Where do you get ideas and inspiration from

a kick drum hitting 4 times a bar. just a dance beat.

The time signature in most dance music.  4 beats in a bar = 4 kicks.

i listen to a lot of jazz/funk and take inspiration from that and morph it into dance music rhythms in jazz are sporadic and keep you guessing … i guess:)

[quote]egg2 (16/07/2010)[hr]i listen to a lot of jazz/funk and take inspiration from that and morph it into dance music rhythms in jazz are sporadic and keep you guessing … i guess:)
[/quote]

Works well for Louie Vega and Kenny Dope!

[quote]rcorbo (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]egg2 (16/07/2010)[hr]i listen to a lot of jazz/funk and take inspiration from that and morph it into dance music rhythms in jazz are sporadic and keep you guessing … i guess:)

[/quote]

Works well for Louie Vega and Kenny Dope![/quote]

well man techno is my game but louie vega aint my name … hahahaha:)

[quote]jpgetty2win (16/07/2010)[hr]a kick drum hitting 4 times a bar. just a dance beat.[/quote]

cool, just didnt get your termininoloogy before :smiley:

[quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]jpgetty2win (16/07/2010)[hr]a kick drum hitting 4 times a bar. just a dance beat.[/quote]

cool, just didnt get your termininoloogy before :D[/quote]

You must be doing something right you seem to have some good comments on your soundcloud track in your signature. 

my real answer is I play guitar.

the guitar is just a lot easier for me to get ideas down.

probably because I have been playin for 10 years. and producing for like 6 months. haha

but i find coming up with melodies on the guitar helps remind me of stuff I wanna do.

[quote]rcorbo (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]jpgetty2win (16/07/2010)[hr]a kick drum hitting 4 times a bar. just a dance beat.[/quote]

cool, just didnt get your termininoloogy before :D[/quote]

You must be doing something right you seem to have some good comments on your soundcloud track in your signature.[/quote]

That was the last tune I made, before I joined sonic… havent came up with anything since joining… I sent that one to a few labels and 3 where interested but they all said I need to fix the EQ’s, problems with bass, stereo imaging etc. Think i can fix it now after what I’ve learned here just havent got around to it yet!

[quote]UnitedVision (16/07/2010)[hr]my real answer is I play guitar.

the guitar is just a lot easier for me to get ideas down.

probably because I have been playin for 10 years. and producing for like 6 months. haha

but i find coming up with melodies on the guitar helps remind me of stuff I wanna do.[/quote]

Ye old guitar! good idea, think I bring out the old fella and give that a bash… dunno if it will work for trance tho…

Wading through 20 odd years of vinyl can provide some inspiration.

[quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]UnitedVision (16/07/2010)[hr]think I bring out the old fella and give that a bash… [/quote]

I do that most nights but music is the last thing on my mind when i do…

[quote]roben (17/07/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]UnitedVision (16/07/2010)[hr]think I bring out the old fella and give that a bash… [/quote]

I do that most nights but music is the last thing on my mind when i do…[/quote]

hahahaha :D:D:D

[quote]seanl (17/07/2010)[hr][quote]roben (17/07/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]UnitedVision (16/07/2010)[hr]think I bring out the old fella and give that a bash… [/quote]

I do that most nights but music is the last thing on my mind when i do…[/quote]

hahahaha :D:D:D[/quote]

lol ha ha, dear oh dear!

I haven’t actually started producing yet but looking forward to doing so!

I have been listening to a lot of experimental house music over the past few weeks and that been giving me a lot of inspiration, jotted a few notes down on parts of songs i would perhaps like to incorporate or sample…

Guess it just comes to you… well hoping it does anyway hah!

Are those penis sprinkles?

What the hell is experimental House? Surely that’s a contradiction in terms. Last I heard it’s back to “jackin’” Disco loops. Jesus wept.

[quote]taylorgittin (18/07/2010)[hr]Are those penis sprinkles?[/quote]

LOL

Been trying to think where I get a bit of inspiration from…

Hard to know for sure… I like getting a few chords & trying to pick out a bit of a melody over them. I usually then chop up & rearrange this about so it ends up sounding nothing like the original - at all. Crazy.

Sometimes I’ve I’m out & about & have an idea I’ll hum it into the recorder in my regular Nokia phone. Lots of recordings going - Boom Ba Badum - Ba Badum - Ba Badum - Ba Badum :slight_smile:

Jamming to stuff on YT or a Ghost track is sometimes cool to work out how “that” vibe is achieved. I’ve stopped sitting down & making drums first - Always a musical idea now. Finally realised that I found it difficult fleshing out a loop into an entire track because it sounded good all together - but not particularly in its stripped back bits. Essentially I had no real plan for the whole track. Now I try to get a few musical ideas, have 1/2 a plan and then create / add the drum parts as I continue.

The thing wich helpes my alot creating melodies is a real instrument.

Get yourself something to play on, or better get your self a midikeyboard.

Take a standard beat on the track and start messing arround with a baseline.

Just something simple.

Then, you playback beat and base and freestyle with another instrument.

It may take 10 minutes to have a fitting lead or it may will take 2 hours.

Just dont stop until you have the right feeling about it.

To find fitting sounds (not a fitting pattern) is the other thing. Thats realy not that easy.

I think there it is try and error unless you have an idea of what the sound must be.

Just make a basic pattern with a standard sound and change the instrument till you get the idea. Also a good sorted libary of sounds will help.

Hope I cand help you, have a nice evening.