Where do you get ideas and inspiration from

Do you find yourself listening to the same bit of your tune over and over trying to think and what to do next or trying to write a melody or do you have a source of inspiration on tap?

I tend to listen to other music of the same genre but the trouble there is my work can end up sounding to much like what I might be getting ideas from… How does everyone else go about this??

[quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr]Do you find yourself listening to the same bit of your tune over and over trying to think and what to do next or trying to write a melody or do you have a source of inspiration on tap?

I tend to listen to other music of the same genre but the trouble there is my work can end up sounding to much like what I might be getting ideas from… How does everyone else go about this??[/quote]

Mate I get the same problem a lot, it’s hard really to find ideas about what extra elements to add to your track. I’m currently having the issue with some new track i’m working on, just over listening to what i’ve done so far thinking it’s great but it needs more.

Filling out the track has always been one of my biggest challenges.

I hear ya bro, happening to me as we speak as well!

It happens to us all though, that’s the frustrating thing about making Original tracks, some days you are just on fire and put things together so easy, other days it just doesn’t happen.

This is why remixing is easier, but then it’s more satisfying making an original track :slight_smile:

I think Ableton can help a lot if you’re struggling, try out loops and sounds and see what they sound like, then sometimes that can spur ideas, either from the loop or sound you’ve used or something that you could make to replace it.

I throw darts at lady gaga's face while I play pin the needle on the synth.

[quote]UnitedVision (16/07/2010)[hr]

I throw darts at lady gaga’s face while I play pin the needle on the synth.[/quote]

lol

i get alot of mine from other music or sample packs. I dont use the actual sounds from sample packs that often, but use them just for inspiration.

I get this all of the time and I hate it. I feel like my brain is not in creative mode. Usually when this happens, ill use my time to try to recreate other songs, and usually on the way I will create something sorta cool and then work off of that. And if not, at least I spent my time gaining knowledge about synths and song construction.

Its tough though, this is my number one weakness. If I make something that is GOLDEN, I only wanna add other parts that are just as awesome. I feel like not matching its awesome-ness is destroying the potential that the tune had.

[quote]howiegroove (16/07/2010)[hr]i get alot of mine from other music or sample packs. I dont use the actual sounds from sample packs that often, but use them just for inspiration.[/quote]

Are you just reffering to sounds here Howie or melodys to? Tell us how u get melodic ideas mate?

[quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (16/07/2010)[hr]i get alot of mine from other music or sample packs. I dont use the actual sounds from sample packs that often, but use them just for inspiration.[/quote]

Are you just reffering to sounds here Howie or melodys to? Tell us how u get melodic ideas mate?[/quote]

Whys that? Want me to divulge all my secrets?

:wink:

[quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (16/07/2010)[hr]i get alot of mine from other music or sample packs. I dont use the actual sounds from sample packs that often, but use them just for inspiration.[/quote]

Are you just reffering to sounds here Howie or melodys to? Tell us how u get melodic ideas mate?[/quote]

i’ll take the pattern from something and turn it into my own

I buy loads of music every week, I get my ideas from those. I like to think I can spot a new trend within what I’m interested in, before some people. I’m not interested in making pretentious or artistic statements, I like short, to the point; functional club music and that’s what I like to make. Loop Techno is back, it’s polished, it’s more detailed and clean, but it’s definitely back. Nothing particularly innovative I suppose, but what is these days.

This happends to me all the time especially with the more musical aspects.  I read somewhere maybe even on here that it can be usefull to record yourself humming a melody as it will come more natural than trying to draw in or play some keys if your not a particularly skilled musician.

It can serve as a bit of inspiration or maybe even come up with something you like.  The hard part then would be to translate that to actual keys and notes. 

There was a thread on another forum that I post on all the time. There was a topic that went something like “the one thing that you wish you would have always done thread”.

I said something like, I wish I had listened to more random obscure music. Nothing better then sampling some Russian Reggae that nobody has ever heard of! :wink:

But yeah…get inspiration from other songs and sounds dude. Thats how many of the biggest songs are created today.

Sometimes I make a throwback track. Years ago my head was up my arse and I was into smoking loads of weed and Deep House. I was the proverbial “You don’t get it” guy. I have cleared several floors in my time playing 122bpm tracks with “lush pads” and swinging perc. So yea, sometimes I make some Deeper House stuff. I do have to keep a check on myself otherwise I will slip back into this I love strings, warm keys and those “lush pads”.

I also love making sarcastic piss take tracks, I don’t think you guys are aware of club promoters from back in the day here called Intelligence and their resident DJs XRay and Sci. Recently I made a 156bpm NU NRG trance thing with gated vocals and huge Nord Super Saw synth riffs and massive deep spoken word vocals with a German accent. I was actually quite proud of it. Had it been out on No Respect or Noom or something at the time, I’m sure those guys would have played it, except for the fact the spoken vocal said “LOL XRay - It’s ironic you were called Intelligence” quite camply.

[quote]howiegroove (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (16/07/2010)[hr]i get alot of mine from other music or sample packs. I dont use the actual sounds from sample packs that often, but use them just for inspiration.[/quote]

;)[/quote]

haha so we’re all keeping secrets now… not me I’d rather share :Wow:

i just create a four to the floor and play some synth pad chords over it til i hear something i like. then develop it from there.

[quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (16/07/2010)[hr]i get alot of mine from other music or sample packs. I dont use the actual sounds from sample packs that often, but use them just for inspiration.[/quote]

;)[/quote]

haha so we’re all keeping secrets now… not me I’d rather share :Wow:

[/quote]

he only shares STD’s

[quote]jon_fisher (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (16/07/2010)[hr]i get alot of mine from other music or sample packs. I dont use the actual sounds from sample packs that often, but use them just for inspiration.[/quote]

i’ll take the pattern from something and turn it into my own[/quote]

I also do this but I always feel like I’m ripping something off! Or if its a tune I really like I can never get it to sound better.

This has given me an idea however… I’m gonna find a pattern in a tune I’m not keen on then make it better. My thoughts behind this are if I dont like the tune (key/notes/scale) then how can I not make it better… worth a try anyway.

Also where does everyone start their tune, drums and base? lead and work back the way etc? at the mo I’m working on one where I have made it to the brake and now on the lead area and struggleing. Made one lead I like but its isnt good for the intro… Feels likes swings and roundabouts!

[quote]jpgetty2win (16/07/2010)[hr]i just create a four to the floor and play some synth pad chords over it til i hear something i like. then develop it from there.[/quote]

What do you mean by four to the floor?