FM - John Dahlback

Ya just gotta love saturdays - something always happens here! LOL

One question i have John is, when you first started sending out your tracks to labels, did you do the mastering yourself or send them your mixdown version with just a compressor on? Ive always wondered what the labels prefer, like do they want it loud and instantly playable for DJ’s or do they wanna hear the pure sound?

To add to that, yolu have any tips on how you master a track to get it up to a level that you can play it out at your next show?

Do you think it makes a difference to the ‘sound’ when it’s been bounced down as opposed to just leaving the midi sequence channel as it was? Is there any reason why you bounce in particular or is it just so that you save CPU space?

Also what if you feel you need to change the midi sequence or edit the sound a bit later on down the track production if you’ve already bounced? Do you still keep the midi channel ‘just in case’?

Jeez -do you hear Roben with all the questions… LOL

[quote]ICN (04/11/2011)[hr]

Where did you / do you get your knowledge?

Whenwe hear records, that seem to depart from what is current, thenwe hear subsequent releases that sound similar…

Do you chat to your mates in the biz & share tips & techniques - or do you find all the DJ’s / Producers are secretive with their shizzle, or are they pretty open?

I like to think that theres a community amongst you guys & that you help eachother out :cool:

Or is a little from column A and B? Just being sh!t hot & being able to pick what you want from current sounds & put your own twist on 'em?[/quote]

I’m pretty much self learned, I remember I used to do stuff in FruityLoops for a while (actually my first 3 years of my career). But after being in the studio with my cousin Jesper and seeing Cubase, I switched and it was AMAZING! Where I have my studio, there are 7 other studios so there’s always people to ask.

Well I have always believed in being open with techniques and tips. We have a good environment in the studio, where if someone finds a great new synth or whatever, they come and tell the rest of us about it. It just happened last week when I got the advice to buy Razor for Reaktor and it’s one of the best synths around!

The most important advice is NOT TO COPY YOUR FAVORITE ARTIST. I don’t know how many demos I go through a week where everything sounds like Avicii or SHM. There is nothing more important than being original. And don’t care so much about the sound in the beginning, that can always be fixed.

Good answer, you win a cookie! :slight_smile: :cool:

Cheers John

[quote]jjdejong0 (05/11/2011)[hr]One question i have John is, when you first started sending out your tracks to labels, did you do the mastering yourself or send them your mixdown version with just a compressor on? Ive always wondered what the labels prefer, like do they want it loud and instantly playable for DJ’s or do they wanna hear the pure sound?

To add to that, yolu have any tips on how you master a track to get it up to a level that you can play it out at your next show?[/quote]

Well in the beginning, I never bothered about things being mastered since recordlabels usually had their own mastering. These days, I do the little bit of mastering I can myself just in Cubase. Think it sounds pretty good coming from that. If I get a demo that sounds ****, but the ideas are good, I usually ask for all the individual parts and do the mixing and mastering.

I don’t know the best tip to master a track to get it up to a certain level. But I always make sure afterwards that the breaks are a little bit lower than when the beat kicks in. I use the maximizer on when everything is on (beats, bass, melodies etc) but I like to keep my breaks without the maximizer to have some kind of dynamic in there. But don’t worry if a track isn’t loud enough, there’s a Gain on most dj-mixers :slight_smile:

[quote]Roben (05/11/2011)[hr]Do you think it makes a difference to the ‘sound’ when it’s been bounced down as opposed to just leaving the midi sequence channel as it was? Is there any reason why you bounce in particular or is it just so that you save CPU space?

Also what if you feel you need to change the midi sequence or edit the sound a bit later on down the track production if you’ve already bounced? Do you still keep the midi channel ‘just in case’?[/quote]

I’m a big bouncer…I bounce everything and it’s mostly to save CPU. Sometimes I bounce too fast and delete the original midi sequence which is a nightmare to try and copy afterwards. So I normally do A LOT OF SAVES, each track of mine has at least 10 versions so I can go back and forth between versions.

Roben i also bounce down all my audio tracks when i do a mixdown, its not really got anything to do with quality its just for the mixdown you want a fresh batch of CPU.

I agree John, theres too much imitation and not enough innovation. But how is it in Sweden now with the likes of the Swedish House Mafia and Avicii, i mean i know Sweden is a very metal country, ive actually been to Gothenburg to see In Flames when i was a little mosher lol, that was fkin sweet. But im guessing now everyone has swapped their guitars for a laptop and some uplifting chord progressions? lol…

Yer John i get your poiint about the mastering i just get worried when sending demos cos like you want it to be able to be mixed in with a commercial track and not sound weird lol.

we still have our metal crowd! and a couple of years hiphop / rnb was huuge here, but now it’s all about uplifting piano house!

Its nice to have the spotlight on your country tho due to a certain style of music although i guess if your already an established producer from Sweden and your sound is nothing like whats commercial then it can be a bit annoying to just hear uplifting pianos all day lol…

But tbh im not really into the uplifting mainroom piano house as its a bit too clean for me, I wanna go mad on a dancefloor, this is why i think Dada Life is probably the best recent thing that has come out of Sweden. I really think they are very skilled producers and they seem crazy as ****…

Dada Life are great! And thanks for the Sausage Fattener!

Yeah everyone loves that plugin lol, the tutors on here use it as well. I think you should collab with Dada Life John, that would be awesome lol…

There has got to be something in the Swedish water, way too many awesome producers come out of that country! :smiley: haha

Thanks for answering my Qs John, much appreciated! I really should try bouncing things, I like your idea about saving multiple versions, that could work for me.

Well the copycats are the ones that won’t really make a name for themselves, I find myself inspired by lots of music and artists and like to put my own take on things, even if it does take me forever to finish a track! meh :ermm:

I hope you stick around on the forums John, it’s a good community here for the most part.

Hey,

I want to apologize old users for interrupting, because this is my first post @ this forum.

But this is one unique and great opportunity to ask JOHN, if and when will be release this MYBACK track, start @ 2:25 >>

Albin Myers & John Dahlbäck Presents ***MYBACK US / CANADA TOUR PART 2*** - YouTube

I still asking you via facebook etc but I have no reply :stuck_out_tongue: [but no hard feelings, because I know you are very bussy].

Can you put e-mail to your mutants rec. to send some interesting demos? (no, not avicii style haha :P) or via soundcloud dropbox?

Regards,

m.c.

The track won’t be released I’m afraid! Its called “tenderly” but will only stay as a demo. It was one of those tracks which sounded AMAZING while doing it, but not so good the second listen.

[quote]johndahlback85 (05/11/2011)[hr]The track won’t be released I’m afraid! Its called “tenderly” but will only stay as a demo. It was one of those tracks which sounded AMAZING while doing it, but not so good the second listen.[/quote]

So sad :frowning:

-but i think i understand it, a lot of producers post new previews @ internet and when those tracks are released the sound is not so good at all :slight_smile:

And one more thing guys: I heard, Spor [famous d’n’b producer] use cracked version vsti [sylenth1… i cant remember which vsti] BECASUE cracked version are more stable than full version into his DAW :exclamationmark: But he have also full version somewhere in studio.

Hey john, just wanna say I’m a big fan of yours and love your tracks, especially pyramid, really funky that one. Thanks and cheers from sweden!

This is simply great. John you rock!

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions. Do keep on producing great music!

Its nice to see that you actually came on here to defend yourself (or explain what ever) personally i was a bit shocked that the magazine never picked up on the name.