some genres and made some great productions. But in the end he is only 1 guy and 1 guy does not overrule all the other great producers I mentioned at the start of this post. People are just talking about Skrillex a lot lately because he was so popular on Beatport and because he is on Mautrap. I am sure that he will continue to make good music, but he is not the 2nd coming of christ for dubstep like some claim him to be. It’s my opinion, but when NERO comes out with their debut album in 2011, people will be chanting them as though they re-invented the sound. It’s all about timing.

I do think its funny that you guys mentioned the bed room DJs versus the big guys. I think guys like Deadmau are bored with their sound ( I know that most of us are…). Deadmau makes good music for his genre, but he’s obviously bored which is why he’s toying with dubstep. It’s also funny because he has been characterizing himself as electro producer when all of his big stuff is prog house & minimal. Ghosts N Stuff is the only big electro track I think of when I think of mau5. Even animal rights was with Wolfgang Gartner (who you can hear in all the best parts of the track). I have yet to hear a Deadmau5 track that is on the level of a bedroom producer like Porter Robinson. Porter has been making some of the sickest electro ever right now. The kid is only 18yrs old living in ba-bumble-f*ck North Carolina. The only person better than him in the states is wolfgang gartner himself. Porter doesnt have the resources that deadmau5 does either. So its even more of an accomplishment for the level of quality that he has been putting out.

And 2 howie’s point… I definitely agree with you on those guys all being masters of their craft. I think that the cleanliness of their productions is the biggest reason for their success. So while sometimes you want that dark gritty dirty sound, if you want recognition, making your sound unique & yet clean is the way to get there. This is my personal goal as a producer, to be a master of my craft. Not to get signed, but to know how to do everything musically that I want to do. This 2 me is the most important thing in trying to be a producer and it is what separates the men from the boys.

and this is the reason why the deadmau5 dubstep track this thread was started on is soooo funny. deadmau5 is a master of prog house/minimal, nobody can argue that. but he is Obviously NOT a master of dubstep. In fact, all of us probably agree that this song is ****. i think its funny that he is so picky about his normal productions that he would allow a piece of **** like this track to come out and think it was on par with his normal stuff. somebody was smoking rock on that 1.