FM - John Dahlback

Well…as I said earlier, I have licenses for everything I use in the studio. It would be double standard to expect people to pay for my music otherwise

Finished watching the vids last night John - Really enjoyed watching how the track came together.

Jeez - Cubase looks a bit awkward at times, but you obviously know your way around it.

Liked seeing how you stuck that cubase reverb on everything and how freely you structured the track. Great seeing how other people work.

Good luck.

glad you liked it!

for some reason I use Reverb A on most sounds haha. i don’t know why…its simple and sound SOMEWHAT ok

What is it John - is it a grainy plate type one?

yeah, it comes when you buy Cubase

or not - LOL

Joke Mate :smiley: :cool:

________________________________–

Question for ya John - Whats the attitude of other well known producers about the whole “in the studio” thing?

Do the likes of FM ask loads of people & everyone says no, I dont want to share classified info - or is it all down to how busy someones schedule is & whether the planets are aligned?

For me it wasn’t a problem at least. I mean it’s pretty different, because I’m used to work by myself in the studio but all of a sudden I had these cameras there for several hours. And it wasn’t like I couldn’t work quitely, I had to explain every thing I did. I’m glad I finished a full track in one go.

And also, I’m pretty open and I often share tips on how to do things. Not sure everyone’s like that though.

Cool man :slight_smile:

Wow John, I am blown away that you are on our forum. You and a handful of producers have my utmost respect as everything you produce is amazing.

great thread! :slight_smile:

Dear John,

funny to see much more “original software” on your video…

He already explained that. Apparently he downloads the stuff first to check it out and buys it later on.

It did raise a question here. What right does lennard digital has? Or vengenace or any other company that produces samples and plugins. We saw that Avicii is using cracked programs aswell. Normally I am really carefull about my samples and the vsts that i use.

Can they claim something back? Can you lose your royalties? Or does the record company kick the track out? :stuck_out_tongue: im wondering what happens if they find out, or do they even try to find out?

I bet that half the stuff on beatport is made with cracked programs. Has anyone heard a story about a release gone wrong because of this?

[quote]royradadj (01/12/2011)[hr]He already explained that. Apparently he downloads the stuff first to check it out and buys it later on. [/quote]

So it looks like testing Sylenth, G-Force stuff etc. took a while… When this “testing phase” is over ? When you complete full album ? :wink:

What if he used ie. G-Force synth and after two months of using it, he decided that it’s crap ? The result is: he didnt pay for the product he used.

Seriously, if you earn money from music and you use warezed stuff - it is WRONG.

Think about the message you’re sending to young people, young, inexperienced producers. What kind of message is this ? “If you can’t afford the synth then go ahead, steal it” ??? Or maybe: “Do anything for the sake of completing the track - even download gigabates of nexus stuff from godknowshatshare.com

Actually, it only shows the state of XXI century EDM music - it’s very poor. The quality is very poor and morality too…

Also, about “try before you buy” attitude. If someone will book me for a gig and wont pay me after, isn’t it “try before you buy” too ?

I guess thats true, its a little more than sylenth :P,

Anyway thats why i wonderd what kind of consequences are there for this? I cant believe that the top artists are getting away with it, lets say if Steve Angello did not bought the vengeance pack he used to make Knas (the lead synth/bass is a veangence loop for the ones who don’t know) but he downloaded the samples.

He made a damn lot of money with it then and there is no way you can get around the fact that its a full loop, so vengeance got the right to ask for the proof that its bought right? what if Angello cant give it because its stolen (im not sayin it is by the way). Then what happens? Lennard digital can also send a message to Avicii and John asking for their serial key. But lets say they cant give it… now what?

[quote]royradadj (01/12/2011)[hr]He already explained that. Apparently he downloads the stuff first to check it out and buys it later on. [/quote]

I do this too BUT i use the official demo versions and NOT cracks!!!

Every caught crack-user tells such lame excuses… it’s registered in the meantime, i try before i buy (how long i want), all others do this too, i got no money, blablalba, …

[quote]royradadj (01/12/2011)[hr]It did raise a question here. What right does lennard digital has? Or vengenace or any other company that produces samples and plugins. We saw that Avicii is using cracked programs aswell. Can they claim something back? Can you lose your royalties? Or does the record company kick the track out? :stuck_out_tongue: im wondering what happens if they find out, or do they even try to find out? [/quote]

They can sue him (copyright) and take down all releases he made with the cracks!

I hope some company got the nuts and will do this in the future…

Yeah i was thinking that aswell, just wanted to make sure. Dont think it will happen though, never heard about tracks been pulled off beatport/itunes for this reason.

[quote]royradadj (01/12/2011)[hr]Yeah i was thinking that aswell, just wanted to make sure. Dont think it will happen though, never heard about tracks been pulled off beatport/itunes for this reason.[/quote]

I know that some labels did that in the past… i mean who wants to work together with a thief?

Anyway … John works/worked with cracks… and there is NO EXCUSE for that!

2 people who have registered today… having a converstation about John Dahlback being a cnut.

And someone called QuikQuak audio now, looking in the thread.

This seems a bit fishy to me.

Fair enough - he did it… but drop it now. This is not the place to find the answer to the problem.

This thread should be locked.

[quote]royradadj (01/12/2011)[hr]Yeah i was thinking that aswell, just wanted to make sure. Dont think it will happen though, never heard about tracks been pulled off beatport/itunes for this reason.[/quote]

Bear in mind a lot of label owners are theiving off their artists