What vst's could'nt you live without?

Basically i am getting more and more into my music production now and have got my head down and are slowly learning about eq, compression,limiting etc…

so what i want to know is what vsts do you alway grab and for what reason??

im into my electro house and breakbeats etc…so if anybody can point me in the right direction for vsts around this genre would be wicked?

also i want a compressor for an all round use ive saved up abit of cash and want to blow it on a good compressor that i can widely use over my productions??

thanks everyone

woodzy:cool: 

If I had my time again I would buy far fewer vsts.

But the ones I would have are:

PSP Xenon - The limiter in Ableton is a bit crap, this one is awesome.

Fabfilter Pro Q - My go to eq

PSP Vintage warmer - for warmth

Ohm force Ohmicide - for distortion

Dada life Sausage Fatner - for fatness.

I use the Ableton compressor 90% of the time, I think it is very good. I do have the Fabfilter Pro C and the PSP Master comp - I really like both but the Ableton one does the job fine, so just gets uses the most. I use the Pro C for NY compression and the PSP Master comp on the master, but I use the Ableton on channels and on mix busses.

[quote]jameswoodall (07/12/2011)[hr]

so what i want to know is what vsts do you alway grab and for what reason??

[/quote]

Sylenth 1 :w00t:

great sound and it’s not a CPU hog!

For me its Native Instruments Massive and iZotope’s Ozone…

I just love them both dearly and use them where I can. Abletons built in VST’s are great for almost everything else…

Sugar Bytes Effectrix. I have used it on literally every track I’ve made since I got it.

Since you’re into Electro and breakbeats, you should consider NI Massive. Think most of the producers in this genre are using it for it’s versatility and fat sounds.

But you can always use something entirely different to distinguish yourself from the masses.

I can live without all my VST’s just fine. What I really can’t do without is food & drinks. Especially beer :w00t:

Productions wise I tend to use Sylenth1 quite a lot. For creating basslines, bass leads & fills like risers, downers, etc.

And the spectrum analyzer from Ableton. You need to keep track of the frequencies of all sounds!

sylenth, synapse dune.

toraverb, voxengo span, ableton compressor & eq :slight_smile:

kombinat for mb distortion.

Can anyone suggest a really good EQ vst?

I’m not a huge fan of the way ableton’s EQ Eight does shelving EQ’s. It starts out gradual and the more you increase the Q it just raises it towards the end.

For example. say I want a shelf eq of +1 db for the sub bass. I try to shelf it starting a like 80 Hz however it only starts increasing once its down to like 60 and then the slope gets steeper and steeper. I dont know if you know what I mean exactly.

I like how logic’s EQ has a shelf mode where you can set it at say 80 Hz, +1 db, and then its a consistent +1 db from 80Hz all the way to 0 Hz.

You need to meddle with the Q, the higher the Q the faster it shelves it at the mark you want, the lower the Q and the slower it reaches the actual deduction/addition.

However, if you want a REALLY good EQ try FabFilter Pro-Q. Only tried it a few times myself but it wowed me everytime. Its got its own spectrum analysis built in and it is very easy to use and it looks hot (like all FabFilter products).

Yeah. Well my point is, I don’t like how it arcs up. (In my opinion a shelf is no good if it is arced, then all your books and stuff will just fall off ;))

I’ll definitely take a look at the fab filter pro Q though, thanks!

Pro Q is brilliant. These have been posted before, but it you missed them:

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=FabFilter Pro-Q - Advanced EQ'ing techniques - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=FabFilter Pro-Q - EQ Tips & Tricks - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

[quote]TheAnt (08/12/2011)[hr]Pro Q is brilliant. These have been posted before, but it you missed them:

[/quote]

Agreed

As for VST’s

xFer LFO Tool

eTonic Tape Delay

…and what the other people mentioned here

arturia minimoog without a shadow, just tooooo much fun !!

eq’s

psp neon

softube tonelux

also:

arts acoustic reverb

psp vintage warmer

waves renaissance bass

uad dbx160 -great on drum/bass,kick,snare add punch to mix

uad la-2a

softube summit tla-100a

blue cat audio triple eq

psp 85 delay

sound toys echoboy

112b morgana

tone2 warmverb multi-fx

Yeah fab filter is great I also use

Span

Vintage warmer2

Ableton compressor

Ableton Saturator

Sonic maximizer

Ozone

Sylenth

Keep your vst’s to a minimum. When I started I bought a DVD from eBay with 2000 vst’s. Such a bad move!! Keep it simple.

[quote]J4Electrix (08/12/2011)[hr]

uad dbx160 -great on drum/bass,kick,snare add punch to mix
uad la-2a[/quote]

J4 - Which UAD card have you got?

I was over to my buddy house he has 1 ,he show me ,I was impressed by uad plugs.

Those cards are pricey and can take off cpu hog similar to muse receptor or tc powercore.

:hehe:

Sylenth1 for me.

Very accessible but quite deep when you get into it.

Spam and Gonio 3 for me . really awesome Plug ins .

also i purchased Kontakt 5 and a week later i am still wondering why i havent got this years ago . the Sound Library are awesome and have all kind of Hardware synths ready to be tweaked .

[quote]alinenunez (11/12/2011)[hr]Spam and Gonio 3 for me . really awesome Plug ins .

also i purchased Kontakt 5 and a week later i am still wondering why i havent got this years ago . the Sound Library are awesome and have all kind of Hardware synths ready to be tweaked .[/quote]

Ok read the blurb - but what does the Gonio 3 actually do :stuck_out_tongue: