FM - John Dahlback

[quote]jjdejong0 (04/11/2011)[hr]

I fkin love Bingo as well although it never did as much damage in the clubs for me here in Holland as some of your other stuff but this was at the time everyone just wanted to hear either Bromance or Born Again, so i put it down to misjudgement on the clubbers part lol, i love the vocal tho, awesome.[/quote]

Im in Holland AS WE SPEAK btw…doing Energy Showcase in Amsterdam

Hah wow didn’t expect you to pop along on the forums John! Nice surprise and total hats off to you for taking the time out to answer some questions, thanks!

I’m curious, how the hell do you finish a tune in a day?

Is there any chance you could give us some workflow tips/tricks?

John - Nice to see you around man (if it is you - LOL :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: )

I’m John as well :smiley:

Just wondering - Something that intrigues me:

Where did you / do you get your knowledge?

When we hear records, that seem to depart from what is current, then we hear subsequent releases that sound similar…

Do you chat to your mates in the biz & share tips & techniques - or do you find all the DJ’s / Producers are secretive with their shizzle, or are they pretty open?

I like to think that theres a community amongst you guys & that you help eachother out :cool:

Or is a little from column A and B? Just being sh!t hot & being able to pick what you want from current sounds & put your own twist on 'em?

Yeah John thanx for being down to earth, cool and answering all these questions, i hope you enjoy Amsterdam and im sure you will blow the roof off!

Ok who next shall we accuse of piracy so we can lure them in to ask questions :stuck_out_tongue:

Well apparantly we have evidence on Avicii dont we? lol

hahaha. How awesome would that actually be if we had regulary (or at very least occasionly) some of the big names drift by our forums to not only answer some Qs but join in on the debates, thoughts, banter, etc.

Apart from Laidback Luke on his own forum, you never seem to find any big name producers on any networks joining in discussing and sharing music production techniques, plug in’s, industry, etc, etc that we’re all obviously very passionate about.

Perhaps it’s because they’re too busy, I mean I ask ben and james (prok & fitch) pretty much all the time to sort out a video for us but that’s still not happened because they’re so busy, for example between this weekend and NYE they’re jetting off to 7 diff countries for various gigs, madness. I keep hoping for at least a FM magazine DVD from them soon though!! (Still waiting on that ATFC one too!!)

Although I don’t see harm in getting the ipad/laptop/iphone out whilst bored sitting in an airport and joining in on the discussion, banter.

Social media has been really important for helping artists bridge a relationship with their fans, and artists do use it fully! Would just be nice to see more of that kind of relationship with the ‘fellow man’ (or woman in slenders case). I know that i’ll still spend the odd bit of time on these forums if i ever become successful with my music, because it’s awesome speaking and reading about the subject i have such a massive passion about, as well as building friendships with like minded people.

I suppose though if you’re good buddies with the big names then why would you want to associate with us up and comings? heh :smiley:

(Although I guess it is us producers who have more respect (or less perhaps sometimes?) for other producers as we’re more ‘critical’ i suppose?)

I always value the opinion of other producers about my music more than I do from others, because for me, if i can impress a producer than i know i’ve done right.

But then I ask… does it really matter? I mean, if the average punter doesn’t hear the finer minor details and yet still loves it, then surely it’s still good?

[quote]Roben (05/11/2011)[hr]hahaha. How awesome would that actually be if we had regulary (or at very least occasionly) some of the big names drift by our forums to not only answer some Qs but join in on the debates, thoughts, banter, etc.

Apart from Laidback Luke on his own forum, you never seem to find any big name producers on any networks joining in discussing and sharing music production techniques, plug in’s, industry, etc, etc that we’re all obviously very passionate about.
Perhaps it’s because they’re too busy, I mean I ask ben and james (prok & fitch) pretty much all the time to sort out a video for us but that’s still not happened because they’re so busy, for example between this weekend and NYE they’re jetting off to 7 diff countries for various gigs, madness. I keep hoping for at least a FM magazine DVD from them soon though!! (Still waiting on that ATFC one too!!)

Although I don’t see harm in getting the ipad/laptop/iphone out whilst bored sitting in an airport and joining in on the discussion, banter.

Social media has been really important for helping artists bridge a relationship with their fans, and artists do use it fully! Would just be nice to see more of that kind of relationship with the ‘fellow man’ (or woman in slenders case). I know that i’ll still spend the odd bit of time on these forums if i ever become successful with my music, because it’s awesome speaking and reading about the subject i have such a massive passion about, as well as building friendships with like minded people.

I suppose though if you’re good buddies with the big names then why would you want to associate with us up and comings? heh :smiley:
(Although I guess it is us producers who have more respect (or less perhaps sometimes?) for other producers as we’re more ‘critical’ i suppose?)
I always value the opinion of other producers about my music more than I do from others, because for me, if i can impress a producer than i know i’ve done right.
But then I ask… does it really matter? I mean, if the average punter doesn’t hear the finer minor details and yet still loves it, then surely it’s still good?[/quote]

your on to something there roben! :cool:

I think the main problem is time and lack there of. I mean if i was a superstar DJ and on tour etc or in the studio, any time off id spend relaxing, not making tutorial vids. But it is nice to see people on forums joining in on discussions and answering questions. I mean anyone can do that, id also like to see more people on the ustream, but like not in the style of deadmau5 where he just sits there for 5 hours and talks/smokes. I wanna see these people making tracks, not doddling on a modular synth making weird freaky sounds for 3 hours…

Well look I think you need to take a step back here and think about what you’re saying.

Whilst it would be awesome having well known producers sharing their knowledge, simply and purely only sharing knowledge and answering questions can get tedious and isn’t fun after a while, it just ends up feeling like a job.

What I’m saying is, why not join in like the rest of us, doing the odd bit here and there but also just chillaxing and being ‘part of the forum’?

Because lets look at what just happened here - and this is in no way a moan at you guys for doing so as I also am culprit for joining in on it - but soon as JD came on, he got swamped with questions, “How do you do this?” “How do you do that?”. I totally understand we all want to try take advantage of the situation but lets look at this subjectivly and from the other foot.

Would being swamped with questions like that continously inspire YOU to return and be part of the forum?

OR would a forum where everyone speaks to you with respect and on the same level, where you can have a laugh, but also learn and share more inspire you? (this part is pretty much what all of us are at… so obviously the fact you’re regular here indicates yes)

Lots of people get burnt out with forums because they have already given everything, more than once.

Other people just dont do forums.

Nothing wrong with either.

Roben, didnt John himself say something along the lines of ‘I dont know about making a video but i’d be happy to answer any questions’?

Also i think forum usership would skyrocket if more people learned the tricky search function…:doze:

No of course, totally understand that! I don’t really do forums, i mean i’ve only ever been a regular on 2 forums in my life but apart from that i just don’t really give a sh*t. Even now I don’t regular any other forum apart from this one and even then… i don’t come on here that much (at least not like i used too).

That reply wasnt to you by the way jan lol.

Sure he did say that but i’m just saying to let someone have breathing space sometimes you know?

Oh god yeah i know what you mean about that tricky search function. If i have to see another topic on: which monitor speakers? which headphones? which DAW? mac or PC? or many others like it i’m going to pop.

Lol Roben dont forget the ‘How do i get a proffesional polished sound’ threads lol…

Haha sorry guys, I did a show in amsterdam last night and have spent my day at the airport. Will try to answer your questions now

Haha sorry guys, I did a show in amsterdam last night and have spent my day at the airport. Will try to answer your questions now

[quote]Roben (04/11/2011)[hr]I’m curious, how the hell do you finish a tune in a day?

Is there any chance you could give us some workflow tips/tricks?[/quote]

Well, I’m quite quick in the studio. Or atleast was fast. I can’t finish a track and feel totally satisfied with a track in one day now. But before, I didn’t care so much for the sounds and mixing and mastering. I just wanted to get my music out there. But obviously today the market look different with having every bloke in the world starting his own label, and that’s putting pressure on the more experienced producers. But I always start real simple, melodies, basslines and beats and not so much about the sound. And once I’m happy with the melodic part of the track, I go more in depth with the sound. The arrangement part I easy. I sort of ctrl+d all the different parts and then take them out when I want to. Last I bounce the track down with a compressor (yes I have the compressor on from the beginning) and then load the track in a new arrangement to sort the levels out together with adding the fxs. And sometimes when the vocal takes too much damage from the kickdrum, I put the vocal on afterwards aswell.

[quote]Roben (04/11/2011)[hr]I’m curious, how the hell do you finish a tune in a day?

Is there any chance you could give us some workflow tips/tricks?[/quote]

Well, I’m quite quick in the studio. Or atleast was fast. I can’t finish a track and feel totally satisfied with a track in one day now. But before, I didn’t care so much for the sounds and mixing and mastering. I just wanted to get my music out there. But obviously today the market look different with having every bloke in the world starting his own label, and that’s putting pressure on the more experienced producers. But I always start real simple, melodies, basslines and beats and not so much about the sound. And once I’m happy with the melodic part of the track, I go more in depth with the sound. The arrangement part I easy. I sort of ctrl+d all the different parts and then take them out when I want to. Last I bounce the track down with a compressor (yes I have the compressor on from the beginning) and then load the track in a new arrangement to sort the levels out together with adding the fxs. And sometimes when the vocal takes too much damage from the kickdrum, I put the vocal on afterwards aswell.